Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Is there any portal that is working to sign in on?

when I go on ebates or Mr Rebates it comes up as cannot connect open page cannot connect to server. The header is
T.mookie.1 .com.
Im not computer proficient but is there anything else I can do? I’m using an iPad.
Appreciate any help. I’m trying to book an expensive trip and would love to go through a portal if possible.

Thanks.
It appears that FT has blocked all links to portal and some other sites. Nothing appears wrong with the portals or the Marriott affiliate program itself. Open a browser and enter a portal website domain into the navigation bar and go there directly, search for Marriott, and then click through, and you should find it works just fine. Let me know if not.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mooper
It appears that FT has blocked all links to portal and some other sites. Nothing appears wrong with the portals or the Marriott affiliate program itself. Open a browser and enter a portal website domain into the navigation bar and go there directly, search for Marriott, and then click through, and you should find it works just fine. Let me know if not.
Mooper,

As I said I’m technically challenged, but I’m on the iPad, I type in ebates.com. Then I click on Marriott and get that message can’t Safari can’t open page as it can’t get secure connection to server and instead of Marriott.com it reads that t.mookie1.com.

Do I need to use a computer? Try something other than safari?

Thank you for your help.
Same thing when on the iPhone
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Mooper,

As I said I’m technically challenged, but I’m on the iPad, I type in ebates.com. Then I click on Marriott and get that message can’t Safari can’t open page as it can’t get secure connection to server and instead of Marriott.com it reads that t.mookie1.com.

Thank you for your help.
You might consider using a computer. I don't go through cashback portals from mobile devices because I really hate the mobile interface - also I have my settings set up for cashbacks (I use firefox), so when it's ready to do it I'll just open firefox browser.

Don't know if ebates pays the most but I always check cashbackmonitor or cashbackholic to check the recent rates, befrugal will match any other company's rate so you are always getting the best rates.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium

Mooper,

Thank you for your help.
Works on my (Android) phone and on computer web browser (Chrome). I suggest trying a laptop or desktop computer and seeing what you get.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I can easily access Topcashback.com (which pays 3% on Marriott) & Ebates.com from my laptop via Chrome.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:13 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will try this going forward.

I did receive a message from ebates to update setting on iPad due to some changes in tracking.
But of course I deleted before doing. Will try computer later.

Appreciate all all the help and guidance from all.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:39 pm

Some sort of update on iPhone that was preventing tracking. Fixed the settings and was able to get it to work.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Brendan
I can easily access Topcashback.com (which pays 3% on Marriott) & Ebates.com from my laptop via Chrome.
Not the best option for everyone but I wanted to let you know that some travel agents offer cash back on hotels e.g., we provide 3% back on all commissionable rates if booked online eg through Marriott.com. Only for bookings with Virtuoso or RC Stars benefits can we not provide cash back (PM me if interested). I’m sure there must be other agents who offer similar benefits.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:39 am

Back finally!

Ebates is offering a 4.5% rebate on Marriott reservations. Not sure how long this offer lasts, but it has been a long time since Ebates gave more than 1.5% for Marriott.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Silly question - when using Marriott gift card to pay, the hotel would still report the stay as if paid with CC?

Reason I asked is because a few years ago a hotel processed as using a voucher. It took me a lot of time to straighten this up with Marriott Reward to recognize it as a qualified stay, as well as the CB used to book to eventually give cash back (out of courtesy to take my words for it tough I mentioned I could send them GC activities to show the payment).

I want to make sure as the stays are all for the Plat Challenge, not natural stays.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Silly question - when using Marriott gift card to pay, the hotel would still report the stay as if paid with CC?

Reason I asked is because a few years ago a hotel processed as using a voucher. It took me a lot of time to straighten this up with Marriott Reward to recognize it as a qualified stay, as well as the CB used to book to eventually give cash back (out of courtesy to take my words for it tough I mentioned I could send them GC activities to show the payment).

I want to make sure as the stays are all for the Plat Challenge, not natural stays.
I’ve never had any problem with posting properly.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve never had any problem with posting properly.

Thank you for positive reassurance.

Should I take care of the GC payment the night before when the agents are less busy and also might prevent the nightly accounting processing to automatically charge the credit card used for guarantee?

It has been so long that I use Marriott GC, I forgot most of the little things one should be mindful on.

Thanks again.

PS
I should also add, the GC was bought during a 10% bonus promo during 2012 holiday season, Yes, it is that long ago. Just not have domestic pay stays all these years. And keep forgetting to bring the GC when going overseas. I check the card balance periodically. Yesterday when I checked, it still showed as Active with the correct balance. I gather it should not post any issue at swipe... as the status is Active. Also card has been in an envelope all the time.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:41 pm

Thank you for positive reassurance.

Should I take care of the GC payment the night before when the agents are less busy and also might prevent the nightly accounting processing to automatically charge the credit card used for guarantee?

It has been so long that I use Marriott GC, I forgot most of the little things one should be mindful on.

Thanks again.

PS
I should also add, the GC was bought during a 10% bonus promo during 2012 holiday season, Yes, it is that long ago. Just not have domestic pay stays all these years. And keep forgetting to bring the GC when going overseas. I check the card balance periodically. Yesterday when I checked, it still showed as Active with the correct balance. I gather it should not post any issue at swipe... as the status is Active. Also card has been in an envelope all the time.
I always do just in case I encounter an agent that does not know how to process GCs.

Last time I had someone who did not know how was over 5 years ago.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Silly question - when using Marriott gift card to pay, the hotel would still report the stay as if paid with CC? Reason I asked is because a few years ago a hotel processed as using a voucher.
I am still working down my stack of old GCs. Actually the Visa ones are used up, just GivEx ones remaining.

The final zero balance bill used to show GCs used as a "voucher" payment, but recently it shows "giftcard". No problem earning points either way.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always do just in case I encounter an agent that does not know how to process GCs.

Last time I had someone who did not know how was over 5 years ago.
When I made a booking for a Springhill, on the CC guarantee section, there is an option to use Visa Checkout even though the rate I chose was fully refundable rate. I did not try that option for fear it would actually take payment from the card.
What is the deal with Visa Checkout? Is there any benefits to use such?

Originally Posted by Tanic
I am still working down my stack of old GCs. Actually the Visa ones are used up, just GivEx ones remaining.

The final zero balance bill used to show GCs used as a "voucher" payment, but recently it shows "giftcard". No problem earning points either way.
I do not know what my GC is a Visa or a GivEX. I presume it is GivEx as it is so old. I vaguely remember at the time Marriott was changing the system on how to process the GC, like moving to a Visa type, and it had caused some confusion among the front desks folks in many properties. Also there were some issues using the GC at overseas properties.
Since this is so long ago I gather everything now is working well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.