Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Yes, breakfast was free -- but not sure why.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: Onepass Infinite Plat.MM, UA 1K,Marriott PP,Hertz gold,Hyatt Gold,AA NADA,CO P-CLUB LIFETIME,UA CLUB
Thumbs up Marriott San Jose CR.

Fantastic property, excellent service, a haven near the airport & without a doubt, the best CL ever. It is staffed by at least 2 people at all times, great snacks (better than their restaurant), open until midnite.

Restores my faith a little^
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
That is definitely good to hear.

I have to admit that I haven't stayed at the San Jose Marriott in a while though. I usually stay at the Santa Clara Marriott instead due its location and the service I have received from its management there.

But its nice to hear that it looks like the Marriotts in this area are well run and have service oriented management. ^
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:19 am
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
I'm confused. Is the OP taking about San Jose, Costa Rica or San Jose, California? Doesn't the San Jose CR mean it's the Costa Rica property?

Last edited by LKO; Oct 9, 2009 at 10:19 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by hhoope01
That is definitely good to hear.

I have to admit that I haven't stayed at the San Jose Marriott in a while though. I usually stay at the Santa Clara Marriott instead due its location and the service I have received from its management there.

But its nice to hear that it looks like the Marriotts in this area are well run and have service oriented management. ^

This is got to be a flytertalk classic....
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LKO
I'm confused. Is the OP taking about San Jose, Costa Rica or San Jose, California? Doesn't the San Jose CR mean it's the Costa Rica property?
It probably does. That is my bad. I was recently at the Santa Clara Marriott and just had it on my mind. And instead of actually reading the title, I just saw "San Jose CA".

Oh, well, I've yet to make it to Costa Rica, but I definitely want to try to take the family to the new JW down there.^
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
It probably does. That is my bad. I was recently at the Santa Clara Marriott and just had it on my mind. And instead of actually reading the title, I just saw "San Jose CA".

Oh, well, I've yet to make it to Costa Rica, but I definitely want to try to take the family to the new JW down there.^
Don't feel bad. I was thinking the same thing and wondering if I should change my reservations from the Westin in Palo Alto to the San Jose Marriott. The CR didn't register @:-).

Bobette
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I do love that propoerty as well...I used it as an overnight on my way back home. Just a perfect little sanctuary tucked away in the city.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
We stayed there the last two night of our honeymoon (Bay islands, Los Suenos, Arenal, San Jose) and absolutely LOVED it. It was definitely a 'sanctuary' in an area you didn't expect it. The Lounge was just as incredible back then. We didn't eat dinner onsite, there are some great restaurants in San Jose.

We ate lunch at McD's one day. it was quite funny. My husband was trying to order in spanish and the kid behind the counter looks at him and says "What do you want?" lol.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well when if the OP means Costa Rica, the San Jose CA Marriott does have an excellent CL with great staff especially in the evening.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by onepassass
Fantastic property, excellent service, a haven near the airport & without a doubt, the best CL ever. It is staffed by at least 2 people at all times, great snacks (better than their restaurant), open until midnite.

Restores my faith a little^
Allow me to disagree.

I am staying there at the moment and it's my ~6th stay I think (first stay was in 2005). Since then service level in the hotel was showing clear trend downhill.

Fast forward to Nov 2009:
- hotel seem to be empty. one restaurant is closed, menu in another one probably changed ~25% since 2005 however prices are up ~50%.
- it seem that they staffed 75% of the positions with trainees who is not really sure what to do. Room service is spotty - they still clean well but quite often forgot to put shampoo/conditioner. It took more than 24 hours for bathrobe ordered at check-in to reach the room
- apparently this hotel does not follow upgrade policy (maybe because they consider themselves a "resort"). I never been upgraded.

Although nothing in this stay (yet) was as shocking as in last one (when I found a cockroach frozen into ice cube in CL ice basket) I would prefer better workforce management and more consistent service.

AX
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
if any one wants to take tghe chance

its on the EEO list
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by AX9465
Allow me to disagree.

I am staying there at the moment and it's my ~6th stay I think (first stay was in 2005). Since then service level in the hotel was showing clear trend downhill.

Fast forward to Nov 2009:
- hotel seem to be empty. one restaurant is closed, menu in another one probably changed ~25% since 2005 however prices are up ~50%.
- it seem that they staffed 75% of the positions with trainees who is not really sure what to do. Room service is spotty - they still clean well but quite often forgot to put shampoo/conditioner. It took more than 24 hours for bathrobe ordered at check-in to reach the room
- apparently this hotel does not follow upgrade policy (maybe because they consider themselves a "resort"). I never been upgraded.

Although nothing in this stay (yet) was as shocking as in last one (when I found a cockroach frozen into ice cube in CL ice basket) I would prefer better workforce management and more consistent service.

AX
Finding a cockroach frozen in an ice cube would be a maker-breaker for me. I just can't imagine how this could happen. We found the Courtyard property at Ezcazu outside of San Jose to be the best CY property we had ever stayed at. And the restaurants across the street from the CY, including a great Cuban place and an American steak house, were great choices. They had a great breakfast at the CY; my wife still talks about their orange juice mixed mith mango.

Last edited by maltasr; Nov 6, 2009 at 8:47 am Reason: error in punctuation
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by maltasr
And the restaurants across the street from the CY, including a great Cuban place and an American steak house, were great choices.
FYI - Cuban restaurant is gone and the Argentinian restaurant expanded into that area.

There are also a Tapas, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, and Peruvian restaurants available in the same area. The Tapas and Italian restaurants are the best IMO, with the Argentinian restaurant coming in a close third. FWIW, the coffee shop has closed too.

There was also one other restaurant that looked nice and was buffet style, but had absolutely no customers which in my mind was not a good sign. It was located between the Japanese and Tapas restaurant. I kind of felt sorry for them.

And for those less adventurous souls who want chain restaurants there is always Outback and Hooters.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
FYI - Cuban restaurant is gone and the Argentinian restaurant expanded into that area.

There are also a Tapas, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, and Peruvian restaurants available in the same area. The Tapas and Italian restaurants are the best IMO, with the Argentinian restaurant coming in a close third. FWIW, the coffee shop has closed too.

There was also one other restaurant that looked nice and was buffet style, but had absolutely no customers which in my mind was not a good sign. It was located between the Japanese and Tapas restaurant. I kind of felt sorry for them.

And for those less adventurous souls who want chain restaurants there is always Outback and Hooters.
When I looked at the Marriott directory for Costa Rica, it does not show a CY for Escazu.
Instead there is a Residence Inn which looks brand new and very inviting so I guess that's where we'll be staying next time. Do you know what became of the CY?? It was too new to have been bulldozed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.