Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
Does anyone know how much it costs for Al Maha to arrange transportation from the hotel to Dubai? I read in an early post that this is possible for them to arrange transportation within ~1 hour notice, but I didn't see a price.

Also, is it possible for them to call a taxi, instead of their normal transportation option? I'm not sure if there are any taxis near the Al Maha, but I'm thinking that this might be a fraction of the cost.
Dubai to Al Maha is 425AED, so I suspect the other way around is similar/ identical. It's honestly a very fair rate for nearly an hour in a desert-suitable 4x4. You can probably get a taxi if you book one yourself online for about 1/2 the price, but you have to build in a good margin for the chance of the driver getting lost and/ or wrecking their car on the dunes. They may also ask to pick you up from the Al Maha entrance, meaning you'll need to get a hotel car to take you the 10min or so to the gate.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Dubai to Al Maha is 425AED, so I suspect the other way around is similar/ identical. It's honestly a very fair rate for nearly an hour in a desert-suitable 4x4. You can probably get a taxi if you book one yourself online for about 1/2 the price, but you have to build in a good margin for the chance of the driver getting lost and/ or wrecking their car on the dunes. They may also ask to pick you up from the Al Maha entrance, meaning you'll need to get a hotel car to take you the 10min or so to the gate.
Thanks for this! So the 425AED was the priced book through Al Maha?

My quote from the St Regis Abu Dhabi for transportation was around 2,000AED one way, so the 425 AED is much more reasonable.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

Yes, booked via the hotel, possibly 18 months ago. I don't think it's a hotel car per se, but obviously their preferred provider.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Yes, booked via the hotel, possibly 18 months ago. I don't think it's a hotel car per se, but obviously their preferred provider.
much thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:10 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

My quote from the St Regis Abu Dhabi for transportation was around 2,000AED one way, so the 425 AED is much more reasonable.
I paid 367 AED booked directly with Al Maha for transportation from a hotel in The Palm Dubai which is farther away than DXB airport. Third party operators were charging less but the difference was not very material (far more than half price!) so I went with Al Maha's provider.

For the ride out of Al Maha to DXB I paid 55 USD from a third party which is roughly the "half price" referred to above.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

not sure if it is a typo or a mistake of geography, but Abu Dhabi is a lot further away from Al Maha than Dubai is, so price comparisons are not valid.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:26 pm

So heading there first week of September, looking at weather it is excruciatingly hot as I assumed. Has anyone gone around this time (August/Sep) and can give me an idea of what to actually expect the day to look like with these levels of heat. I even saw 111 real feel at midnight..
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
So heading there first week of September, looking at weather it is excruciatingly hot as I assumed. Has anyone gone around this time (August/Sep) and can give me an idea of what to actually expect the day to look like with these levels of heat. I even saw 111 real feel at midnight..
It will be very hot, potentially very very hot.You're at the end of summer in the middle of a desert in the hottest region of the world.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "cool" season starts in Nov thru Mar the latest. Even during that time the temp is not really "cool" by any standard, just less hot and more tolerable, like, Summer in Florida without the humidity.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know how much it costs for Al Maha to arrange transportation from the hotel to Dubai? I read in an early post that this is possible for them to arrange transportation within ~1 hour notice, but I didn't see a price.

Also, is it possible for them to call a taxi, instead of their normal transportation option? I'm not sure if there are any taxis near the Al Maha, but I'm thinking that this might be a fraction of the cost.
I booked Blacklane lovely Merc E Class from an airport hotel to Al Maha for around 85US dollars. Should have booked return at the same time as was showing same price but when I got to resort it jumped up to $140 ish .. so I booked with Airport Taxi Transfer https://airportstaxitransfers.com/tr...-Dubai-Airport
+United+Arab+Emirates - i booked a slightly posher car, but then they called and said they didn't have one available so I got a regular one for 55US which is a bit of a bargain.

Absolutely no issues with dessert roads or taxi's wanting to pick up from main gate. Iwould let the hotel know you've ordered a car if you book independently. Cannot see the point of paying the hotel prices.

Have fun - it's a fantastic resort.
CF

Last edited by CaroFos; Aug 12, 2019 at 1:19 am Reason: wrong taxi co put in..
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:25 am

Went in July - see my review above. They start activities 5:30am to make it doable, and sundowners in the desert are easily bearable too. Mid day you can relax in your private pool
mikewhyatt likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I drive to Al Maha with regular rentals or do I need 4WD?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Regular car can definitely make the trip
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Can I drive to Al Maha with regular rentals or do I need 4WD?
Regular rental yes, the resort recommends guests not to bring a sports car. The last bit of road is dirty / gravel so you need to drive slowly.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:05 pm

I booked ground transport via the Emirates website:

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...-transfer.aspx

It's via Cartrawler, so we shall see. I've got a "business" car booked, that shows BMW.

Anyone else use this? Had a good price Round trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.