Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by odie11
If I am fine taking Ubers or driving, we will actually have a car, would that make a difference in your opinion. We arrive at 7:00 AM from CMN so we have all day plus the morning of the second day before heading to Al Maha to arrive around lunch.
As far as use of points to comfort, was what I was thinking. I saw your reviews and know you really enjoyed St Regis Corniche.
Points value aside and location aside, yes, the STR Corniche is a nice hotel, probably the best overall choice for your needs.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Points value aside and location aside, yes, the STR Corniche is a nice hotel, probably the best overall choice for your needs.
The beach club which you access through a in-hotel underpass is quite nice, with a small beach.. It's not like the St Regis Saadiyat Island Resort but for a city hotel it's very good.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have any opinions on the Sheraton vs the Le Meridien for a family break? Will have lounge access in both so good to get an opinion on that if possible?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by danboy767
Does anyone have any opinions on the Sheraton vs the Le Meridien for a family break? Will have lounge access in both so good to get an opinion on that if possible?
Both are the 'older' properties in the Emirate but they've been refurbished over the years and are generally good. The resorts at both properties are also good as is the service levels. I last stayed at Le Meridien in 2019 when it had just been refurbished
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by odie11
If I am fine taking Ubers or driving, we will actually have a car, would that make a difference in your opinion. We arrive at 7:00 AM from CMN so we have all day plus the morning of the second day before heading to Al Maha to arrive around lunch.
As far as use of points to comfort, was what I was thinking. I saw your reviews and know you really enjoyed St Regis Corniche.
Taxis are so plentiful and cheap in Abu Dhabi that I would recommend that over driving myself. Note that unless things have changed in the last few years, paying taxis with cash is much easier than any other method.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Blumie
Note that unless things have changed in the last few years, paying taxis with cash is much easier than any other method.
All RTA taxis are supposed to take cards now. If the card machine is “broken” (like they always used to be….) the RTA policy says the ride is free. I’ve never had to try and push that. 🤷‍♂️
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjn21
All RTA taxis are supposed to take cards now. If the card machine is “broken” (like they always used to be….) the RTA policy says the ride is free. I’ve never had to try and push that. 🤷‍♂️
The last thing I want to do is screw over one of those taxi drivers. When I lived there I always paid in cash. Perhaps paying with a credit card has improved, but I still would pay in cash if only because I’m pretty certain the taxi drivers would prefer it.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:10 pm

Which St Regis

I’m planning our first ever trip to Abu Dhabi, despite having had numerous holidays in Dubai in the past.

I’ve narrowed the hotel choice down to one of the two StR properties (or indeed, a 50/50 split at both is possible). I’d appreciate the views of the collective wisdom here.

Data points:

- 8 nights in late August / early September.
- Travelling as a couple, late 30s.
- In August we favour spending sunrise and late afternoon golden hour at the beach, but spend our days exploring air conditioned attractions. One mall day would be ok too.
- We’re keen swimmers - so a proper swimming pool would be an advantage.
- I have Bonvoy Titanium status so reliable provision of Bonvoy perks would also be advantageous. I have 5 SNA to use. This will be a cash trip because I don’t find the points rates enticing at either hotel.
- We’ll have a rental car for the whole trip.
- We rarely eat evening meals on property. We love to eat at local places. A selection of local restaurants within walking distance would be awesome, but not imperative.
- For context, our go-to property in Dubai is Grosvenor House.
- The price difference is not a deal breaker, but the StR Saadiyat is coming out about AED 2,700 (Ł600 GBP) more expensive for the full 8 nights.

I realise we can’t tick every box, but on balance, I’d be super grateful for any advice about which property might be best for us. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tom London
I’m planning our first ever trip to Abu Dhabi, despite having had numerous holidays in Dubai in the past.

I’ve narrowed the hotel choice down to one of the two StR properties (or indeed, a 50/50 split at both is possible). I’d appreciate the views of the collective wisdom here.

Data points:

- In August we favour spending sunrise and late afternoon golden hour at the beach, but spend our days exploring air conditioned attractions. One mall day would be ok too.
- I have Bonvoy Titanium status so reliable provision of Bonvoy perks would also be advantageous. I have 5 SNA to use. This will be a cash trip because I don’t find the points rates enticing at either hotel.
- We rarely eat evening meals on property. We love to eat at local places. A selection of local restaurants within walking distance would be awesome, but not imperative.
- The price difference is not a deal breaker, but the StR Saadiyat is coming out about AED 2,700 (Ł600 GBP) more expensive for the full 8 nights.

I realise we can’t tick every box, but on balance, I’d be super grateful for any advice about which property might be best for us. Thanks!
I haven’t stayed at either property, but have spent time at both. In my mind the Saadiyat property is much more attractive and much better located. Certainly the Corniche location is more convenient to some attractions, but getting around by car (or taxi) is really easy. Also, although you indicated that you don’t usually dine at the property, the Thai restaurant at the Saadiyat location was one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Abu Dhabi. (They since have opened a Greek restaurant which I would like to try.)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold

Data points:

The Downtown St Regis on the Cornish doesn't accept NUAs but Saadiyat does. You can try a dummy booking for your dates.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:55 am

Thanks both for the advice! Now leaning more towards booking the Saadiyat property for the entire trip.

Keen to hear from anyone who has stayed at both and can comment from that perspective.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Thanks both for the advice! Now leaning more towards booking the Saadiyat property for the entire trip.

Keen to hear from anyone who has stayed at both and can comment from that perspective.
Personally, I liked the Corniche property a bit more, but that's more because, all things considered, I prefer staying in a city tower over staying in a beach resort. I also didn't find taxis in Abu Dhabi to be that cheap or convenient, so it was nice to be able to walk around the Corniche area vs. being slightly stranded in Saadiyat.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:14 am

If you have 5 NUAs but intending to spend 8 nights in Abu Dhabi, then I would spend 5 nights at the Saadiyat property, and the rest of it at the Corniche. I don't think either hotel (and their respective areas) are interesting or compelling enough for the full 8 night stay.

Saadiyat is unmistakably a resort, whereas Corniche is a hybrid of city/resort. Saadiyat is close to Mamsha Al Saadiyat district, which has a row of quite nice restaurants by the beach (although the August heat will make it less convenient). I wouldn't say that there's an amazing amount of stuff around the Corniche property, and the mall attached to it is particularly pointless - only a couple of restaurants and cafes are useful there.
Originally Posted by rjn21
Except that RTA is only for Dubai, not Abu Dhabi, so the RTA rules do not apply.

It's been ages since I took a normal cab but, until quite recently, Abu Dhabi taxis only accepted credit cards via an app that you needed to download, not directly through the physical card or Apple Pay etc. In Abu Dhabi, either use Uber/Careem apps (cars and drivers are much better), or better to carry cash for the normal cabs just in case.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by stargold
Except that RTA is only for Dubai, not Abu Dhabi, so the RTA rules do not apply.
Totally correct - a personal brain fail mixing up Dubai / Abu Dhabi.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve been to Abu Dhabi a few times recently and I ask in advance for a taxi that takes card payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.