Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
Is it true that one would not get Marriott Night credit when booking through Priceline?

Also, were you able to get elite Lounge Access and breakfast when booking through third party like Priceline?
Yes and yes.

So it's not a good solution for most stays but if you only have one night and are paying out of your own pocket I'll go with Priceline every time.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:17 pm

Singapore Marriott

Am travelling with points at this hotel. Can one pay extra and upgrade to the concierge level?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It may be possible. The hotel does have upgraded rooms that can be reserved using the 5K/night upgrade award. Using the online reservation tool, check your dates using points and see if there it lists any upgraded room awards(i.e. a normal std room would show 35K/night where an upgraded room, using one upgrade cert/night would show up as 40K/night.)

Now do they offer upgrades to the CL rooms? I'm not sure. I've not seen that as a normal upgrade award, so I'm a little doubtful you can. But I've never really tried or looked specfically for that. If you don't see CL upgraded award rooms using the online reservation tool, I would suggest calling MR and ask them to check for you. They will be able to tell you specifically if the CL is offered using one or more of the upgrade awards or not.

If they say no, you might ask the call and ask the hotel specifically if they would offer CL access for one or maybe 2 upgrade certs/night. Maybe the hotel would go for that. It can't hurt to ask them.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by allinone
Am travelling with points at this hotel. Can one pay extra and upgrade to the concierge level?
I would just call the hotel and ask outright, they are usually very accommodating.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
just looking at the dates I already have res at this prop (in Nov), I note that 5k point upgrades are available to deluxe premium, but nothing listed for exec room level which I'll assume you mean by CL............... but as another poster stated, contact the prop and see what they'll offer........

Originally Posted by allinone
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Marriott Rewards Gold Member desires to stay in Singapore on Points -I have questions

I am a Marriott Rewards Gold Member, who wishes to stay in Dec (overlapping Christmas Day) for 5 nights on points. My wife and our 16 yr old daughter will be accompanying us.

I guess I can get a nice, sizeable room with 2 double beds.

As a Gold member, will we get lounge access - is the lounge open 7 days a week or 5 days a week (we will be spending the full weekend at the hotel, during those 5 nights)? Does the lounge serve continental or full breakfast? Does it serve snacks and beverages during the rest of the day?

How far is it from the airport. We will arrive from Perth Australia via Bangkok on Thai in the evening (between 9 and 10 PM). We wish to leave on a 8 AM SQ flight to ICN - and we wish to take advantage of the Kris Flyer Business Class lounge - we are flying on a business class flight (on points). So, how long would it take to reach the SQ check-in counter from the hotel, so that we can perhaps spend upto 1 hour in the lounge? Should we use the MRT, taxi, or some other means of transportation?

Is this hotel near (ie within walking distance) the shopping district (?Orchard Road), or some other points of interest?

thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am a Marriott Rewards Gold Member, who wishes to stay in Dec (overlapping Christmas Day) for 5 nights on points. My wife and our 16 yr old daughter will be accompanying us.

As a Gold member, will we get lounge access - is the lounge open 7 days a week or 5 days a week (we will be spending the full weekend at the hotel, during those 5 nights)? Does the lounge serve continental or full breakfast? Does it serve snacks and beverages during the rest of the day?

How far is it from the airport. We will arrive from Perth Australia via Bangkok on Thai in the evening (between 9 and 10 PM). We wish to leave on a 8 AM SQ flight to ICN - and we wish to take advantage of the Kris Flyer Business Class lounge - we are flying on a business class flight (on points). So, how long would it take to reach the SQ check-in counter from the hotel, so that we can perhaps spend upto 1 hour in the lounge? Should we use the MRT, taxi, or some other means of transportation?

Is this hotel near (ie within walking distance) the shopping district (?Orchard Road), or some other points of interest?

thanks.
Assuming you are staying at the Marriott not RC:
- You will get lounge access 7 days a week
- You will get a full breakfast buffet, snacks and soft drinks during the day, and hors d'oeuvres and cocktails in the evening
- Hotel is 14.3 miles from the airport according to their website which lists transportation options (train station right next to it)
- It is within walking distance to several points of interest including some shopping.(the website gives you an exact map)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Thank you, for the answer.

