Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis First, Marriott Gold, United Pleb

I'm taking my wife for a few days in CR and booked one of the weekend getaways. We are currently in a Deluxe room (one up from the bottom). Will I likely get a room upgrade based on my Gold status? Or is that just for Marriotts in small town USA? Can you use Marriott points to bump a room up and if so, should I do it now, or once we get there?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
If they aren't full you would be eligible for an upgrade, but be aware that there might not be a lounge, and even if there is, it might not be open on weekends.

If you are interested in a points based upgrade, I'd call to inquire now.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you'll first READ Sharon's sticky (which she goes to alot of trouble to keep updated)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

you'll get info on lounge availability at most Marriott props and their weekend status

Originally Posted by Annerk
........... but be aware that there might not be a lounge, and even if there is, it might not be open on weekends.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
if you'll first READ Sharon's sticky (which she goes to alot of trouble to keep updated)

you'll get info on lounge availability at most Marriott props and their weekend status
I'm not the one who needs the information, you might be better off directing that response towards the OP.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:26 pm
Suspended

if you'll READ your perks as a Gold you'll have your answer
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...nefits/gold.mi

Originally Posted by IAHMRH
Will I likely get a room upgrade based on my Gold status?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:28 pm
Suspended

since there are 6 Marriott props in CR would help if you stated which prop you want info on as each prop has different ways/means including some that might offer you points or cash to pre-upgrade while others don't................

Can you use Marriott points to bump a room up and if so, should I do it now, or once we get there?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:50 pm

since there are 6 Marriott props in CR would help if you stated which prop you want info on as each prop has different ways/means including some that might offer you points or cash to pre-upgrade while others don't................
He did--it's in the title of the thread.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis First, Marriott Gold, United Pleb

Some Monday afternoon hostility. Not concerned with the lounge status, I'd rather eat local. But still always good info to know I suppose.

Originally Posted by Annerk
He did--it's in the title of the thread.
Yep, in the title.

And sure I've read the rules, but they are all " We'll do our best/available at participating/etc" so looking for somebody who has been to Los Suenos, who can comment on if status counts for anything. Obviously if they have no room they cannot upgrade I understand that, BUT are they going to the effort when they have room? I find with my normal Marriott stays I often have to ask anyway.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I actually stayed at Los Suenos last month--and am a Marriott Rewards gold member too. Here were the benefits I received:

1) Room upgrade to an ocean view (booked lowest tier room)
2) Late checkout ot 5p on day of departure

There is no lounge on the property, and breakfast is not free because it is a Marriott Resort (See MR T&C's for clarification there). While it is frustrating that those two benefits are not available, I found the property to be terrific for a quick getaway--with great facilities, excellent dining, and a very gracious staff. Everyone in my party was very impressed with the resort's overall quality.

DM me with any specific questions! Safe travels--CS
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:20 pm
Suspended

those props that do offer points/cash upgrades do not necesarily offer them 365 so day/dates of stay might therefore be helpful...........

"We'll do our best" is self-explanatory......yes, status counts BUT you didn't state the 2nd cavaet of "subject to availability identified by each hotel."

And sure I've read the rules, but they are all " We'll do our best/available at participating/etc" so looking for somebody who has been to Los Suenos, who can comment on if status counts for anything. Obviously if they have no room they cannot upgrade I understand that, BUT are they going to the effort when they have room? I find with my normal Marriott stays I often have to ask anyway.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by contrailsurfer
I actually stayed at Los Suenos last month--and am a Marriott Rewards gold member too. Here were the benefits I received:

1) Room upgrade to an ocean view (booked lowest tier room)
2) Late checkout ot 5p on day of departure

There is no lounge on the property, and breakfast is not free because it is a Marriott Resort (See MR T&C's for clarification there). While it is frustrating that those two benefits are not available, I found the property to be terrific for a quick getaway--with great facilities, excellent dining, and a very gracious staff. Everyone in my party was very impressed with the resort's overall quality.

DM me with any specific questions! Safe travels--CS
Thanks for the info based on your recent stay. I'm sure the OP appreciates it.

I'll update the sticky when I'm back in the office in a few days.

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Also, I can't imagine they would be very busy right now as it's dead low rainy season. I was at Manuel Antonio down the road last week and there was nobody around.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum
Los Suenos Costa Rica - What to do?

My girlfriend and I are heading to Los Suenos next month and are having a tough time on figuring out what activities we want to do. We'll be there 6 days, we're both moderately adventurous and we'll have a car. We dont want to spend too much time sitting around the resort. Some of the things we're considering:

-Dring to Arenal and taking a tour
-Zipling/rapelling in the rainforest
-Catamaran to Tortuga island

Does anyone have any recommendations/ideas on activities, tours, etc? Any tour companies you liked in particular?

We'd also love to hear some restaurant reservations around Los Suenos or in Jaco if youve got any!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:01 pm

We did the horseback tour with Discovery and had a blast...well worth the trip. There is also a great lunch spot/bar in the middle of the rainforest on the way. We did a zipline tour through Canopy Vista Los Suenos. The guides were amazing and we both felt very safe.

The Hook Up is a great little bar and breakfast/lunch spot in the marina...very laid back vibe. Soda Jaco Rustico was a very authentic roadside eatery in Jaco and made great stop for lunch. El Pelicano at Playa Herradura was outside the gates of Los SUenos (keep going down the road past the resort gate) and was a nice spot on the beach for a meal. Just watch out for the locals wearing orange vests and trying to get you to pay for parking if you drive there. I just waved them off and they didn't bother me.

I'll try to remember some of the other restaurants we went to...it has been around 4 years since we've been there. Oh yea, a trip to Manuel Antonio is well worth it! Unfortunately we didn't spend any time in Arenal, but there is always next time.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum
Good advice, thanks for the reply! Are there restaurants/shops in the marina that arent part of the resort? I imagine everything on the resort will be expensive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.