Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Any idea if there is going to be another double points promo soon? Got some stays coming up in late May/June.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Just got a cashback offer properly tracked giving me 4% back via TopCashBack. Quidco wasn't tracking Marriott properly so I gave TCB a shot (which is weird as they are usually much more consistent than TCB). Happy it tracked and paid properly. If you're booking at Marriott - can't go wrong with 4% off via cb.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Just got a cashback offer properly tracked giving me 4% back via TopCashBack. Quidco wasn't tracking Marriott properly so I gave TCB a shot (which is weird as they are usually much more consistent than TCB). Happy it tracked and paid properly. If you're booking at Marriott - can't go wrong with 4% off via cb.
Thanks for posting this!!

I wish I'd known about this site sooner. With each 1000 USD spent I would have netted back $40.

Well this is the route I'll be using to reserve rooms in the future. I am kicking myself for not knowing, and not researching, a payback site like TopCashBack!
But I'll be sure to use it in the future. Again, thanks for the post!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:22 pm

I have gold status due to my AMEX Plat. Does the free upgrade on rooms only apply when you pay the accomdation in $ (for example, pick the cheapest regular guest room but free upgrade)? Or does it also apply when you use your points (for example, pick the regular guest room for 15000/nite but free upgrade to larger guest corner room)???
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seks
I have gold status due to my AMEX Plat. Does the free upgrade on rooms only apply when you pay the accomdation in $ (for example, pick the cheapest regular guest room but free upgrade)? Or does it also apply when you use your points (for example, pick the regular guest room for 15000/nite but free upgrade to larger guest corner room)???
I've found that it's either and really depends how busy they are. Best success for me is checking in on the app 24 hours in advance, and you can text the hotel (via the Marriott app). That message should go right to the hotel and they can check and note the request. Good luck!

- Tom
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
I'm already keeping a private list (not postable, but available by PM request) of obscure booking sites for LNF, so if anyone besides me would like to have a list of "easy/tough to deal with hotels for alternative payment methods," someone else will need to keep that list.
I tried to contact you privately, USirritated, and this is the message that I got:

The following errors occurred with your submission:

USirritated has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Confused :-)
Steph
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Use gift card with just the digits and pin?

I left my gift card at home but have a photo with the digits and pin. Can the hotel process the card even though I can't physically present it?

I will be redeeming a 3 other physical gift cards, so hopefully it appears more legit.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Yes. Marriott has been using e-gift cards for years and I present scraps of paper to the FD for payment. Of course you will need to find a hotel employee who knows how to process a Giv-Ex (gift card vendor) payment, which could be the greater challenge.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:57 pm

Has anyone had an issue using gift cards at the Marriott in Sydney? I've had luck using them in Istanbul and Bangkok for a data point.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Has anyone had trouble getting cashback from TCB for Marriott bookings that made 7 months in advance? Any hint on how to secure the cash back? TIA!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nacho
Has anyone had trouble getting cashback from TCB for Marriott bookings that made 7 months in advance? Any hint on how to secure the cash back? TIA!
Yes, unfortunately I have had issues with TCB as well (even for reservations not made that far in advance).

Unfortunately, I don't have any great hints on how to secure the cash back as I am only successful less than half the time. If I cannot find the transaction in my account (so I can submit a missing claim), I open a ticket and let them know the time and date of the transaction. Then they will make it so I can open a missing claim with that information. Sometimes they pay out, sometimes they don't. I have been denied for making a booking that they say isn't eligible due to rate type but their reason for denial is bs as I have had payment denied and been paid for back to back reservations made the same way with the same rate. They are very unreliable... Not sure how much is TCB's fault vs Marriott's.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mindrisa
Yes, unfortunately I have had issues with TCB as well (even for reservations not made that far in advance).

Unfortunately, I don't have any great hints on how to secure the cash back as I am only successful less than half the time. If I cannot find the transaction in my account (so I can submit a missing claim), I open a ticket and let them know the time and date of the transaction. Then they will make it so I can open a missing claim with that information. Sometimes they pay out, sometimes they don't. I have been denied for making a booking that they say isn't eligible due to rate type but their reason for denial is bs as I have had payment denied and been paid for back to back reservations made the same way with the same rate. They are very unreliable... Not sure how much is TCB's fault vs Marriott's.
One reason I just stick with ebates. Never had any problem with them.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
One reason I just stick with ebates. Never had any problem with them.
Don't like ebates as you can't see tracking tickets only within the last few months. For TCB I did get transaction notification for the bookings I made with Marriott through them.

I agree that TCB is worse than other CB sites, my favourite is Mr. Rebates - it didn't track for some big items for some reason and I was too slow in discovering them so I lost about $50 in cashback.

TCB gives 5% for Marriott and Mr. Rebates's rate is 3%, and I'm making a 10 nights reservation so the difference in cash back is substantial.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:17 pm

Anyone bought Marriott or Ritz GC in Marriott, JW or Ritz recently? I couldn't find any property selling GC in front desk anywhere in DFW area...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by spgbus
Anyone bought Marriott or Ritz GC in Marriott, JW or Ritz recently? I couldn't find any property selling GC in front desk anywhere in DFW area...
I was able to get at a Marriott in NJ and did receive my Amex confirmation email. The JW in NYC didn't sell them.

It looked like Ritz GC are only good at Ritz hotels so I haven't pursued that.
Can anyone confirm that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.