Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, Macau [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, Macau [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by markis10

It has not been the case that the airport is quicker than going downtown for the many times I have contemplated it, largely due to the two hour between landing and departure requirement for baggage transfer. With the speed restrictions the services have been significantly reduced, for instance the only evening service after 1700 is 2210 with Turbojet ex HKG, while Cotai Jet as noted have none.
Very true. But that wasn’t the question that was asked which was about whether there was a free bus from the Outer terminal. Which there is and it takes around 10 minutes longer to get to the hotel than arriving at Cotai.

And these ferries from the airport are only convenient if your flight times align. I live in Shenzhen and have never got one either way because it’s always been quicker to taxi it to Lok Ma Chau. On the other hand, I did take the ferry to Cotai on Friday at 16.15 having arrived from Paris at 15.00 which was great and I’d have taken the 17.00 to Outer otherwise which would still have been quicker than going into HK and waiting for the next ferry to Macau at either port.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:28 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ftrichard

Very true. But that wasn’t the question that was asked which was about whether there was a free bus from the Outer terminal. Which there is and it takes around 10 minutes longer to get to the hotel than arriving at Cotai.

And these ferries from the airport are only convenient if your flight times align.
Flyer talk is at its best when one doesn’t assume an OP is aware of all their options
Old May 13, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by markis10

Flyer talk is at its best when one doesn’t assume an OP is aware of all their options
In which case we both dismally failed to mention the third option of getting a bus across the new bridge from HK to Macau and indeed, abjectly, neither of us anticipated the OP’s eventual decision and advised him to forget it.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm sure most people would prefer the St. Regis but it's a Cat 7 and pitched at a different market with significantly higher room rates. Not sure that would solve the worsening Saturday night problem in Macau.

I've already decided that I won't do a points redemption at the Sheraton any more given the decreasing chance of a suite - which is really its only wow factor. The JW is also a Cat 5 and I'm sure their basic room is better than the Sheraton's.
I was only trying to help but you completely ignored my message and took the last few words, saying that I preferred the Regis and how this was inappropraite etc. If only you concentrated on the main part of my reply.... Frankly, such replies put me off contributing to the forum.

To help increase your upgrade chances, I said you should maintain a contact with someone working at the hotel - that's what I did last time and even managed a third person and extra bed in the suite (with lounge access) for free - it was a BRG too. However, to guarantee a suite, the solution is to book one and pay for it. Alternatively, go on a weekday and then you can get the Regis for a reasonable rate. You should save your points, at 35k per night, not worth it vis-a-vis the cash value.
ftrichard likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I was only trying to help but you completely ignored my message and took the last few words, saying that I preferred the Regis and how this was inappropraite etc. If only you concentrated on the main part of my reply.... Frankly, such replies put me off contributing to the forum.

SNIP
Ok, ok. Don't go. I didn't say those words. My tone obviously reads wrongly because I was just being jovial and making a general point that *everyone* would prefer the St. Regis to the Sheraton. Myself included. Nothing personal and directed at you and I didn't say it was "inappropriate". I travel for leisure in the region many weekends (hence, Saturday nights) so to enable this I put a semi-strict budget on my nightly rate whichever city I go to. Nothing special about a weekend staycation in Macau apart from the chance to escape Shenzhen at a reasonable rate.

You are, of course, correct that a personal relationship at any hotel will often help. I have this now in the lounge there after meeting her three or four times in the past. But my experience of Saturday night upgrades the last two stays has been off-putting after a succession of great experiences a few years ago.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Stayed at Sheraton Macao twice in the past month (both 1 week each), I thought I'll write a joint report.

Check-in: both times checked in at the lounge on 4th floor (please do that if you're Platinum+, first floor is a zoo). Both times quick and efficient, super friendly staff carrying a conversation with you as they check you in.

Upgrade: Both times upgraded to a fantastic suite (living room, dining room, ex-karaoke room, and bed room). One of my stays was redemptive stay.

Breakfast: used to be great (have stayed here many years ago) but now it's pretty average. And it's so crowded at certain times you have to be seated and can't sit yourself. They need to do something about it as the last thing I wanted do when I head to lounge is to take a number and wait in the lobby.

Lounge: overall spacious (non-dining hours) but limited selections in both coffee and drinks. I've been to a small town's Sheraton that offered more drinks selections. Really they can do a little better here. While check-in staff are supremely friendly and helpful, for some reason the staff inside are not. I've asked someone standing there for a cup of Latte and unlike all other Sheratons that will serve you, she simply pointed to the coffee machine and say "do it yourself", yep, exactly what she said to me.

Facilities: really didn't use anything and ALL dining in the huge mall downstairs (even across the street) you can charge to your room. Really good to make it one stop. If you plan to do that simply remember to deposit a higher amount of money to avoid the embarrassment of "sorry, charge to your room decline".

Location: really excellent in my opinion for views, especially the night view across the street to Parisian and Venetian. Make sure to ask for a room that gets you great view across the street.