We will be staying at the Marriott.

Looking at the web site, the transportation options include MRT subway, MRT train, and taxi.

Obviously, the MRT subway will be the cheapest - even for 3 people? I presume the MRT train is ?express to the airport, as opposed to the subway, which would have multiple stops? What is the fare for the train - I saw that it was 3 Singapore Dollars per person one way for the subway.

I also saw on the web site that the train station is 0.6 miles from the hotel, or twice as far as the subway station (at 0.3 miles). It may be difficult? to lug one suitcase each, even if each has wheels?

What is your estimate for the one-way time between the hotel and each of the subway, train, and taxi?

In terms of the airport, the taxi would presumably drop us near one entrance to the terminal buidling, very near the check-in counter. How far (and how long does it take to walk this distance) are the subway and train stations at the airport stop from the check-in counter?

PS-Is Xmas time low or high season?
PPS-I know that stores will be closed on Christmas Day? Hopefully tourist attractions and restaurants will be open. In Canada and the UK, Boxing Day is observed on Dec 26; does Singapore observe that day as a holiday?- if so, are the stores open or closed that day?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Perhaps many of your questions would be better answered by the hotel itself if the information is not included on their website.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The hotel is right smack dab in the middle of the Orchard Road shopping area.

Most of the rooms are pretty small. Since the room is essentially round (OK, 16-sided I think), the rooms are pie-shaped. But if you're not spending a lot of time in the hotel, it's not an issue.

The pool and fitness center are wonderful.

The MRT entrance is right next to the hotel. (I'm not sure what the reference above to "train" is; there's no other public rail transportation in Singapore than the MRT.) If you have significant luggage, take a taxi -- the MRT will be difficult. Off peak, it's about 20 minutes by taxi to/from the airport. Double that during rush hour or if there's an accident on the motorway. Fares are higher during rush hour too, given the congestion-pricing scheme in Singapore.

The lounge offerings are excellent at breakfast and evening. You can certainly make a "meal" of out them. Note that when the hotel is busy, so is the lounge. Sometimes it can be hard to get a seat at peak times. I recall some years ago when I was there GLD/PLTs had the option of taking breakfast in the main restaurant; I'm not sure if that's still offered.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Thank you, for the answer.

We will be staying at the Marriott.

Looking at the web site, the transportation options include MRT subway, MRT train, and taxi.

Obviously, the MRT subway will be the cheapest - even for 3 people? I presume the MRT train is ?express to the airport, as opposed to the subway, which would have multiple stops? What is the fare for the train - I saw that it was 3 Singapore Dollars per person one way for the subway.

I also saw on the web site that the train station is 0.6 miles from the hotel, or twice as far as the subway station (at 0.3 miles). It may be difficult? to lug one suitcase each, even if each has wheels?

What is your estimate for the one-way time between the hotel and each of the subway, train, and taxi?

In terms of the airport, the taxi would presumably drop us near one entrance to the terminal buidling, very near the check-in counter. How far (and how long does it take to walk this distance) are the subway and train stations at the airport stop from the check-in counter?

PS-Is Xmas time low or high season?
PPS-I know that stores will be closed on Christmas Day? Hopefully tourist attractions and restaurants will be open. In Canada and the UK, Boxing Day is observed on Dec 26; does Singapore observe that day as a holiday?- if so, are the stores open or closed that day?
The MRT is directly accessed by escalator beside the Marriott cafe. Going to the airport would involve a change of lines and I would estimate around 50 mins to an hour from Orchard MRT to Changi. If taking baggage the taxi is a much better option. At 5.30am (when you should leave if you want an hour in the SKL) there will be little traffic - guessing 20-30 mins to T3.

Singapore is very busy all year. Your hotel is right in the heart of the biggest shopping street, which by the way will be beautifully decorated for Christmas (in fact from October onwards) - fantastic at night. Singapore doesn't really stop for holidays but some shops will likely close.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Agree with the posters here. With 3 people, it's a no brainer that you should take a taxi and not try to work the MRT with luggage to/from the airport. This is especially true as you are arriving later at night and leaving early in the morning.

