Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2001, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone taken advantage of the MR Platinum Guaranteed Reservation at a hotel where there are NO ROOMS in they city?

My friend is going to the Penn State U Homecoming. No rooms to be found in the town. In theory, there is both a Courtyard and a Residence Inn in Happy Valley that I should be able to a get a room? Has anyone ever tried this?
Old Sep 10, 2001, 4:16 pm

Hello bltst2,

I have a coworker that used the "platinum guaranteed reservation" and while they received a room, they paid through the nose for it. So my guess is that they always save one or two rooms for an instance like this.

George...
Old Sep 10, 2001, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bltst2:
Has anyone taken advantage of the MR Platinum Guaranteed Reservation at a hotel where there are NO ROOMS in they city?
My friend is going to the Penn State U Homecoming. No rooms to be found in the town. In theory, there is both a Courtyard and a Residence Inn in Happy Valley that I should be able to a get a room? Has anyone ever tried this?
</font>
I have done it numerous times, BUT the guarantee is only valid at full service Marriotts and not at the Courtyard and the Residence Inn (unless this has changed recently).

Old Sep 10, 2001, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anandrag:
I have done it numerous times, BUT the guarantee is only valid at full service Marriotts and not at the Courtyard and the Residence Inn (unless this has changed recently).

</font>
Policy was changed awhile ago...all limited service hotels now have a "Platinum" guarantee similar to the full sevice hotels, but instead of 48 hrs in advance (full service policy) it's 72 hrs at the limited service hotels....NOTE: extended stay hotels do NOT participate in the Platinum Guarantee (ie...it won't work at Residence Inn)

Old Sep 11, 2001, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
There are special event blocks that may apply. I booked for last week in Omaha (Marriott) and they had special event rate because of the Notre Dame/NE game and could not give me the room even at Platinum status, but they were able to confirm the Courtyard (at a higher price, the hotel was sold out, but I was treated very well) at Platinum. So watch out for the special events, which supercede this guarantee.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I have found that almost anything can "qualify" as a special event so to a certain extent this perq is not that good as it appears. This also goes for the Hilton Diamond Guarentee. Does anyone know what qualifies as a special event?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by baglady:
There are special event blocks that may apply. I booked for last week in Omaha (Marriott) and they had special event rate because of the Notre Dame/NE game and could not give me the room even at Platinum status, but they were able to confirm the Courtyard (at a higher price, the hotel was sold out, but I was treated very well) at Platinum. So watch out for the special events, which supercede this guarantee.</font>
Old Sep 12, 2001, 12:05 pm
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
I have used the guaranteed room benefit many times.

The SLC 2002 Winter Olympics is blocked as no rooms for everyone.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 3:08 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by baglady:
There are special event blocks that may apply....</font>
I agree. I've used this guarantee 7 or 8 times to save my(and my client's) bacon, and was absolutely unable to do so 1 time. Not a bad average, for sure, but it is not bulletproof.
Old Sep 15, 2001, 9:50 pm

Along the same lines, has anyone ever sat at the Captain's table on a cruise as a result of using the Paltinum card? As I recall, it now is either Captain's Dinner or "Special Tour."

I sat at the Captain's table last year when I paid with my Gold Card, but I think it was just a coincidence since its not offerred for the Gold card.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Hi FT,

I'm using my plat guarantee to get a room in a sold out hotel. Of course I expect the price not to be good, but in addition to that they only guarantee me a suite.

I'm wondering is this correct or do they have to guarantee me a regular room?As I see it they could always offer the presidential suite as plat override making the guarantee less attractive.

Thanks!

Bege
Old May 12, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
A 10 year old thread?

The original first and last posts in the old part of this thread do cover some interesting dates though.
Old May 12, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Originally Posted by DillMan
A 10 year old thread?

The original first and last posts in the old part of this thread do cover some interesting dates though.
Waste not, want not.

Any idea the answer to my question?
Old May 12, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Bege,

Originally Posted by begemot
Hi FT,

I'm using my plat guarantee to get a room in a sold out hotel. Of course I expect the price not to be good, but in addition to that they only guarantee me a suite.

I'm wondering is this correct or do they have to guarantee me a regular room?As I see it they could always offer the presidential suite as plat override making the guarantee less attractive.

Thanks!

Bege
Could you PM the name of the hotel and the dates? I'd like to take a look.

Thanks,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 12, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Yay, Zombie Thread! At least you made a noble effort at a search.

As far as the Presidential Suite goes, I doubt they are going to walk a high paying booking so that can offer you the sticker-shock of the Presidential Suite at rack rate. Chances are you'll get a standard room but will pay top rate. You know the crazy rate that's posted on the back of the door or inside the closet? Yeah, expect that.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by plagwate
As far as the Presidential Suite goes, I doubt they are going to walk a high paying booking so that can offer you the sticker-shock of the Presidential Suite at rack rate. Chances are you'll get a standard room but will pay top rate. You know the crazy rate that's posted on the back of the door or inside the closet? Yeah, expect that.
Actually, you shouldn't expect the "rack" rate and normally won't get it. I do believe the hotel has to offer their normal "corporate" rate when you use the Plat room guarantee. The few times I have used it, the rates I received were not astronomical and very reasonable.

But everyone is correct in that the Plat room guarantee is only for a standard room, not for a suite room. So you don't have to worry about paying for something above a base level "standard" room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.