Final thoughts: for some reason they never credit their points correctly so both times I had to call Bonvoy to get points, make sure to get your copy of receipt at checkout to make the process easier. But overall, a decent hotel to stay in but some of the decor you can tell are dated. But hey, a 4-room suite, no complaints.
This post, among others like it, inform my upcoming stay at this property in two weeks. I will be there Thur - Sat so do not know about upgrades and how crowded the lounge will be for breakfast on Saturday.

I take it that one must quickly get oriented once arriving by bus from the Macau Taipa ferry then find the elevators to use the lounge check-in on the 4th floor, right? I probably used a similar scheme last year when staying at the JW Marriott.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
This post, among others like it, inform my upcoming stay at this property in two weeks. I will be there Thur - Sat so do not know about upgrades and how crowded the lounge will be for breakfast on Saturday.

I take it that one must quickly get oriented once arriving by bus from the Macau Taipa ferry then find the elevators to use the lounge check-in on the 4th floor, right? I probably used a similar scheme last year when staying at the JW Marriott.
You will probably be all right if you're not staying a Saturday night. They're the killer now. On Saturdays, the hotel and its 4000 rooms are expensive and packed with weekend gamblers from the mainland. If you check out on Saturday then you're probably all right.

To orient yourself... when you arrive find the Italian restaurant on the ground floor called Bene. Upon entering the main entrance at the front with your back to the Venetian this restaurant is on your left. It's closing soon as they redevelop the whole area into some hideous London-themed thing. Anyway find it. Face away from it and walk straight ahead to the elevators there on the right. Take the elevators to the 4th floor. Follow the signs to the lounge and check in there.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:05 am

Got it. Thank you!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Got it. Thank you!
Also. At the main checkin area which is crowded like mad sometimes just go up to the seperate 'mobile checkin' desk where there is usually nobody at all who can also check you in and are also very good. Somehow the CN crowd doesn't ever use pre check in for many things (for whatever reason) so use this to your advantage.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:29 pm

I will have used Mobile check-in using the app on my iPhone so you are saying there is a dedicated line on the first floor that might be faster than going to the lounge check-in? Does that make a difference about potential upgrades?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:28 pm

I will have used Mobile check-in using the app on my iPhone so you are saying there is a dedicated line on the first floor that might be faster than going to the lounge check-in? Does that make a difference about potential upgrades?
Go to the lounge on the 4th floor to check in. When you arrive at the hotel you will see why you want to get out of the lobby as soon as possible.

The staff in the lounge are used to dealing with elites properly. There are three or four check in desks there. It's unlikely you will have to queue at all when arriving at the lounge. The lounge is more like a private club with its own bar, buffet, and dining area.

If you're going to get a suite because of your elite status (and because you're not staying a Saturday night the chances are higher) then the staff in the lounge will know what you're after and be ideally placed to serve you.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:31 pm

I checked in on the 4th floor with no complications. However, I had not read this thread carefully enough to know I would be asked if I wanted the lounge breakfast or a more diverse international breakfast called the Feast Buffet breakfast.

I am not looking to eat a monster breakfast but is there a particular draw to the Feast Buffet breakfast?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am not looking to eat a monster breakfast but is there a particular draw to the Feast Buffet breakfast?
The sad spectacle of seeing 500 Asians in that large room filing their plates to overflowing with food they barely touch.

It was sad to see and can't recall seeing that anywhere else to that extent.

I am guessing they were mainly mainland Chinese, but who knows.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:45 pm

I checked in on the 4th floor with no complications. However, I had not read this thread carefully enough to know I would be asked if I wanted the lounge breakfast or a more diverse international breakfast called the Feast Buffet breakfast.

Feast is the main hotel buffet downstairs. There's no reason for taking breakfast there at the Sheraton Macau given the lounge itself has an extensive buffet for breakfast particularly if you're not after a "monster" breakfast but even if you were then you'd probably be satisfied with the lounge's breakfast spread at this hotel.

Ozstamps is also correct but (a) he's being shy in identifying the specific, dominant, nationality and (b) you'll witness the same behavour in the lounge on a smaller scale. It's cultural. Leaving huge mounds of food on the plate and table indicate to the world that you are now wealthy. To the rest of us it's an obscene waste but just accept that they don't view it like that.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:46 am

You will probably be all right if you're not staying a Saturday night. They're the killer now. On Saturdays, the hotel and its 4000 rooms are expensive and packed with weekend gamblers from the mainland. If you check out on Saturday then you're probably all right.

To orient yourself... when you arrive find the Italian restaurant on the ground floor called Bene. Upon entering the main entrance at the front with your back to the Venetian this restaurant is on your left. It's closing soon as they redevelop the whole area into some hideous London-themed thing. Anyway find it. Face away from it and walk straight ahead to the elevators there on the right. Take the elevators to the 4th floor. Follow the signs to the lounge and check in there.
Since it took 30 hours to get to Macau, I was off-balance when dumped at a remote door by the Sands Cotai Central bus. Fortunately, I remembered your notes and that got me on the right track. Thank you.

I was upgraded to a very nice suite and felt like the agents in front of the 4th floor club worked hard to get me a nice room with an early arrival. (My ICN-HKG flight was early so I caught an earlier ferry than planned.)
ftrichard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.