Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
There is an extensive thread on all properties in Costa Rica and the most recent post is yesterday.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:46 am

I thought this list was very helpful too: TOP 10 Hotels in Costa Rica.
Punta Islita (Marriott) and Nayara Tented Camp were my favorites, the W and the El Mangrove are great too.
Mr. Vker and Dzigavertov like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
We (couple) are hoping to finally visit Costa Rica this year, perhaps late April/early May before it gets too rainy.

I have five free nights (50k each from Chase Visa offer last year) burning a hole in my pocket. Also some 100k points with the ability to top off from Amex or Chase if a few more points are needed. I have just Bonvoy Gold status, so no free breakfast or upgrade likely.

Looking at the various Bonvoy properties, I am not really sure which one would work best for us, so I am looking for suggestions/advice from you all. Most of the property-specific threads have been fairly quiet in recent months.

We would have a rental car, could fly into either SJO or Liberia depending on what would be easier.

We are looking for a nice beach resort. No interest in all inclusive. Interested in seeing some of the country outside the resort (hence rental car). Would like ability to eat at local restaurants (zero interest in being forced into $$$ buffet breakfast).

I am currently leaning towards the W. Its “cool” vibe isn’t really my thing, and the loud pool music sounds somewhat annoying, but I figure we are not actually going to spend all day every day at the pool.

What are your recommendations for a first time visitor? Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
We (couple) are hoping to finally visit Costa Rica this year, perhaps late April/early May before it gets too rainy.

I have five free nights (50k each from Chase Visa offer last year) burning a hole in my pocket. Also some 100k points with the ability to top off from Amex or Chase if a few more points are needed. I have just Bonvoy Gold status, so no free breakfast or upgrade likely.

Looking at the various Bonvoy properties, I am not really sure which one would work best for us, so I am looking for suggestions/advice from you all. Most of the property-specific threads have been fairly quiet in recent months.

We would have a rental car, could fly into either SJO or Liberia depending on what would be easier.

We are looking for a nice beach resort. No interest in all inclusive. Interested in seeing some of the country outside the resort (hence rental car). Would like ability to eat at local restaurants (zero interest in being forced into $$$ buffet breakfast).

I am currently leaning towards the W. Its “cool” vibe isn’t really my thing, and the loud pool music sounds somewhat annoying, but I figure we are not actually going to spend all day every day at the pool.

Depends on the couple, but I can't imagine personally wasting a trip to Costa Rica on the beach unless you're surfing. Find your way to the jungle.

As someone above said, Nayara Springs or Nayara Tented Camp are magical. If above your price point, there's a very cool, more affordable resort like Tabacon Thermal Springs.

Flying into SJO, there's a wonderful Marriott nearby that's good for an overnight after a long flight or a day or two at the end of the trip.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by applesauce
Depends on the couple, but I can't imagine personally wasting a trip to Costa Rica on the beach unless you're surfing. Find your way to the jungle.

As someone above said, Nayara Springs or Nayara Tented Camp are magical. If above your price point, there's a very cool, more affordable resort like Tabacon Thermal Springs.
I suspect we will, one of these years, do a jungle/mountains trip, but this isn’t going to be it. My one day in CR so far was a side trip from a cruise stop in Puntarenas. Up the mountain to “see” a volcano completely covered in rain clouds/fog. We’ll do that trip in the dry season. I am not a surfer, but I like beautiful beaches, warm (?) water. And a few days of relaxing with some jungle hikes/beach walks.

Now, I am usually not one to let a loyalty program or cert or pile of points drive my vacation plans (primary reason why Hyatt Glob isn’t a realistic goal for me). But in this case I do have five certs that I want to use for a nice trip (and not Hawaii or Florida) in reasonable travel distance from the west coast.

