Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by atomz4peace
Anyone from the US in Al Maha or Dubai now? We are supposed to visit soon but not sure if we'll still go. While it may or may not be safe, does it feel like the US is not welcome in UAE?
UAE is one of the closest ally of the USA in the middle-east..
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by jvde
What's considered to be a good average price guys for lets say the May period? I'm receiving an offline offer of 7000 AED for 2 nights full board all taxes included.
7000 AED for 2 nights is probably as low as I've seen it with taxes included.
jvde likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Anyone from the US in Al Maha or Dubai now? We are supposed to visit soon but not sure if we'll still go. While it may or may not be safe, does it feel like the US is not welcome in UAE?
what leads you to believe it won't be safe????
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:31 pm

Honestly, the UAE is the safest country in the Middle East. The security and surveillance there is one of the best in the world and as a result, they have one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

With that said, the US Air Force operates out of Al Dhafra Airbase near Abu Dhabi and the US Navy has ships in Jebel Ali port south of Dubai. Those, as well as oil refineries in the region, would both be targets of Iran if a full scale war were to break out.

Kidnappings, roadside bombs, and random skirmishes do not happen in the UAE like you see on the news in other Middle East countries. It’s a largely expat country and has been very westernized over the years.

Having been there before with a decent knowledge of the culture and area, I wouldn’t cancel a trip if I had one booked. Though I also wouldn’t be walking around there wearing an American flag t-shirt at the moment because I’m sure at least a few people in the UAE are not happy with America right now. That’s not much different then most of the world at the moment though. If you go you just need to be vigilant of your surroundings. If your plan is to fly into Dubai, hangout around the mall and the marina, then go to Al Maha, you should be fine.
Happy and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Well, Canada just issued a warning to exercise a "high degree of caution" when traveling to UAE so it is a reasonable question for someone who has never been. I am not sure why people are attacking the OP. I think it is safe and will fly through Dubai in a couple of weeks. I just left Jordan and am now in Asia. Dubai is perfectly safe to walk around and there is good security. If war breaks out that is another issue.

Al Maha is also in the middle of the desert so very safe

but day to day Dubai is fine in my mind for tourists even with rising tensions.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:20 am

Not sure why my previous reply was removed, however, I will try again. Yes, Canada has issued a security alert, but not because North Americans would be unwelcome in UAE, but because the UAE might be the target for Yemeni terrorists. Those attacks would not necessarily target North Americans. There is no reason why North Americans would be unwelcome in UAE. The security alert is the same one that is in place for France and the UK for example and similar to advisories that Japan, the U.K. and New Zealand, among others, have about the US. If you were to avoid travel to all places that have a travel advisory about them, you would not have many places left to go.
Happy and Kaloz like this.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Jan 5, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:01 pm

Are you doing these in cash on the spot?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:57 am

Has anyone used Welcome Pickups to get to (or, more importantly, from) Al Maha? I booked with them - from Dubai before Al Maha, to Abu Dhabi after - but AD isn't actually in their "available cities" list (Dubai is, and they consider Al Maha to be Dubai 'enough' apparently) and I want to make sure they'll actually come pick me up at Al Maha and take me where I want to go. Groundlink told me they couldn't promise a driver to come pick me up at Al Maha, though they were happy to schedule one to take me there, and I mostly want to make sure the same isn't likely to end up true (with me finding out at the last minute when no one comes) at Al Maha.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'll be in the same situation next month - Dubai -> Al Maha -> Abu Dhabi, so also interested in the replies!

Airport Taxi Transfers has direct quote DXB-> Al Maha, but only quotes Al Maha to AUH, though we'd be going to our next hotel in Abu Dhabi.

BookTaxi Abu Dhabi quotes from $240 upwards for Al Maha-AD, feels a bit on the high side

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:59 am
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:56 am

This is less an Al Maha and more of a DXB question, so mods, feel free to move it accordingly :-) We will be staying at the Al Maha for three nights next month. We check out on the Saturday, but our flight is not until 02:30 on Sunday morning to the US. What would be the suggestion on how to proceed? Go to DXB airport first and leave luggage at airport around noon, and then take a taxi into town and see one or two sights? If so, any recommended sights?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:48 pm

https://airportstaxitransfers.com/ is asking me to put in the address of Al Maha (even though I put Al Maha in the destination). Should I just use this address from the marriott website: Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve, Dubai - Al Ain Road, Dubai 118887 United Arab Emirates ?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
https://airportstaxitransfers.com/ is asking me to put in the address of Al Maha (even though I put Al Maha in the destination). Should I just use this address from the marriott website: Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve, Dubai - Al Ain Road, Dubai 118887 United Arab Emirates ?
Not sure this will help, but I found in most places I checked that I had to specifically do "Al Maha Luxury..." to get the search underneath the form to find what I wanted (Al Maha A Luxury Collection Resort by Marriott, or something like that). Just "Al Maha" apparently goes somewhere else.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I just booked transfers for next month through Al Maha - was going to do third party services, but decided since I'm not 100% sure I'll have a working phone this will be easier. We're going from Abu Dhabi - Al Maha - Dubai.

Their reply to my email with pricing is below:Transfer option 1:
Private luxury transfer at the rate of AED 425 per way in a 4WD vehicle between any point in Dubai to Al Maha. (Vehicle – GMC / BMW 5 / AUDI A6)

Private luxury transfer at the rate of AED 916 per way in a 4WD vehicle between any point in Abu Dhabi to Al Maha. (Vehicle – GMC / BMW 5 / AUDI A6)

Transfer option 2:
Private luxury transfer of AED 380 per way between any point in Dubai to Al Maha. (Vehicle – Lexus / Infinity /Toyota Previa)

Private luxury transfer of AED 700 per way between any point in Abu Dhabi to Al Maha. (Vehicle – Lexus / Infinity / Toyota Previa)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
I just booked transfers for next month through Al Maha - was going to do third party services, but decided since I'm not 100% sure I'll have a working phone this will be easier. We're going from Abu Dhabi - Al Maha - Dubai.

Their reply to my email with pricing is below:Transfer option 1:
Private luxury transfer at the rate of AED 425 per way in a 4WD vehicle between any point in Dubai to Al Maha. (Vehicle – GMC / BMW 5 / AUDI A6)

Private luxury transfer at the rate of AED 916 per way in a 4WD vehicle between any point in Abu Dhabi to Al Maha. (Vehicle – GMC / BMW 5 / AUDI A6)

Transfer option 2:
Private luxury transfer of AED 380 per way between any point in Dubai to Al Maha. (Vehicle – Lexus / Infinity /Toyota Previa)

Private luxury transfer of AED 700 per way between any point in Abu Dhabi to Al Maha. (Vehicle – Lexus / Infinity / Toyota Previa)
We just went to Al Maha a couple weeks ago and had a similar arrival and departure as yourself. We ended up renting a car through Hertz and paid a total of about $93 USD for our 4 days.

Got a little turned around getting to the resort since we didn't have a working phone, but driving was extremely easy and this was our first trip to the Middle East. Something to consider.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Well, Canada just issued a warning to exercise a "high degree of caution" when traveling to UAE so it is a reasonable question for someone who has never been.
Yes, reasonable question. That said, sometimes I wonder if those "warnings" are issued by people who have ever been to the destination in question!

If apocalypse was about to hit, Al Maha might be on my list of the safest Luxury Collection hotels on the planet except if somehow the situation was such that we would be in danger of running out of drinking water!
TerryK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.