Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by itcheroni
First post. Great community here! I have a question and I hope this is the right place for it.

Currently there is a 500 mile bonus for a $200 spend through aadvantageeshopping. My AMEX card is also offering 3000 MR points for $200+ spent at Marriott thru 2/28/2017, up to a total for 6000 points. It stipulates room rate and room charges.

Do you guys think it would work for me to buy a $200 Marriott GC? I'm hoping to get the AA miles and AMEX points bonus. Considering I'm also working on a spend bonus for my AMEX, I thought I could just buy the GC and use it in the future.
The only way I could see that working would be if you bought a card as part of a stay on the folio itself as an incidental to top off the net bill to go over $200.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:39 am

Once again, Ebates is offering 5% on Marriott reservations. Not sure how long the offer is good, though.

Also offering a special $25 per day credit on selected properties in California, Colorado, Florida, and Louisiana with promo code YX1:

Terms and Conditions
Valid seven days a week through 3/31/17. Offer availability varies by participating hotels. Hotel credit is available to use in select hotel food and beverage outlets. Please confirm with the front desk at check-in for details. Daily (based upon number of nights stayed) credit of up to $25 will be applied to folio upon check-out. Any unused portion of the daily credit will not be refunded and may not be used on another day. Cannot be applied to room rate or be redeemed for cash. The hotel credit adjustment is inclusive of all applicable taxes and service charges in the departments/outlets in which the hotel credit may be applied. Must quote promotional code YX1 to receive the promotional rate. Some hotels may not be available at the rates shown. Void where prohibited. Limited number of rooms are available for this promotion. Tax is additional. Offer does not apply to groups of 10 or more rooms. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotions. Blackout dates may apply. Advance reservations required. Other restrictions apply. Rates are per room, per night and based on availability at the time of reservations.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Marriott Gift Cards

I would like a $50 gift card to give to a friend. How many points would I get if I use a MR Visa? When would they post?

In past years I've gotten gift cards at the end of the year and there was double the amount of points. Did I miss that in '16?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I would like a $50 gift card to give to a friend. How many points would I get if I use a MR Visa? When would they post?

In past years I've gotten gift cards at the end of the year and there was double the amount of points. Did I miss that in '16?
250 points.

They haven't had those promos in about 3 years. I for one definitely miss that 10% off they offered around the end of the year.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
In my experience, YoungBubbie is correct that you'd get 250 Marriott Rewards points for spending $50 with Marriott to buy the $50 gift card.

The points post to your MR account when the monthly credit card bill that includes the gift card purchase is sent out.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:30 am

And once again, Ebates is offering 5% on Marriott reservations. Not sure how long the offer is good, though.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Why is so hard for Marriott properties to figure out how to use gift cards. Last month I was at a Fairfield and the GM checked me in and didn't know how to use the travel card. (He made some calls and had it fixed overnight). And than today I was at a residence inn, told them I had egcs and they said I should bring them down when I was checking out. Ff to this am and the same fdc didn't know how to enter them (the paper says use the givex system). He will apply and updated portfolio by noon. Will be interesting to see what happens. Just frustrated that they have such a hard time with a simple payment method
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:48 am

Once again, Ebates is offering 5% rebate on Marriott reservations. Says offer only good today (March 8).
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kklems
Why is so hard for Marriott properties to figure out how to use gift cards. Last month I was at a Fairfield and the GM checked me in and didn't know how to use the travel card. (He made some calls and had it fixed overnight). And than today I was at a residence inn, told them I had egcs and they said I should bring them down when I was checking out. Ff to this am and the same fdc didn't know how to enter them (the paper says use the givex system). He will apply and updated portfolio by noon. Will be interesting to see what happens. Just frustrated that they have such a hard time with a simple payment method
Perplexing, indeed, but never allow it annoy you. I've learned to just carry a copy of GC I'm currently using. If I know I'll be in a rush checking out, I leave it with the desk in advance and ask them to make a note to charge the GC before they place any charge on my credit card. If I'm not in a rush, I'll just give it to them at checkout. If there's any confusion or delay, I tell them to keep the copy, charge it when they figure it out, and discard. I've never had a problem doing this, but should I ever see my credit card charged rather than the GC, I'd just contact corporate to explain and have it placed on the GC instead.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kklems
i tried to use a few E-gift catds and courtyard Seoul (namdaemun). They also didn't know how to use them. They took the gc number and eventually figured it out.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:22 pm

Maximizing Marriott Rewards

I'm going to be staying at the AC Marriott, Juan Les pins near antibes, France in August for 4 nights. Originally I was going to book The Room through City concierge for the 4th night free benefit. While shopping around to compare rates, i discovered that the price listed on the Marriott site is significantly higher than the same room available through hotels.com. The difference is around $150 per night. Then I saw the Marriott BRG deal (!) and realized this was essentially the same value as the prestige 4th night free, but better because I could use my Marriott card and earn additional points. Now I'm wondering about other ways to make this an even better deal.... for example using a portal for Marriott where I could earn 4% cashback? I'm also trying to make sense of whether it would be better to use my Marriott card for the purchase (3×??) or go to Home Depot and buy a Marriott giftcard and get 5% back with discover. Or even better, use another a portal to go to Home Depot online (or Staples with my ink card) to buy a Marriott giftcard. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options-- can anyone weigh in here and tell me what I might be missing or the best way to proceed with getting most out of this deal?
Thanks!!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:43 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Have your read the sticky at the top of the forum, which answers your questions many, many times over?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ks-promos.html

Nick
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Linda Marshall
I'm going to be staying at the AC Marriott, Juan Les pins near antibes, France in August for 4 nights. Originally I was going to book The Room through City concierge for the 4th night free benefit. While shopping around to compare rates, i discovered that the price listed on the Marriott site is significantly higher than the same room available through hotels.com. The difference is around $150 per night. Then I saw the Marriott BRG deal (!) and realized this was essentially the same value as the prestige 4th night free, but better because I could use my Marriott card and earn additional points. Now I'm wondering about other ways to make this an even better deal.... for example using a portal for Marriott where I could earn 4% cashback? I'm also trying to make sense of whether it would be better to use my Marriott card for the purchase (3×??) or go to Home Depot and buy a Marriott giftcard and get 5% back with discover. Or even better, use another a portal to go to Home Depot online (or Staples with my ink card) to buy a Marriott giftcard. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options-- can anyone weigh in here and tell me what I might be missing or the best way to proceed with getting most out of this deal?
Thanks!!
Hotels.com rates will often result in you not earning MR points for the stay since they fall into some weird bulk rates category..... I did this a couple times in years past only to be disappointed by not receiving my points for the stay. Do the perks from the CC's make up for this?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I'm also trying to make sense of whether it would be better to use my Marriott card for the purchase (3×??) or go to Home Depot and buy a Marriott giftcard and get 5% back with discover. Or even better, use another a portal to go to Home Depot online (or Staples with my ink card) to buy a Marriott giftcard.
Unlikely you will find Marriott gift cards in stores or non-Marriott websites.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Thanks!!
I've used LNF many times, the most important thing is to get it while you can, these discrepancies don't last long. Personally I wouldn't bother with the portal site, it's only a few percent and you don't want that mucking up your booking, this is important as claiming LNF means Marriott has to amend your reservation. Once you've got approval for your LNF and assuming the rate isn't advance pay you could certainly go for paying via a reduced Giftcard but whatever you do get that room booked and LNF approved now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.