Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2001, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA

I just returned from a visit to the Springhill Suites, Phoenix Downtown. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone attending to business or pleasure when in downtown Phoenix, AZ.
  • The rooms are quite large (I didn't measure.) There is a good desk, small "kitchen" area, and a seperate sitting area.
  • The rooms were very quite. I was dreading as I found my room by the elevator; however, I never heard the elevator.
  • Internet is available through the TV at $9.95 for 24 hours. Looked similar to Web TV.
  • Real CNN!
  • The BIG one... Local Phone Calls are Free
  • The Other BIG one... Toll-Free Phone Calls are Free

------------------
Bob

There's no place like home...
there's no place like home...
there's no place like home.
www.wmonline.com
www.sunriseair.net

Old Apr 11, 2001, 9:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
With the exception of the Internet access, I will give the same recommendation to the Nashville airport SpringHill. I think it's my new favorite flag in the Marriott family.
Old Jan 4, 2002, 9:53 pm

SpringHill Suites - PHX/Tempe - Any input?

Have a 2 night stay there at the end of Jan. This is my first time at a SHS property.

Anyone stay there, or can you tell me about SHS in general.

Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2002, 10:06 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
They are all pretty generic. Small "suite" with a fridge maybe a wet bar. I would opt for the double/double vs the king room--you will get more space. Typical continental breakfast, decent pool. Family friendly-something between a CY and a FFI. I have stayed in 2 or 3 and the staff overall has been very friendly. Good Luck!

As a matter of fact I will be at the Scottsdale Rennaissance in 2 weeks. I will swing by the SHS and post on what I see.

[This message has been edited by foodguy (edited 01-04-2002).]
Old Jan 4, 2002, 10:20 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by foodguy:

As a matter of fact I will be at the Scottsdale Rennaissance in 2 weeks. I will swing by the SHS and post on what I see.

[This message has been edited by foodguy (edited 01-04-2002).]
</font>
Are you staying at the Scottsdale Reniassance Suites?

Old Jan 4, 2002, 11:36 pm

I believe there is a new spring hill suites property right downtown. It is just across the street from the baseball bark. It is actually in a very bad part of town and unless you have some reason to stay right there I would avoid it...just my opinion
Old Jan 5, 2002, 12:04 am

I've stayed in the one on Baseline...fairly new property in a decent area. As the above poster stated...they're fairly generic. You are very close to the Highway here..I believe it's Route 10.....you can walk to the mall from the hotel. Hotel has no restaurant...but there are plenty of places close to eat.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 8:23 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DADISGARYK:
Are you staying at the Scottsdale Reniassance Suites?

</font>
It is called the Renaissance Scottsdale Resort. I'm staying there 4 days for a seminar.

Old Jan 5, 2002, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
The SpringHill Suites Phoenix Airport/Tempe is a standard, newly built SpringHill property. It is located in a large undeveloped tract of land next to an AmeriSuites (formerly a Sumner Suites) and facing the Salt River.

The hotel is located directly below the flight path of the south runway. While no restaurants or points of interest are adjacent, the location is very car friendly. The Mill Avenue retail/dining district is within ten minutes. Sky Harbor Airport is a very quick ten minutes by car or complimentary shuttle. Old Town Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix are about 20 minutes away. The hotel is one block south of the SR-202 Red Mountain Freeway at Priest & Rio Salado Parkway.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 6:37 pm

I always use the hotel (on Baseline) when I'm on business in Tempe / PHX / Chandler. The Suites are fairly clean, and a shuttle bus is available if you need it. Typical continental breakfast, but you can always make your way out to Krispy Kreme across the street. It's across the street from the Arizona Mills outlet mega-mall, and there's even a Fry's Electronics nearby if you're a techie.

Transportation is fairly easily, being near the I-10 and US60.

[This message has been edited by ntamayo (edited 01-09-2002).]
Old Jan 6, 2002, 7:55 pm

Thanks to all for your input. I'm looking forward to my first SHS stay. Will report back here after I return.

Krispy Kreme across the street...
Old Jan 8, 2002, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shadow:
Krispy Kreme across the street...</font>
Unfortunately, the Krispy Kreme and Arizona Mills mall are across from the Baseline location (Tempe, AZ), NOT the Phoenix Airport (Tempe, AZ) location.

Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Marriott-family hotels near Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Which property does one have to choose when travelling to Scottsdale? The Camelback, the Mountain Shadows or should I even go with Hyatt?

Which one offers the better food, the more attractive pools and the nicer rooms with the better views? The Marriott Shadow Mountains is less expensive but how about its grounds and the service?

Muerz
Old Apr 25, 2002, 12:55 pm

I haven't been to the Marriot Camelback Inn, but I do like the Marriot Mountain Shadows. Nice place, decent restaurants. My comapany even had it's Christmas Party there one year. However, it wasn't a spectacular hotel. The only Spectacular Hotels that I've stayed at in Scottsdale are the Four Seasons Resort (which can be rather expensive) or the Fairmont Princess Resort (right next to the TPC). The Resort Suites (next door to the Princess) had very nice rooms, though the grounds are a little cramped, and is very affordable. My company puts visiting executives into the Resort Suites when they come into town.

Most of the Resorts in Scottsdale are nice, the older ones have some cramped grounds, but nothing too terribly wrong.

If you don't have to stay in Scottsdale there are some nice resorts outside of Scottsdale, like the Phoenician, and the Hyatt downtown is a nice City Hotel.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 2:28 pm
GG

We've been told that Mountain Shadows is closed right now. I believe part of it is being converted to time share units and part of it is being renovated as a hotel (they did something similar at the Maui Marriott not too long ago).

Camelback is far and away the nicest of the Marriotts in the area, and one of the nicest anywhere. I prefer it to the Hyatt as well, which does have a spectacular pool, but is still basically a giant high-rise hotel. Camelback's grounds with casitas (nothing taller than 2 stories) are really a world apart. There are also private cottages with their own pools, and the Spa is very nice.

The Golden Swan restaurant at the Hyatt has a good reputation (and a very high price to go with it), but we've not eaten there. The Chapparell Restaurant at Camelback was excellent, went downhill, and then seemed to regain most of its form. We have had some memorable meals there, but haven't been recently. It would clearly be the top choice of Marriott hotel restaurants. If you eat there, I'd like to hear how they're doing.

The Marriott Suites in Scottsdale is a perfectly nice property, very well located just off Scottsdale Rd., in central Scottsdale but much more ordinary.

There's also a businessman's Marriott near the airport, and a ton of Courtyards and Residence Inns scattered about. (We're actually booked at the airport Courtyard this weekend for the PHX Flyertalk gathering. Have not stayed there before, but it was very cheap.)

There are many fancy resorts in the area, but many, like the Boulders in Carefree (which is very speccy) and the WigWam in Litchfield, are so far out that you'd better plan on making them destinations in themselves, as either would be a long commute into the main shopping, dining and entertainment areas.

Personally, if you're a Marriott person, I don't think you should miss the chance to stay at Camelback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.