Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This may already be mentioned in the thread, but I wanted to point out that I have a booking at the Ritz-Carlton Berlin that I booked through Ebates during the 12% and it is showing in the cash back list despite the Ritz-Carlton exclusion in the terms. No idea if it'll actually pay out or not, I guess I'll find out in six months after the stay. Also, as has been mentioned here, SPG properties don't work even if they've been moved to the new booking platform (Tribute, Sheraton, etc).
In my experience it does not. Corporate rates also register but they never pay out.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Marriott and Mr Rebates

Hi all,

Does anyone use Mr Rebates for Marriott bookings?

I get extensive value out of this from IHG bookings, however I haven't had a single one go through. I use a Canadian Prof. Sales Assoc. travel rate code, and am wondering if that is the reason I am not getting my rebates back.

Before I holler at Mr Rebates and open up a dozen tickets, anyone have experience with this Rebate program and Marriott and can comment?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
No experience w/ the specific, but you might want to check this thread to see if others have reported similar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ks-promos.html

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB is up to 10%, today only.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:51 am

Ebates is again offering 10% rebate on Marriott properties "for the next 48 hours". Probably means ends midnight on December 13th.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Almost certainly the wrong place to post this question, but is there any likelihood that the combined program will offer points "sales" as SPG did?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
TCB at 9% for the next 4 days
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
Do I still get cashback if I make a LNF claim?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canael
Do I still get cashback if I make a LNF claim?
yes
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erome
Hi all,

Does anyone use Mr Rebates for Marriott bookings?

I get extensive value out of this from IHG bookings, however I haven't had a single one go through. I use a Canadian Prof. Sales Assoc. travel rate code, and am wondering if that is the reason I am not getting my rebates back.

Before I holler at Mr Rebates and open up a dozen tickets, anyone have experience with this Rebate program and Marriott and can comment?
yep, corporate rates are excluded from cashback. So are basically any other rates that are listed as 'not commissionable' in your booking confirmation Email. In essence that means the TA (or cashback portal here) is not getting paid.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by cfischer
yes
do they adjust the cashback amount?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canael
do they adjust the cashback amount?
yes they do.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
AIA Vitality Marriott discount

Those in Asia can take advantage of AIA Vitality Marriott cashback
the info below is for Malaysia.link for HK provided below
https://www.aiavitality.com.hk/vmp-hk/partners/marriott
unfortunately this benefit has ended in SG

Your AIA Vitality Status Discount

You are entitled for up to 2 (two) hotel rooms with cashback across all hotel partners in a membership year.

Any 1 (one) room booked at this discount will be deducted from your entitlementAIA Vitality Status
Cashback for *Standard Room Types
Bronze
15%
Silver
20%
Gold
30%
Platinum
50%
*Subject to availability. Other terms & conditions apply, please refer to below

Terms & conditions (effective from 23 July 2018):
  • The discount in the form of cashback applies to only standard rooms including Deluxe or Superior rooms from hotels listed here. Suites or apartments are excluded for the benefit.
  • Packages with breakfast or meals are not eligible for the discount.
  • The total discount is applied to the room rate only (excluding taxes, surcharges and other expenses), rounded up to the nearest ringgit.
  • The discount applies to a maximum of 2 hotel rooms and a maximum of 5 nights per room across all hotel partners of AIA Vitality in each membership year.
  • The discount in the form of cashback is applied on a limit of RM600 per room per night i.e. your discount will be calculated up to the room rate of RM600 depending on your status. For example, if your status is Gold and the room rate is RM800 per night: 30% cashback is applied on RM600 (limit), which amounts to RM180 per night.
  • The discou
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Almost certainly the wrong place to post this question, but is there any likelihood that the combined program will offer points "sales" as SPG did?
Seen nothing at all - but still waiting in hope.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:35 am

Marriott Properties that Sell Gift Cards

Is there a thread listing Marriott properties that still sell gift cards? With all the AmEx offers, I’ve been calling a lot of properties and only found 1 selling gift cards. It seems to be well known though because the manager asked if they were offering points again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.