Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 2001, 6:18 am
Original Poster

I'm planning atrip to Costa Rica in February,has anyone had any experiences at both properties,San Jose Marriott and Los Suenos marriott resort???
Old Jan 4, 2001, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
I have stayed at the Marriott San Jose a couple years ago nice property, shuttle from airport. You need a car or other transportation to downtown.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Jan 4, 2001, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Of course, downtown San Jose is not exactly the place to be. Many people who go to Costa Rica use San Jose as an arrival gateway and take off from there, avoiding the capital altogether. Having spent about 6 days total in downtown San Jose, I would have to say there's not a whole lot to recommend it.

By the way, if you just need a hotel for a night, the Hampton Inn by the airport is just fine and probably quite a bit less than the Marriott.

[This message has been edited by dgolds (edited 01-04-2001).]
Old Jan 5, 2001, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I love that Hampton! It's convenient to the airport (across the highway) and there's a RostiPollo (think Kenny Roger's Roasters with a latin feel) right next door! I love that little chain in Costa Rica. They have incredible chicken there and it's dirt cheap.
Old Jan 5, 2001, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Yes to Hampton Inn and the chicken joint. Of course we're assuming you just want to stay near the airport. The Marriott is nice, but you're not next to anything but Intel.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 7:49 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed, it's off the beaten path!
Old Jan 6, 2001, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Mmmmm, RostiPollo

In Panama, it's Pio Pio! http://www.dgolds.com/Panama/David.htm

[This message has been edited by dgolds (edited 01-06-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 2001, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

staying AT sanjose marriott 2/14 one night@US129,going to los suenoos marriott 5 nights @US189(incl full breakfast)and back to san jose marriott($129)
hopefully los suenos marriott meets all my expectations ...will report back about this property...
Old Feb 5, 2001, 9:05 pm

Unless you need the points for a Marriott/airline promotion stay at the Inter-Continental.. it is a MUCH nicer hotel right across the street from the largest indoor shopping mall in the country and it is in the most affluent suburb of San Jose.

Originally posted by sjk616:
staying AT sanjose marriott 2/14 one night@US129,going to los suenoos marriott 5 nights @US189(incl full breakfast)and back to san jose marriott($129)
hopefully los suenos marriott meets all my expectations ...will report back about this property...
Old Feb 6, 2001, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I am assuming you are going on vacation. If so, then I would suggest Los Suenos. The place is simple awesome. I have stayed there twice and never had a problem.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 11:05 am

Raul and Janet- You should really enjoy the San Jose Marriott-you should have a fun 10 stay using your reward, hopefully you'll get out to the coast and try the Marriott out there too. Hampton there at airport-good towards the 50,000 point Hilton point bonus-Have a great time-Bobby!
Old Jul 12, 2001, 8:29 pm

Marriott Los Suenos in Costa Rica

Has anyone syated at the Marriott Los Suenos in Costa Rica? We are looking to use a 10-night cert at a category 6 or 7 hotel and this one looks nice. However, we don't know much about the area. Would that be too long to be there?
Old Jul 14, 2001, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Stayed at Los Suenos resort this past February,very nice property,fantastic pool,but beach is horrible...have to wear shoes to bypass the rocks and gravel to get to the water...food in hotel great and fairly priced,but you will get a little tired of those same menus after 10 days...Jaco...the closest town(3-4 miles away) has a lot to be desired so you are pretty much confined to the resort,10 days is way to long here,actually cut our 5 night stay here to 4 and returned to the san jose marriott which is more centrally located for more day excursions....Costa Rica is a beautiful country...enjoy...but 10 days at LOS SUENOS is a liitle too long IMHO>
Old Dec 9, 2001, 7:28 pm

Las Suenos Marriott -- Costa Rica

Long time listener -- first time caller.

I know that there has been some discussion of the Costa Rica Marriotts in other posts, but other than a few mentions, I haven't seen much detail about what people liked or didn't like about the Las Suenos Marriott. I'm thinking of useing a 7 night cert there this January and would really appreciate any information on this property, what there is to do nearby, suggested day trips etc.. Also, should I rent a car, or are there good public transportation options?

Really appreciate any info on this -- people on this sight have been unbelievably helpful to me over the last year or so and I look forward to being able to contribute something back in the future.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 4:50 pm

I took my family to Los Suenos in Costa Rica during the summer. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is incredible.

Here is some basic information. When booking your stay with 800-Marriott they will tell you that there is a shuttle from the downtown San Jose Marriott to Los Suenos. What they will not tell you is that the shuttle only runs once a day (approximatley 10:00 a.m.) which means that by the time you land you will have missed the shuttle. Plan on taking a taxi from the airport. (The Marriott hotel shuttle driver wil actually help you with this). Do not stay at the downtown Marriott. I spoke to guests at Los Suenos that did stay there and they all hated it (dirty, etc.).

You do not really need a car at Los Suenos as there are taxis from the hotel to Jaco (the local city). The taxis cost about five dollars. We did rent a car to drive back to the airport. You may not want to do this. Depending on your international driving ability (Dominican Republic, Malaysia, Puerto Rico, etc.) it may be o.k. Just remember that the Pan-American highway does not have any signs but it does have one lane bridges. And if you are asking for directions, you will need to speak spanish.

The food at the hotel, while very good, can get expensive after a while. As a result you will probably want to go into town.

Souvenirs are about half of the price in town as compared to the hotel.

The hotel has excursions available such as tours of the rain forest. We took both a walking tour and a canapy tour. Both tours were fantastic however if you are just going to do one tour, do the canapy tour. You move between 13 tree platforms sliding down cables, through the top of the rain forest. (My nine year and son and ten year old daughter did it). Incredible. Something we will remember the rest of our lifes.

In regards to the hotel, the staff was excellent and all but the maids speak english. The pool is fantastic. It has routes that turn with hiding places. My kids loved it.

One other item we did was to bring clothing and shoes, etc to Costa Rica. Please remember that Costa Rica is a poor country. All of the clothing and items were donated to the local church. Items that are needed besides clothes are towels, sheets, and toothbrushes. People just do not have these things. The hotel staff will be happy to help you with this stuff and see that it gets to the right people. We filled up a couple of suitcases with this stuff, through in some trashbags. When we got to the hotel, we transferred the items to the trash bags and then we had suitcases for our purchases.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.