Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
Do people usually tip at the end of the stay (for things like restaurant, service, and activities)? Given that it’s all inclusive, I won’t have the chance to tip when signing for each transaction.

I’d appreciate any guidance on how much and how this is done? I.e., can you put this on your credit cards at the end? Or should you tip cash throughout the stay?
I usually ordered some extra drinks (other than water and coffee or tea) at lunch and dinner. When we finished, they gave us a bill of extra charges, i put some tip on that bill. All extra charges were paid at check out. (They didn’t even ask for a credit card at check in.)

i also tipped the bell boy and some staffs in cash too.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Do people usually tip at the end of the stay (for things like restaurant, service, and activities)? Given that it’s all inclusive, I won’t have the chance to tip when signing for each transaction.

I’d appreciate any guidance on how much and how this is done? I.e., can you put this on your credit cards at the end? Or should you tip cash throughout the stay?
I tipped our activity guide 100 AED at the end of our 2-day stay. He was really great and even took us on a short dune bashing trip when we were just supposed to do the free wildlife drive.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver

We tipped the guy who checked us in and guided us to our villa (on the spot); the server who took care of us at dinner each night (on the last evening); the game drive guide (on the spot); and the 2 guys who cleaned our villa twice each day (at the end of our stay). All in cash as, if you try to enter on the credit card when you check out, there is little chance that it gets to the individuals you want to thank for their service. Every one of them was grateful but not surprised to be offered a tip.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I tipped our activity guide 100 AED at the end of our 2-day stay. He was really great and even took us on a short dune bashing trip when we were just supposed to do the free wildlife drive.
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
We tipped the guy who checked us in and guided us to our villa (on the spot); the server who took care of us at dinner each night (on the last evening); the game drive guide (on the spot); and the 2 guys who cleaned our villa twice each day (at the end of our stay). All in cash as, if you try to enter on the credit card when you check out, there is little chance that it gets to the individuals you want to thank for their service. Every one of them was grateful but not surprised to be offered a tip.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:25 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP

I'm really not a tipper (I don't really tip in the US), but at Al Maha people really go beyond their job, smile all the time and do their best. Plus they are far from their families and living in the middle of nowhere with a limited number of guests, so in my mind tipping was really natural here.

I tipped as follows:

100 AED to field guide for 5 days (just because he was great, some of the other more recent guides weren't)
17-40 AED evening service at Diwaan (was rounding up in function of drinks we had)
20-25 AED for five days for each cleaner (there were 2 for the morning and 2 at night)
I didn't tip the front desk agent who had been allocated to us because he didn't come and say goodbye when we left despite being right in front of me. The rest of his service was a bit too condescending so probably would not have been inclined to anyways.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:53 am

Thanks everyone for the guidance on tipping. This is super helpful.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:04 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
BTW ... mentioned above, but worth highlighting. Shop the duty free at DXB before going to the resort!
Beverages are tasty. Happy hour is reasonably priced. Outside of happy hour, drinks are quite expensive. Far better to bring something with you.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TBD
BTW ... mentioned above, but worth highlighting. Shop the duty free at DXB before going to the resort!
Beverages are tasty. Happy hour is reasonably priced. Outside of happy hour, drinks are quite expensive. Far better to bring something with you.
What about items like soda and extra bottled water. Are they included or at a reasonable price?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rstidolph
What about items like soda and extra bottled water. Are they included or at a reasonable price?
Soda is at extra charge, bottled water is free and unlimited.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Bottle water is free. Even though I was there for 1 night, I had about 9 bottle of water in the room.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks, wife drinks a lot of water. For me it is diet soda.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:44 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
A soda IIRC was 28 AED to approximately 7.50 USD. Most mocktails are around 38 AED so a much better value than sodas.

So my advice would be to go to a supermarket before you head to Al Maha and stock up.

You also have some coolers/lemonade that are available (for free) in the lobby before activities (they are made available with canapes around 3PM daily).
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:12 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by GVA
You also have some coolers/lemonade that are available (for free) in the lobby before activities (they are made available with canapes around 3PM daily).
Ugh but who can be bothered to go all the way to the lobby just for canapes and infused water?

Except for the sunset / champagne event, which attracted maybe 30 guests, I don't think I ever saw more than 3 other guests in the lobby.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Ryanair Platinum
What's considered to be a good average price guys for lets say the May period? I'm receiving an offline offer of 7000 AED for 2 nights full board all taxes included.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:57 pm

Anyone from the US in Al Maha or Dubai now? We are supposed to visit soon but not sure if we'll still go. While it may or may not be safe, does it feel like the US is not welcome in UAE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.