Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2002, 7:25 am

Set your expectations low and you will only be slightly dissapointed
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:30 am
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
I was there two weeks ago. It is better than the Tokyo Marriott, which isn't saying much. The rooms are small by American standards, but not that bad compared to some Japanese Hotels that I have stayed in. The A/C being turned of is typical of Japan, but also Europe in the Winter. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is the draw of this hotel, not only to shopping and entertainment, but also to Tokyo Station. They also have excellent weekend rates. Breakfast coupons were given without asking, as well as fruit basket in room on arrival.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 7:23 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
My company had a "Special rate" with this hotel. The hotel staff tried to say that the special rate precluded them from offering normal elite benefits.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Mar 20, 2002, 1:59 pm

Just finished our stay at this property (hint: many Tokyo cab drivers willunderstand you better if you mention "Ginza Tobu," the original name of the hotel, as opposed to "Renaissance Tokyo").

As far as elite perks, we were upgraded to the 10th floor "Renaissance Level," received vouchers for breakfast and bar drinks, got a daily newspaper delivered to our room, and received breakfast room service one morning when my wife was under-the-weather.

The room on the 10th floor is indeed on the small side by Western standards, but IMHO entirely comfortable. The cable radio with 100+ stations piped through the guest rooms gave a unique experience to relax with channels as varied as Japanese Pop, Koto instrumentals, SF Bay Area radio, or even 24h "Auld Lang Syne" and "Maternal Heartbeat," for the unborn fetus in all of us

I think in order to stay in the 11th-floor "Executive Suites," you either have to pay top-dollar or be an extra-special elite; I'm not even sure if just being Platinum is enough. There seemed to be a concierge-club type area on the 11th, but it appeared closed throughout our stay (Thu-Mon).

As stated in previous posts, Ginza Tobu's location is the big draw. Just a short walk to the Higashi-Ginza subway took us everywhere we needed to go. Its proximity to the Tsukiji Fish Market made it easy to get the freshest sushi one could have in the city.

To sum up, the elite benefits may not be on par with the traditional MR program, but the attentive staff, comfortable guest rooms, and location make up for it. I would definitely return to this property on a future stay.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 9:17 pm

Programs: Many
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TxLobo:
AC is turned off in the winter and the rooms tend to get unusually hot on the warmer days.</font>
In Japan it seems to be an either/or proposition. In the fall they turn off the A/C on some date (I want to say 10/1) whether or not it is still needed, and leave it off until probably May 1 (whether or not it is needed). They are very specific about this, and I've run into it in hotels all over Honshu and Kyushu.

Old Apr 20, 2002, 5:11 pm

Im back in Tokyo this week and stayed at the Renaissance Tokyo (Tobu Ginza) again. This time I had absolutely no problems getting my upgrade and breakfast coupons. Very nice change from the last time I stayed here. The room I was upgraded to was also much nicer than the last time I was here. Its on the 10th floor which has restricted access.

as always the staff was immensely polite and helpfull...... and its so close to everything. Still missed my Platinum gift though...

------------------
AA member since 1981

[This message has been edited by TxLobo (edited 04-20-2002).]
Old Apr 22, 2002, 1:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TxLobo:
Im back in Tokyo this week and stayed at the Renaissance Tokyo (Tobu Ginza) again. This time I had absolutely no problems getting my upgrade and breakfast coupons. Very nice change from the last time I stayed here. The room I was upgraded to was also much nicer than the last time I was here. Its on the 10th floor which has restricted access.

as always the staff was immensely polite and helpfull...... and its so close to everything. Still missed my Platinum gift though...

</font>
TxLobo,

Did you attempt to visit the executive level(11F) during your stay, where a lounge seating area is located just outside the elevator?

Just wondering if this gets opened as a "concierge lounge" during the week. It was unoccupied during my stay last month.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 8:38 pm

I noticed the 11th floor coming and going to my room and asked about it. I was told it was presently unoccupied.........

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Apr 23, 2002, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yeah, that's what they tell the gaijin. As I said earlier, I have never been treated worse at a Marriott-family hotel. I would NEVER stay here again, even if it were free.

Bruce
Old Apr 23, 2002, 8:08 am

What is with the listed bed types in this hotel? On the Marriott website all the rooms on offer, except the most basic 'Quality Room', only have one queen bed.

I will be travelling with a male friend and need two beds, but do not specially care about the Renaissance Ginza's quality rooms.

Has anyone been in a nicer room with two beds, be they single or larger?

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 04-23-2002).]
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:53 am

I have stayed a couple of times in the Basic room, with two singles. They are more like Twin beds, very small and truly only for one person per bed.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Jun 3, 2002, 2:00 am

I stayed at the Renaissance Ginza twice last month, once in a standard room with two beds and once on the 10th 'Renaissance' floor.

The only differences between them are:
- two free packs of coffee on 10th floor rooms
- free breakfast and drink coupon on the 10th, as opposed to a discount on drinks coupon
- perhaps bathrobes on the 10th (I don't remember for sure)

The rooms are exactly the same in size and furnishings. Plastic slippers only in both.

Nice touches: Herald Tribune delivered in both cases, instead of the cheaper local English papers; bath sponges.

As in a number of the hotels I stayed at during this trip (incl. Westin Tokyo and Sheraton Yokohama), the bellboys were bellgirls during the day. One was limping and the other was very grateful when I handled my heavy suitcase myself.

No miles posted yet, Starwood's all posted within 3 days...
Old Jun 7, 2002, 8:52 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by unagi1:
In Japan it seems to be an either/or proposition. In the fall they turn off the A/C on some date (I want to say 10/1) whether or not it is still needed, and leave it off until probably May 1 (whether or not it is needed). They are very specific about this, and I've run into it in hotels all over Honshu and Kyushu.

</font>
Exception is top end hotels. I always stay at the Imperial. Last winter, they had an engineer in my room within 5 minutes of my call indicating that I thought the air conditioner wasn't working adequately.
Old Aug 9, 2002, 12:41 pm

Tokyo Renaissance

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott-affiliated Resaissance in the Ginza dsitrict of Tokyo? Any comments/suggestions pro or con. My wife and I are planning to pass thru Tokyo in December and spend 2 nites there.
Old Aug 9, 2002, 12:41 pm

Tokyo Renaissance

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott-affiliated Resaissance in the Ginza dsitrict of Tokyo? Any comments/suggestions pro or con. My wife and I are planning to pass thru Tokyo in December and spend 2 nites there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.