Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, you shouldn't expect the "rack" rate and normally won't get it. I do believe the hotel has to offer their normal "corporate" rate when you use the Plat room guarantee. The few times I have used it, the rates I received were not astronomical and very reasonable.

But everyone is correct in that the Plat room guarantee is only for a standard room, not for a suite room. So you don't have to worry about paying for something above a base level "standard" room.

+1

The couple of times I've used it for anotherwise "sold out" Marriott property, the Plat CSR said "well, let's just use the Platinum Overide", and viola, I got a room. And it's been a standard room, at a standard rate. In fact, the last time was at a Residence Inn, and within a 48 hr window, not 72 hrs.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, using it for my husband next week in downtown Atlanta- with a 165 rate. His buddy who is gold has to cab it in every day from mid-town. Plat override rocks!
Old May 12, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Originally Posted by plagwate
Yay, Zombie Thread! At least you made a noble effort at a search.

As far as the Presidential Suite goes, I doubt they are going to walk a high paying booking so that can offer you the sticker-shock of the Presidential Suite at rack rate. Chances are you'll get a standard room but will pay top rate. You know the crazy rate that's posted on the back of the door or inside the closet? Yeah, expect that.
thanks! My point is they only offer me a "platinum override" for a suite. I realize for any type of room I'll pay the "back of the door rate" I'd just rather pay that rate for a normal room them a suite.

Hoope01 online and by plat line they say the suite is what they offer for plat guarNtee/overide. Is there something in writting that says plat override should be a standard room?

Genevaflyer, you've got mail.

Last edited by begemot; May 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm
Old May 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by begemot
thanks! My point is they only offer me a "platinum override" for a suite. I realize for any type of room I'll pay the "back of the door rate" I'd just rather pay that rate for a normal room them a suite.

Hoope01 online and by plat line they say the suite is what they offer for plat guarNtee/overide. Is there something in writting that says plat override should be a standard room?

Genevaflyer, you've got mail.
begemot...are you calling the hotel directly, or the Plat line for the reservation?

You might have better luck with the Plat concierge service. In general, my experience has been that if the locally-owned property either doesn't understand some aspect of the T&Cs...or doesn't WANT to understand...then talking to the Plat concierge at corporate will often help.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
begemot...are you calling the hotel directly, or the Plat line for the reservation?

You might have better luck with the Plat concierge service. In general, my experience has been that if the locally-owned property either doesn't understand some aspect of the T&Cs...or doesn't WANT to understand...then talking to the Plat concierge at corporate will often help.
Hi thegasguru,
  1. I first called platinum reservation line who said they see the suite as guarantee platinum offer.
  2. I then asked them to call the hotel for me to try to get regular room as plat reservation.
  3. After a couple min on hold plat res came back on the line apoligized and said the local hotel front desk claimed no rooms at all and they didn't know what a plat guarantee was.
  4. I then asked plat reservation line to book suite, wrote gm with my res # asking for regular room and have not heard back yet.

Bege
Old May 12, 2011, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
By chance did you log into your online account (using your Plat credentials) and try to reserve a room online? The online tool will actually bypass all the "people" and give you the Plat override automatically. (In fact, it can sometimes cause confusion when Plats see a room but no award inventory. They think the hotel is doing something shifty to get out of offering award rooms, when in reality the Plat is getting an override room.)

If you tell us the hotel and the dates, someone here can verify if we see something different and can make the reservation or not.

Note it is possible that the hotel has a Marriott approved black-out of the override. This happens when an event or group reserves virtually all the rooms at a hotel. Usually this is a big event like the Superbowl or the Olympics, but it can be just a local company having some "event" and blocking out a particular hotel's inventory.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by hhoope01
By chance did you log into your online account (using your Plat credentials) and try to reserve a room online? The online tool will actually bypass all the "people" and give you the Plat override automatically. (In fact, it can sometimes cause confusion when Plats see a room but no award inventory. They think the hotel is doing something shifty to get out of offering award rooms, when in reality the Plat is getting an override room.)
I did check, and for 2 of the 3 nights in question, I only see the suite being offered, whereas the 3rd night shows a normal room at a special event rate.