I have never stayed in the Marriott in Singapore (too spendy for my company and myself), but it is definitely in a great location on Orchard Road. Right next to tons and tons of shopping, including tons of stores in the MRT station right there on the same corner as the Marriott.

Enjoy the lounge in the Marriott and Singapore itself, I was just there a few weeks ago staying at a Holiday Inn where you needed to take a Taxi everywhere... would have loved to stay in the Marriott next to the MRT and walking distance to my favorite bar there, Muddy Murphy's.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
there is an existing thread on this hotel that furnishes you with the majority of the info you're requesting:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post19379547

there's also a thread that Sharon goes to alot of truoble to maintain on worldwide lounge openings/weekends
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

as a gold, bed preferences are guaranteed IF you used your MR# in making the reservation
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...nefits/gold.mi

due to unknown traffic factors (in asia we measure distances in time due to the traffic instead of in miles/km) at your arrival/departure times using the SMRT is the fastest way from Orchard Rd to the Airport with only 1-change of train required........... you can start the journey in T1 and end at Orchard Rd. which has direct access to the prop............. tickets are bought at the vending machines which add in Sing$1 per ticket, refundable at any vending machine upon completion, or time, of your journey..............

Orchard Rd. is a beehive of shopping............along with several restaurant choices............

Immigration in/out of SQ is generally pretty fast/efficient but would naturally depend on other flights that have already arrived causing a potential que............. same in reverse as unless your airline provides you with a fastpass departures aggregate behind the que to depart..........

one note of caution..............Singapore laws are strictly enforced.............

(my wife & I travel to Singapore every year and have previously always stayed at the Conrad, but next month we'll try the refurbished Marriott just for a change of pace...........)

thanks.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:41 am
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:22 am

So, my choices are to stay at the Conrad or at the Marriott.

I am a Gold member of both programs.

I will be using points at either of the 2 locations.

The advantage of Marriott - on or close to Orchard Road Shopping and Xmas lights. Automatic access to lounge. Less equivalent points needed for basic room, which will give one automatic access to lounge.

Disadvantage of Marriott - smaller rooms.

The advantage of Conrad - better rooms. Lounge quality ? better.

Disadvantage of Conrad-further away from Orchard Road. No guarantee of lounge access, unless booking an executive level room. One has to use more equivalent points to get business type room access, which will then possibly with the upgrade give lounge access.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I have not stayed at either of those hotels but thought I'd offer advise since I currently live in Singapore. As a tourist, you are better off at the Marriott (I actually live a couple of buildings from it) - you can get to a lot of places walking and its more convenient to public transport, etc.

You are better off with a taxi to/from the airport with three people. If you stay at the Marriott and wish to use public transport, I recommend the #36 bus (stops almost directly in front of the Marriott) rather than the MRT - the bus is direct whereas you need to switch trains 2 times albeit quite convenient to make the switch. The bus or MRT will cost less than SGD 2 for the trip to/from the airport. If staying for 5 days, I would get each of you an EZ-pass, which makes paying for public transport convenient and you can get a refund of any balance and the deposit for the card.

Someone mentioned traffic - frankly, thats hardly a concern in Singapore. The Orchard area does get busy, specially on weekends but there are ways around it.

Someone mentioned MRT express train - no such thing. There is only one subway/train system called the MRT and the line to the airport is a regular subway line. In fact, the trains in Singapore move rather slow relative to Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, London, etc.

So, my choices are to stay at the Conrad or at the Marriott.

I am a Gold member of both programs.

I will be using points at either of the 2 locations.

The advantage of Marriott - on or close to Orchard Road Shopping and Xmas lights. Automatic access to lounge. Less equivalent points needed for basic room, which will give one automatic access to lounge.

Disadvantage of Marriott - smaller rooms.

The advantage of Conrad - better rooms. Lounge quality ? better.

Disadvantage of Conrad-further away from Orchard Road. No guarantee of lounge access, unless booking an executive level room. One has to use more equivalent points to get business type room access, which will then possibly with the upgrade give lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.