The Nayara Springs and Nayara Tented Camp properties look awesome. Not really my target price point, though, but I think we can find something suitable.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jan 16, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

We found the beaches down by Samara, near Punta Islita, better than those on the west part of the Papagayo Peninsula, and the villages a bit more charming than the mega resorts.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:50 am

We just got back from Costa Rica, We flew into Liberia airport and stayed 3 nights at the W Costa Rica-Reserva Conchal on points and 5 nights at the Planet Hollywood using 5 50K certs. We had to top up the 50 k certs a couple of the days for a total of 33k points. I am lifetime platinum so we received breakfast at the W included. The W had a laid back vibe, both pools were very quiet and relaxing. The beach is just steps from the resort and very nice, white sand and swimable. Our room was a sunset treehouse room and we loved it, probably one of the best views we have had. We hired a driver and it was about 75 minutes from the airport. At the Planet Hollywood the certificates were my husbands and he is only Silver. They would not let me add my status to his reservation so no additional benefits there but the resort is all inclusive and was well worth the points used. Beach is black sand and we didn't get in the water but was great to walk along. Pool was loud and full of energy and was fine but we did three days of tours from here so we weren't there much. Restaurants, food and service were excellent. It is about 30 minutes from the airport. We loved both resorts and wouldn't hesitate going back to either one.
notquiteaff and YYZTHF like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perk251
We loved both resorts and wouldn't hesitate going back to either one.
Thank you for sharing your impression.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Costa Rica Marriott Hotel Hacienda Belen:

This is a surprise to find such a traditional building so close to airport/city. The architecture is antique and gives a different cool vibe. The courtyard and rooms are really nice.
Nice gardens, vegetable garden, coffee plantations on property, golf course and mountain views from the executive room balcony.
The staff at the executive lounge is very helpful and always cheerful. Good breakfast and evening snacks.

There were local vendors selling crafts one day.
It felt like they have some private events every day.

Here is a video of the property.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:48 pm

Best hotel for a week for a romantic couple getaway? Points/money aren’t really an issue within reason.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
Best hotel for a week for a romantic couple getaway? Points/money aren’t really an issue within reason.
Not a Marriott but Nayara Springs and associated properties are amazing. There's also a hotel down the road with a massive natural springs/pools complex (ok property but not comparable for a stay, can pay daily springs access).

Marriott in San Jose treats elites well. Nice property but hardly romantic.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if the Westin Playa Conchal still does Day Passes and if so what they currently cost? We are staying at the W in March for 5 nights but are not planning to do the all-inclusive due to the cost (there are 4 of us), and were thinking the Westin day pass may be a more cost effective option for one day based on the prices we’d heard previously ($100-$120/person). Price for the W all-inclusive is around $250/person/day (incl. tax).
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:54 am

Courtyard Alajuela (SJO Airport)

LTP
·
Booked least expensive non pre-pay room available, about 3 weeks out. Checked price a couple of times and found it only increased.

· Arrived early, about 90 minutes, and room was not ready yet. (I had chatted the prior day asking for early check-in and they replied that it was unlikely.)

· Given a suite – a real suite. I think only three room types anyway – king, queen X 2, and the suite. It looked like only 1 suite per floor per the emergency exit plan.

· I’ve never been upgraded to a suite at a CY (LTP), even at properties where my group frequented for weeks at a time.

· Standard check-in spiel, but including a welcome drink and a $10 F&B credit. If I wasn’t hungry, I’d taken the points.

· Had lunch – food was tasty and plentiful. (This property has a real restaurant, decent menu, and reasonable prices.)

· The suite was huge. Frankly, it would have been a perfect long-term work/stay situation if it had a cooktop. There was a 1/3 size refrigerator, i.e. larger than a mini-fridge.

· There was the local version of a Nespresso machine, but it seemed to be malfunctioning. There was complementary coffee in the lobby.

· I had a welcome gift of sliced fresh fruit and a cookie; something else I’ve never received ay a CY.

· Breakfast buffet appeared to be extensive and included an egg station all though I did not partake.

· A shuttle ran every 30 minutes to the airport.

· There is a Walmart next door, as well as several restaurants across the street. I did buy a few provisions at the Walmart, but did not check out the restaurants. Note that the town of Alajuela, a short ride away, has local restaurants.

· Traffic is horrible in the area. If you want to explore San Jose or its outer environs, stay in San Jose. I took an Uber to Escazu and it took almost an hour at 7 PM.

· Re: Uber. The airport shuttle was not mentioned at check-in. I asked about Uber to the airport. She mentioned that Uber was illegal at the airport and she’d be happy to reserve a taxi. It wasn’t until I saw the shuttle outside that and realized that there was a shuttle. Not sure why she didn't mention that. (And partially my error - I could have sworn I had read that the property did not have a shuttle.)

· The pool had comfortable loungers, plenty of towels, toys for the kiddos.

· The gym was well equipped, had a filtered water dispenser, and fresh fruit.
Jiatong likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.