I'm thinking that this is indeed a MI authorized override, but maybe the Plat desk can look into it.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 13, 2011, 3:55 am

Hi FT,

So the GM wrote me back today and agreed to put me in the normal room at the special event rate. I'm of course happy about this.

Thanks all for help and advice.

Bege
Old May 13, 2011, 8:52 am

Glad to hear that it worked out.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by begemot
Hi FT,

So the GM wrote me back today and agreed to put me in the normal room at the special event rate. I'm of course happy about this.

Thanks all for help and advice.

Bege
w00t!!
Old May 14, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have found that almost anything can "qualify" as a special event so to a certain extent this perq is not that good as it appears. This also goes for the Hilton Diamond Guarentee. Does anyone know what qualifies as a special event?
To answer Trojan's 10 year old question, which was really never answered.... Special events are any type of event where basically the whole town is likely to be sold out of all hotel rooms, and especially for any events where there will be an abundance of Platinum guests (thereby bumping one Platinum guest for another Platinum guest invoking the guarantee, and that bumped guest then calling to make another rez, invoking the guarantee, thereby creating a vicious circle).

Examples of this would be dates such as the Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett's stockholders) Annual Meeting (I checked, virtually every room in the Omaha Marriott was taken by Platinum guests, who have standing reservations for every year at the same time) where I tried to get rooms for myself and family, and best we could do was 8 miles away in Council Bluffs, Iowa (not bad, not unreasonable). Another example of a special event would be a major sports event, such as the Super Bowl (where every room for 50 - 100 miles will be sold out).

Keep in mind, while the Platinum guarantee is for the person booking the room with that status, and the hotel hopes to have their standard 2-5% no shows/cancellations, so as not to have to walk anyone, the hotel must allow for the possibility of walking one or more guests, those actually bumped by the guarantee, to another hotel nearby. If it is a special event such as either listed above, there will be no reasonable, nearby, comparable open rooms (meaning from a FS Marriott to FS Hilton or Westin; OR from a Courtyard to a Hilton Garden Inn or a Hyatt Place) for those guests to be booked into/walked to, thereby making the guarantee impracticable or impossible, or a practical impossibility. Marriott can't strand people without a hotel room anywhere, that would be a logistical and public relations nightmare!

Marriott does not use special events as an excuse for not allowing the guarantee on some dates, it is simply a matter of being realistic, almost not being able to violate laws of physics.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
OK, I am trying for the JW in Cancun for a week in February. The web doesn't even offer it because it is sold out. I called the Platinum reservation line last nite and she said that she was unable to book. No special event, just high season in Cancun.

Will try the hotel directly, but probably wait till Monday to do it as I assume managers with authority are off on weekends.

But why couldn't the res line get me a platinum override?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RobertS975
But why couldn't the res line get me a platinum override?
Because there is an event at the hotel
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by socrates
Because there is an event at the hotel
Would like the JW Marriott Ihilani in October and cannot book it as a Platinum. Is this high season considered worthy of blocking?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jisaac
Would like the JW Marriott Ihilani in October and cannot book it as a Platinum. Is this high season considered worthy of blocking?
High season or low season isn't the issue. If there is some event occuring where that "event" has effectively taken over all the hotel's inventory, then that hotel will have an exception to the 48 hour room availability guarantee. The event can be something huge like the Superbowl or Olympics. The event can be something much less widely known like the annual Basketweavers convention. The issue is that the event has taken over the hotel's room inventory and the hotel is contractually obligated to offer all its rooms to that event.

These events could happen during the hotel's high, low or mid season. But for the nights of the event, the hotel no longer controls its room inventory.

Note his does not apply to smaller "events" that may reserve a block of hotel rooms, but not the whole hotel's room inventory. I may have a group coming and sign a contract with Marriott for 20 rooms for 2 nights. In this case, the hotel still has room inventory to play with as my "event" doesn't use up all the available room inventory for the hotel. So it wouldn't affect your ability to invoke the 48 hour Plat room guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.