Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelersWife
Traveler is trying to use the Guarantee to extend his stay by one night in Denver next week. Platinum Premier group sent him to the hotel, who said his status should get him the extra night. Tried to book it and system wouldn't do it. Hotel said "We have used our maximum of these, so we can't do it." Try the regular reservations line......they say there isn't a reason so call the hotel......

I realize we have used this feature with success. We have also had times where we ran into a "event" that blocked our ability to use the guarantee, frustrating but nothing we could do. We understand how this deal works but it does not seem to be working now. Clients are already booked for the extended night - they just decided they wanted him to stay over the extra night as well. Any ideas of how to get this taken care of?

Thanks
I would call the Platinum Reservation line and have them do it. If they tell you to talk to the hotel directly, ask them to contact the hotel and make the reservation for you. If that doesn't work ask for a supervisor. No reason for you to contact the property directly, they should be able to handle all your reservation needs.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TravelersWife
Traveler is trying to use the Guarantee to extend his stay by one night in Denver next week. Platinum Premier group sent him to the hotel, who said his status should get him the extra night. Tried to book it and system wouldn't do it. Hotel said "We have used our maximum of these, so we can't do it." Try the regular reservations line......they say there isn't a reason so call the hotel......
Anyone know what the limit is? I don't see that in the T&Cs so is anything over one enough for an agent to say go away? Or is this another one of those "phantom" rules made up on the fly?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
The limit is 1 room per Plat or Plat Prem member per night.

It sounds like Traveler has a reservation for July 20-24 and unbeknown to him it was booked using the Platinum guarantee and he is trying to make a new reservation for July 20-25. As a result he would get the message "you have already used your Platinum guarantee" because he is trying to get another room for one of the nights of July 20-24 for which he already has a reservation. He should try to just book the single night he needs that is not covered by his current reservation and then he can have the reservations combined at the hotel.

Note: the dates I used above are for example purposes. If I happened to actually use the dates of Traveler's stay that is strictly a coincidence.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jul 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Does that only work for rooms booked with the standard price? Or does it also work for a room with a discounted (corporate rate) price?

I am trying to book a room at the Burbank hotel this coming Thursday, but it is sold out. Can I call and force a reservation even thought I am using a discounted rate?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
1. You don't need to call. Sign into marriott.com and you can book online. You can try your discount code by entering the 3 character code in the corporate / promotional code field.

2. Some hotels will honor corporate rates, some won't. Discount codes, probably not, but you never know until you try.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
2. Some hotels will honor corporate rates, some won't. Discount codes, probably not, but you never know until you try.
My understanding is at a FS property the Plat room overide rate will be the hotel's general corporate rate (i.e. won't be a specific company's negotiated rate.)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Originally Posted by hhoope01
My understanding is at a FS property the Plat room overide rate will be the hotel's general corporate rate (i.e. won't be a specific company's negotiated rate.)
That has not been my experience our company rate always gets used. Just last week it happened again. YMMV, but this is what has happened for me. Discount codes I do not know about.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Anyone know what the limit is? I don't see that in the T&Cs so is anything over one enough for an agent to say go away? Or is this another one of those "phantom" rules made up on the fly?
you are only allowed to use 365 of these each year (note: in leap years Marriott gives you 1 extra)...however you are only allowed to use 1 override each day
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sorka
Does that only work for rooms booked with the standard price? Or does it also work for a room with a discounted (corporate rate) price?

I am trying to book a room at the Burbank hotel this coming Thursday, but it is sold out. Can I call and force a reservation even thought I am using a discounted rate?
you can't "force" anything - your benefits give you a reservation as long as it's booked 48 hours in advance regardless of the hotels inventory situation, the rate quoted is subject to availability and will not be higher than the hotels standard corporate (for full service) or rack (for select / extended stay hotels)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sorka

I'm no expert but I've been told before that there were no rooms left at my company's (a pretty large one) corporate rate, but there were rooms left at the regular rate. So I find it hard to believe they would give you the corporate rate for a platinum guarantee...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the imput on my husbands Denver room. He tried again and the PP desk got more involved. They finally determined that the hotel HAD called Marriott and got permission to stop taking reservations under the guarantee for this period. The PP staff contacted the hotel and asked them to do whatever they could to find Traveler a room for the additonal night. The rep called him back today and said that it was not going to happen so he is going to get a room somewhere else for that night. We are thankful they really did try to help but still disappointed not to get the room. It's a little embarassing in front of clients!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.