Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
When "guests" in the lounge are audibly cursing so much that I have to put my headphones in, staff really should be asking them to keep it down or ask them to leave - it's not like the staff wasn't around, keeping their drinks flowing, to hear the obnoxious obscenities every fifth word...
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I leave the Marriott at Tang Plaza conflicted - while the F&B program and lounge offering is generally strong, the rest of the property left me wishing I was at another property, such as the comfortable Sheraton Towers - they need to focus a bit more on enabling a comfortable stay. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to an Executive Suite (this showed up the morning of arrival on the app), which is a full suite with full separation and 1.5 bathrooms
  • Living room couch is quite comfortable
  • Bed is decently comfortable - mattress topper was obvious and significantly higher at the feet level but still comfortable, pillows were plush, covers were fine (could be a bit more plush)
  • Lounge offering is quite strong - nice iced latte in the afternoon, tasty chocolate cookies, evening service had a strong showing of items - tasty cream sauce fish - yummy oreo cheesecake, liked the Bailey's Bliss cocktail a lot
  • Breakfast can be had at the restaurant or lounge - restaurant breakfast was tasty
    • Strong ham and cheese omelet
    • Crispy hashbrown
    • Good bacon
    • Good paratha
  • Offered 4 PM late checkout
Neutral:
  • Suite wasn't ready until 5 PM - guess that's okay since it was an upgrade
  • Delivered bags of Chips Ahoy-like chocolate chip cookies and mixed nuts as a welcome gift
Cons:
  • Shower pressure was poor
  • Terrible exit door in the bathroom into the hotel hallway - made me feel quite nervous while on the toilet or in the shower
  • Noise isolation both to the exterior (floor 21) and the hallway were poor
  • Bedroom climate control was either very cold unless turned totally off, which made the room stuffy
  • Not enough counter space in the bathroom
  • Evening service had some loud and rowdy guests that were constantly using obscenities in English
  • Went to the lounge in the morning for some coffee - tried to use the machine, but was approached by the staff and asked what I wanted because they wanted to do it for me - I asked for a mocha with an extra shot of espresso (which I knew the machine could do) - I received a small cup of espresso - ended up having to swallow that down and go sneak around to make my desired mocha later while their backs were turned
  • Left my luggage at check-in and not given a luggage tag as I was told the luggage would be sent to the room - re-confirmed when picking up the keys that my luggage had been sent to the room - when I arrived, the luggage was not in the room - waited 5 minutes and nothing - called down and they asked if I had a luggage tag, which I didn't - now, it felt like they lost my luggage - waited longer - went down to the desk after 5 more minutes, and they said they found it (they should have called me) - it was delivered while I left - too scary
  • Orchard intersection is a bit chaotic and overly busy
Overall, I think I would rather stay at the Sheraton Towers for this area.

Photos:

Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Orchard intersection is a bit chaotic and overly busy
Better to cross underground, not at street level.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Better to cross underground, not at street level.
Agreed - when I wrote that (late at night), I meant the underground tunnels - they were so packed full of people that it was hard to move forward at times as folks were stopped in the middle of the tunnels, etc.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Stayed here twice this year and mostly agree with ElevatorEnthusiast

No upgrade for both my stays, Breakfast at the restaurant was quite hectic during both of my stays but they still manage to pull decent service.

Lounge did have good offering although it was a bit too crowded for me.

Luggage service was very weak during my stays as well.
No luggage assistance at all on the first stay (positive side was the luggage and the guests arrived at the same time )
And on my 2nd stay, it take more than 40 min for our luggage to reach the room.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
That's so weird that there's a door from the bathroom to the hallway. Given the octagonal shape of the building (not exactly cutting edge design today) I'm sure it's related to how they renovated the suite to give it a nice bathroom, but it still seems odd that no better solution could be found.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
That's so weird that there's a door from the bathroom to the hallway. Given the octagonal shape of the building (not exactly cutting edge design today) I'm sure it's related to how they renovated the suite to give it a nice bathroom, but it still seems odd that no better solution could be found.
Exactly, it would have been far better had they removed the door and walled it in.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: AC 50K | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
I’ve been staying here from the 7th to the 12th (today). Was notified on the 10th that there would be a scheduled power maintenance with no power and internet between the 11th and the 12th from 00:00 to 05:30.

this was not communicated during check-in and was only given as a piece of paper in my room on the 10th. Is it fair to ask for compensation, given that this has messed up my work / meeting schedule and that I wasn’t notified about this at check in?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thereisnoaddress
Is it fair to ask for compensation, given that this has messed up my work / meeting schedule and that I wasn’t notified about this at check in?
No. Maybe the outage wasn't planned when you checked in. And doing the work between midnight and 5:30am sounds like the least intrusive way they could do it. You can always ask if they'd be willing to move you to a different hotel, or if they have other suggestions that would allow you to do work during those hours (for instance, maybe they are keeping emergency power and internet on in the manager's office). So I think it's fair to ask them to work with you on a solution, but not to come out and just ask for compensation.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thereisnoaddress
this was not communicated during check-in and was only given as a piece of paper in my room on the 10th. Is it fair to ask for compensation, given that this has messed up my work / meeting schedule and that I wasn’t notified about this at check in?
It's a legit issue. I typically do zooms and calls and respond to emails starting at 4 am when I'm in SE Asia, so I could see this being a significant problem. Don't know that I would directly ask for comp (not really my style), but I wouldn't hesitate to raise it as something that was not handled well and caused a meaningful inconvenience. If you want to ask for comp, I wouldn't consider that unreasonable.

How did this impact A/C? That would be another potential issue for me.
karenkay likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by leroy11
Anyone have any comments about this property. I'll be flying into SIN and I'm considering this Marriott or the Hyatt in nearby Johor Bahru (a LOT cheaper) before heading up to Malika, Malaysia.

Any advice??

------------------
Cheers.

Leo.

Are you going there as a solo traveller?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by john_ny
Are you going there as a solo traveller?
The person you're responding to posted that question in 2000, approximately 23 years ago. I'm hoping they haven't been waiting for an answer.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC 50K | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a legit issue. I typically do zooms and calls and respond to emails starting at 4 am when I'm in SE Asia, so I could see this being a significant problem. Don't know that I would directly ask for comp (not really my style), but I wouldn't hesitate to raise it as something that was not handled well and caused a meaningful inconvenience. If you want to ask for comp, I wouldn't consider that unreasonable.

How did this impact A/C? That would be another potential issue for me.
Thanks, I ended up not asking for comp -- I didn't feel like bringing it up at check-out and the agent didn't ask. It impacted the AC... for some reason -- it only blew lukewarm air, which I was fine with since I run cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.