Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
1. if you are not opening your door before forcing their way in (which I can't imagine that justification in this case) they should call the room. If no answer then no delivery of condom or otherwise.

2. the vinyl floor I believe was in response to the mildew smell.... not sure if all the rooms have been replaced, I have only stayed here once in the last 2 years and it was replaced in mine, but a small sample size.

3. the issue with the walk isn't so much how long it is, but as you Bangkok is hotter than hell and there isn't much sun protection on the walk from building shades. If you choose to try and use the building shade you are transversing 12 inch curbs poles, all kinds of obstacles that is like a maze. So it isn't an easy walk on top of being roughly close to a half mile to Suk. I would guess.

4. I really thought the breakfast is quite good here compared to what you would expect for a 2000 baht-2500 baht hotel.....
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Informpage
As it were to happen, I received an email today:
"It is my pleasure to provide more information regarding this incident for you today.

As far as the how and why this had occurred, we have no further information aside from the investigation the property had conducted."

Well, okey dokey then.
Wow. This is incredible - let us know how it develops!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:59 am

As it were to happen, I received an email today:
"It is my pleasure to provide more information regarding this incident for you today.

As far as the how and why this had occurred, we have no further information aside from the investigation the property had conducted."

Well, okey dokey then.
Strangely, I got a variation on that email from them yesterday. I'd completed the usual post-stay survey ( mostly positive) and was a bit perplexed to get the email saying they took "the incident" seriously and were investigating to provide more detail. I assumed they thought I was someone else.

I'm enjoying ALOFT Soi11 more these days...the nightclub noise seems to have been resolved, at least for now, although the door banging can still be an issue as someone else mentioned.
At anything around B2,500 or under it's pretty reasonable value.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by horizontal
It seems as far as Starwoods corporate is concerned, this is as much information or resolution as they feel is needed or anyone will get.

From what I gleamed from my calls with corporate, they aren't getting any response from the hotel management and because of the time difference, when I call and they in turn call the hotel, they get the overnight shift which leads no where.

Too bad, I found the hotel had good friendly service and decent location, but this with the mildew smell, I'll move on to another property.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
Strangely, I got a variation on that email from them yesterday. I'd completed the usual post-stay survey ( mostly positive) and was a bit perplexed to get the email saying they took "the incident" seriously and were investigating to provide more detail. I assumed they thought I was someone else.

I'm enjoying ALOFT Soi11 more these days...the nightclub noise seems to have been resolved, at least for now, although the door banging can still be an issue as someone else mentioned.
At anything around B2,500 or under it's pretty reasonable value.
That is curious! My Stay was mid-March. Same time period?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Was considering this property for a stay in bangkok due to location. I have gold status. Would it be better to stay here or at another spg/marriott property with gold status? I stayed at the JW marriott a long long long time ago, but from what I remember that was way the heck out there and required a water taxi to get to the train etc.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:20 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Gold with Marriott means u get access to the nice lounge at JW.

but you can't compare jw to aloft as it is double the price...

you don't need a water taxi, maybe you mean the ex Marriott now Anantara Riverside resort...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cln
Gold with Marriott means u get access to the nice lounge at JW.

but you can't compare jw to aloft as it is double the price...

you don't need a water taxi, maybe you mean the ex Marriott now Anantara Riverside resort...
Yea that is what I mean. I haven't been to Thailand in 17 years, so I'm sure things have changed a ton. I will have to look at the current JW and see if its something that appeals to me.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by horizontal
Interestingly the hotel has responded to my tripadvisor post with:

"He was from housekeeping and there be no reason why he would have a condom in which he had no clue anyone was in the room at that time. As discussed, it was a complete misunderstanding."

Which is completely wrong. It was in my first email both to the property and SPG. Going in to a room with a do not disturb sign was the bigger issue in my mind, but now the denial of why he entered really is a head scratcher.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Interestingly the hotel has responded to my tripadvisor post with:

"He was from housekeeping and there be no reason why he would have a condom in which he had no clue anyone was in the room at that time. As discussed, it was a complete misunderstanding."

Which is completely wrong. It was in my first email both to the property and SPG. Going in to a room with a do not disturb sign was the bigger issue in my mind, but now the denial of why he entered really is a head scratcher.
I'd guess he had planned a rendezvous with another staff member and went to the wrong room.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'd guess he had planned a rendezvous with another staff member and went to the wrong room.
Certainly consistent with the proffered explanation....
Old May 8, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Red259
Yea that is what I mean. I haven't been to Thailand in 17 years, so I'm sure things have changed a ton. I will have to look at the current JW and see if its something that appeals to me.
There are better Marriott options. If you are looking for a great hotel at a good price, you cannot beat the CY. There is a CL, and as a Gold you have a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The restaurant breakfast is quite good. The location is within a short walk of the BTS, near Erawan Shrine. There is a nice little grocery store behind the Shrine. I just did a search for mid-June and it's $78 US/night. On the Marriott thread, somebody has posted information about a sale, but I'm not clear on when it ends.

If you are looking for a nicer hotel, with better rooms and bathrooms, the Soi 57 FS, Marquis and Ren are all nicer than the JW. The FS and Marquis would be my top choices, but there's lots of information on the Marriott forum. Soi 57 FS is about a block from the BTS, is generous with upgrades, has great service, nice views, is quiet and the rooms/bathrooms are swank. The Marquis is farther from the BTS, also has swank rooms/bathrooms and excellent service. The Ren is basically on the BTS route, on the SkyWalk and a nice CL. The JW is starting to show its age and actually has smaller rooms and downright cramped bathrooms with no natural light. Some feel it is too close to Nana.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This hotel refuses to act in good faith.

I had a 3 room BRG and a day after checkout 1 room posted accurately to my account. I was in the area and spoke with a duty manager who took the info. A week later I was back for a stay and at checkin mentioned the situation to a manager who had checked me in the week before and said he'd look into it and get in contact with me. At checkout the next day I spoke with yet another duty manager who again took my information and said they would be in touch.

Two days later I recieved an email asking me for the reservation info - again.

Finally two days later the remaining two room post plus the BRG points for each. Within 12 hours my Feb 15-May 15 promo 4K pts post as well. Yee haw all is well.

Except its not as the hotel decided to retract the stay credits. New contact produced a response that they needed to get info from SPG before posting again. Seriously, what is going on???

Get an email again today that the the stays post, please check my account.

The dolts gave me two nights as an AWARD.

I didn't want to assign malice and rather point at incompetence, but now I'm thinking they simply are not acting in good faith.

Edit: Finally someone with an clue took hold of the situation and it's now rectified.

Last edited by dsquared37; May 11, 2017 at 4:21 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tuk tuks are no longer on demand and there is a schedule posted at the front desk showing that the service has now been greatly curtailed.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:00 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Carpets in the rooms (at least some of them) removed and laminate wood flooring installed in its place.

Air con in rooms, very cool, and adjustable.

Breakfast completely redesigned. It's an Aloft, so despite the changes being an overall lower breakfast, I'm ok with it. But, staff quick at cleaning tables, as needed.

Overall, a good stay.

Thanks Aloft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.