Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Old May 5, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I have actually been a guest at both the Desert Ridge and the Camelback, and they are as different as night and day. I would not necessarily consider Desert Ridge like new money per se, it is just a modern luxury hotel, and the Camelback is an old classic. Camelback was truly the first resort in the Marriott chain, personally purchased by the Marriott family back in 1968, after vacationing there multiple times over the previous two decades. AFAIK, it is still owned personally by the Marriott family, if not, then it is owned by MI now, but it has never been franchised like most hotels under the Marriott umbrella. I first stayed at the Camelback Inn in 1969, for a family wedding, and have stayed there several times since, and it is a timeless classic, never disappointing. I have also stayed at Desert Ridge, for a professional conference, and I loved that hotel too, with incredible golf course and/or mountain views from many/most of the large rooms. My memories at Desert Ridge were spending time with friends in the lobby and bar and of course in the business facilities for the conference, and the hotel never disappointed. I wish that I had checked out the club (it was Cloud Club at that time), but in reality, there was not much time. If I was going there now, I would pay the daily fee, it looks grand in all respects. I doubt that anyone would feel they went wrong going to either of these great resorts, with the only proviso being that Desert Ridge is farther removed from most of the Phoenix area attractions and better restaurants (even though there are lots of restaurants nearby, most of them are not what I would describe as unique or special, more chains) are not nearby, and same with the better shopping (higher end stores and boutiques which my female relatives frequent), which is more down by Old Scottsdale Scottsdale proper or in the Biltmore area of Phoenix. I have been to Phoenix MANY times (I have a very large extended family of over 23 relatives there) in the last 44 years, plus a few business trips, and have stayed in a variety of Marriott branded hotels and resorts in the area, my last visit to PHX was in 2010. I loved my experiences at both resorts, and I expect this would still be true for a return visit today.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by username
Wow, an optional add-on at this hotel costs more than a full night of stay at many other hotels in PHX... It is $75 now - do they add all the tourism taxes on top of that?
According to the hotel, they do add taxes to the $75 and with the taxes it comes out to $85 per person per night. So for a couple that is nearly $170 per night in addition to your room rate. At that price, not sure if its really worth it. Also, the person I spoke with said you must purchase the Griffin Club for all nights of your stay.

They also said with most packages that include a $50, $75 or $100 resort credits, you can not apply resort credits against the Griffin Club fee, as those credits are intended to cover other services at the resort, Spa, Golf, etc.

Will have to decide if I want to pony up $85 a night when I attend a conference there in October!

Regards,

RIP...
Old May 6, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OU812
According to the hotel, they do add taxes to the $75 and with the taxes it comes out to $85 per person per night. So for a couple that is nearly $170 per night in addition to your room rate.
That does sound excessive, yet supply and demand must apply--they wouldn't be able to charge that premium if folks weren't paying it. That being said, at least in the past, there were significant discounts for elite members based on tier.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That does sound excessive, yet supply and demand must apply--they wouldn't be able to charge that premium if folks weren't paying it. That being said, at least in the past, there were significant discounts for elite members based on tier.
I am wondering whether any recent Golds or Plats or even PPs have asked for a discount based on their status recently, and what was the result?
Old May 6, 2013, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
That being said, at least in the past, there were significant discounts for elite members based on tier.
When was that? When I paid for the club access, it was a flat fee & no elite discount.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
When was that? When I paid for the club access, it was a flat fee & no elite discount.

Cheers.
It was a few years ago, maybe 2010?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcmd
because the Ritz and Marriott club "rules" clearly state that children under 18 can't enter and need to be accompanied by an adult
Actually the number of Marriotts that bar under 18 from their club lounge is very slim. All require that they be accompanied by an adult.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Actually the number of Marriotts that bar under 18 from their club lounge is very slim. All require that they be accompanied by an adult.
+1
I have found this to be the case, worldwide (at least in North America, Europe, and Asia, I can't speak for South America or Africa or Australia yet). I actually can't think of a single instance where kids, accompanied by parents, were denied entrance.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by USirritated
+1
I have found this to be the case, worldwide (at least in North America, Europe, and Asia, I can't speak for South America or Africa or Australia yet). I actually can't think of a single instance where kids, accompanied by parents, were denied entrance.
I've seen it, but usually in the evening during cocktail hour. I'm assuming it has something to do w/ local liquor laws.

But if I was paying $75+/night I'd want to confirm in advance that the kids accompanied by adult would be ok.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:35 am

What is the best family Marriott in Scottsdale?

I've searched this forum and there are lots of people who recommend the JW's in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, however the JW's are a little out of my price range. We are a family of four with two children between five and ten years of age, so a nice pool is going to be a critical factor.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Stayed in an older style RI some 10 years ago which is perfect for young families. No idea if its still there or the pool situation.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:50 am

I vaugely remember that RI I think. They had these rooms that were like small dark apartments or casitas....totally unlike the new RI's today. I'm not sure if it's still there or not...I looked on the Marriott web site, however I didn't see anything that resembles what I remember.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Its is (was) the old style village and hut RI design I am very fond of.

Yup, they could be dark and stair climbing was often involved. I loved them because I was often upgraded to 2 level penthouses. Lots of space. Downside was having to go outside for breakfast.

Now they are like mini apartment buildings.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
http://www.jwdesertridgeresort.com/

not even CLOSE....NOT EVEN close....
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
http://www.jwdesertridgeresort.com/

you can get GREAT RATES THERE at times...$109 a night at times...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.