Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Who’s in Samui? Is the hotel still operating as something else? What’s the story about it?

I stayed there a few years ago. Didn’t mind it but it didn’t shriek Le Meridien to me.
It'll just de-flag and go private or change affiliation at some point. Hard to imagine a resort like that can go on as an independent.

The thing with LM is that the brand is really 'wishy washy' especially when it comes to resorts. Is the LM Bali Jimbaran really a property that reminds you on Le Meridien? I have the feeling this brand can really be applied anywhere as long as they have a bit modern design and blow the corporate scent through the lobby.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:19 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
It'll just de-flag and go private or change affiliation at some point. Hard to imagine a resort like that can go on as an independent.

The thing with LM is that the brand is really 'wishy washy' especially when it comes to resorts. Is the LM Bali Jimbaran really a property that reminds you on Le Meridien? I have the feeling this brand can really be applied anywhere as long as they have a bit modern design and blow the corporate scent through the lobby.
I agree with parts of this. As far as identity goes, Le Méridien was historically a bit 'lost' - it was "French chic" pre-Starwood, then art-centric and creative guest-targeting under Starwood [remember the pops of lurid red and topographical designs?] before transitioning over to a mid-century modern, creative brand shortly before the Marriott acquisition, and Starwood was in the early process of bringing the portfolio in line. I believe Marriott is cementing this latter concept to create a brand whose properties have a distinct mid-century modern design, offer creative and destination-centric programs and celebrate travel through the LM Sparkling beverage offering and other curated events throughout the year.

When it comes to their resorts, there really isn't a design standout since they were all from the Starwood days and fell victim, if you will, to being built in a time when Starwood was experimenting with different concepts for the brand. Koh Samui seemed like a nice enough property, but not a 'proper' Le Méridien given the brand's tenets - same with Bali, Suvarnabhumi [Bangkok], Shimei Bay, Jaipur, Mahabaleshwar, Chiang Rai or Phuket. The newer resorts in China - Emei Mountain, Qingdao West Coast - are doing a better job since they're newer and are operating under Marriott's more controlled guidelines for the brand. Resorts in Bodrum [a takeover, but it seems to fit the brand image] and the renovation of Le Royal Méridien Dubai, do a far better job of being Le Méridien hotels from a design point of view, while the remaining ones in the Seychelles, Dahab and Marrakech need work [Ile Maurice is nearly done renovating and will fit right in when done].

Marriott needs to do more work to push existing properties up to standard but I believe that, in general, newer properties will be better standard bearers for the brand, and will be more consistent from an identity and experience perspective.

khabah
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by khabah

Marriott needs to do more work to push existing properties up to standard but I believe that, in general, newer properties will be better standard bearers for the brand, and will be more consistent from an identity and experience perspective.
There lies the crux of the issue.

Marriott has so many brands now that it's almost impossible to implement, let alone enforce a design or brand standard across all their properties. It's gotten totally out of control, last but no least following the acquisition of SPG.

While SPG was generally quite consistent Marriott has always been a disaster when it came to brand standards. For example JW / Ritz Carlton / Courtyard can be great, decent or a completely mismanaged. I always found that shocking.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jul 20, 2020 at 8:03 pm Reason: Masked profanity removed per FT rules.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The Lamai Samui (formerly Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa)

https://www.thelamaisamui.com/
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.