Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I agree with you about their great elite treatment. It's just too bad the hotel itself is fairly standard and in such a lackluster part of town. It's actually the closest Marriott to my work location in Phoenix, but I almost always stay in Scottsdale due to the livelier environment...

Most definitely agree, its a convention hotel in the middle of nowhere. But my PHX activities are generally limited to work and standing in long lines for the greatest pizza in the world so little free time otherwise. And I've eaten NYC pizza all my life...

www.pizzeriabianco.com
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Absolutely agree with you on Bianco pizza. I'm originally from the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and spend quite a bit of time and money there when I am back visiting family. Love their food.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by moman
Just stayed at the Buttes last night and can confirm it's a dated property with poor customer service.

- Staff REQUIRES valet parking to check into the hotel. I see this as just a tip-generating mechanism.

- Room wasn't ready, 5-10 minutes turned into 45 with not any explanation or sorry. I was offered to go sit at the bar and have a drink (on my own dime) while I waited

- Property is dated. A/C system loud, boob-tube style TVs, and "City view" rooms are right on I-10 so lots of highway noise all night

+ Pools are nice, but don't make up for the remainder.

Synopsis: Avoid property.
When I was there about nine months ago, they didn't require that I valet park - only that I had a parking permit displayed in my car - the front desk gave it to me.

Rooms are a bit dated, but nothing that I thought would preclude me from staying there again. A/C is inefficient and old tvs - I had a room facing the pool, so mine wasn't loud.

I would stay there again, but when compared to the other properties in PHX, I'd stay at Desert Ridge or Camelback, whichever is more convenient.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We are partial to the JW. The pool really can't be beat for families, not to mention that it is close to a shopping center with a few family friendly dining options. I don't really get the comments about it not being convenient - to what? Maybe not to downtown PHX or Scottsdale, but everyone drives here anyway. I only go to PHX for the resort experience not business.

If I wasn't concerned about the pool or it was just the two of us I would probably opt for the Camelback, the rooms I've had were very large compared to most resorts, and the peace and privacy are nice.

Finally I just don't get the breakfast thing. You can pay the freight at the JW or Camelback, and can't afford to go out to breakfast at a local diner? Penny wise and pound foolish.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Finally I just don't get the breakfast thing. You can pay the freight at the JW or Camelback, and can't afford to go out to breakfast at a local diner? Penny wise and pound foolish.
I'm a business traveler, so I'm not paying for my own room. If I were, you'd better believe I'd be staying at the least expensive insect-free room. And when I travel for pleasure, I do so only on points - so once again, not paying for the room.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So your company or clients will pay for the room but not for breakfast??!! Come on, a man's gotta eat!

Most of my personal travel is paid (much of our business travel is to locations without chain hotels ) but I find paying a little more for a nicer property usually reaps a much higher quality level. There are many cheaper Marriott properties in PHX area but IMO none that approach the value provided by JW and Camelback. This is true for most other chains as well. Free breakfast certainly adds to the value for leisure stays with family but almost never the deciding factor.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:46 am

So your company or clients will pay for the room but not for breakfast??!! Come on, a man's gotta eat!

Most of my personal travel is paid (much of our business travel is to locations without chain hotels ) but I find paying a little more for a nicer property usually reaps a much higher quality level. There are many cheaper Marriott properties in PHX area but IMO none that approach the value provided by JW and Camelback. This is true for most other chains as well. Free breakfast certainly adds to the value for leisure stays with family but almost never the deciding factor.
Well, I get per-diem, so yeah I guess they do pay for it, but I don't want to spend it. I say it's smart, my wife says it's annoying.

And you're right - b-fast isn't the deciding factor. It's just nice.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Well, I get per-diem, so yeah I guess they do pay for it, but I don't want to spend it. I say it's smart, my wife says it's annoying.
Ahh, now I understand. Having subsisted on USG per diems of $56 per day in places like NYC I can definitely relate to your position! In fact I am reminded of the time I stayed at Camelback in August for something like $60 per night on the government rate, at no extra cost to the taxpayer
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:49 am

Ahh, now I understand. Having subsisted on USG per diems of $56 per day in places like NYC I can definitely relate to your position! In fact I am reminded of the time I stayed at Camelback in August for something like $60 per night on the government rate, at no extra cost to the taxpayer
I've changed projects so I no longer stay on USG rates, but it sure was nice - the Ritz-Carlton in Marina del Rey, the W in downtown Seattle, the Camelback in Scottsdale, the Blackstone in Chicago, Hotel 57 in NYC, The Vinoy in St Petersburg ... I could go on and on. Ahh, I miss those days... Now it's a Courtyard in Annapolis for me
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I stayed at the "Buttes" again last week, that stay was much better as the poolside rooms are much quieter. Some tips:

-Property is dated.

-Park at the rooms down the hill instead of in the circle drive. They REQUIRE you to temporarily valet your car while in the drive. This is the "tip generation" I described earlier. Then they'll offer to bring you to your room in a golf cart and deliver your car. Sorry, not going to do it.

-Pools are nice.

Again, unless you have to stay there or have an early flight, there are better Marriott options in PHX.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I'm at the Ritz Phoenix now. I don't recommend it. Older property with few amenities. It needs a major facelift.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
There have been many posts here in the past about the Cloud Club at this property as well as a handful of other Marriotts that get around the elite benefits guarantee by calling their special floor and lounge something other than a concierge or executive level.

That being said, I was treated very well at the JW Desert Ridge as a PP--huge room upgrade, nice snack basket with wine in the room at arrival, and pampering treatment all over the place. I asked if I could sneak a look at the Cloud Club lounge, even with a Marriott employee just so I could see if it would be worth paying on a future stay, and they wouldn't let me. Gotta pay to play, apparently!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
JW

That JW is a great resort but stop by a store first and get yourself some beverages and snacks because you will be raked over the coals for that stuff on site. I mean raked.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AA LfGLD, HH Gold, PC Plt, Marriott Plt
Stayed at Desert Ridge

I did pay for the upgrade/access to Cloud Club, 2 people in the room so worked out okay for 50US per night. Only paid 100US for the room, stayed at the beginning of Sept.

Get you breakfast, and free alcohol in the evening.

I would stay at the Ritz for a one nighter. The JW is in north phoenix.

SM
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Phoenix airport area- Fairfield Inn or Sprinhill Suites

I'm traveling to the Phoenix area mid-January and am looking for a hotel close to the airport. I'll be in town to attend a friend's wedding so won't be spending too much time in the room- looking more for the convenience of being near the airport for an early morning departure on Sunday. I'm trying to choose between the Fairfield Inn or the SpringHill Suites. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with these hotels to help me make my decision? I will have a rental car if that makes any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.