Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 10:43 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Dn10
Anyone lumped this in after 5 days in the Maldives? Wondering if it makes sense to keep the luxury secluded resort theme going, or if you'd be dying to not eat at the hotel and have some real entertainment
We did two nights here right before 5 nights in the Maldives and it was perfect.

To add to that based on some comments above:

- 2 nights is really the perfect length of stay here
- The food is really good
- Late checkout is *possible*. We did receive a 4pm checkout as Titanium (had a 10pm car to Dubai). It wasn't guaranteed but the last night they said they could accommodate.
- You would not at all want to stay here with the intent of going to Dubai itself. Break up the stay. It's a long ride (around an hour) with the last 15 minutes on a ow speed desert road.

Still working on a full review but that should help anyone looking here.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:13 am

I have a vacation planned later this year for 5 nights Maldives + 5 nights Al Maha. Wish me luck!
Old May 10, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
I have a vacation planned later this year for 5 nights Maldives + 5 nights Al Maha. Wish me luck!
Best of luck-- though if at all possible, I'd switch your 5 night Al Maha to 2 nights Al Maha and 3 downtown... unless you're writing a book or painting landscapes (they did have a nice easel setup in our room in March). I get that the 5th night free is compelling-- we spent 2 nights at Al Maha and enjoyed them, but we have no desire to return.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just spent 24 Hours at Al Maha - absolutely superb.. wish we'd had 48 hours/72 hours. agree with others that after 5 days you might get Cabin Fever.. Food was amazing, camel ride and Bird of Prey talk the following morning. Enjoyed the happy hour after the sundowner (2 drinks for price of 1 - pack them in!!) plus they leave you some port in the room to enjoy after dinner. We had Suite number 7 - perfect - great view and not too far to walk to spa and restaurant. Despite the resort being a little 'tired, they have refurbed the bits that matter. Bed and linens including pillows and comforter were really luxurious. Would highly recommend to anyone who is contemplating.

Booked Blacklane transfer from hotel airport to get there - nice E class merc for $80... rate was rather inflated on the return (despite checking and seeing same price the day before) .. jumped to $165 dollars so I tried the airport transfer co mentioned upthread and got a car for $55 dollars.

Drinks are expensive but let's face it,,, a few days of not binge drinking doesn't do any of us any harm!! :-)
Old May 12, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rp88
What are the best rooms on the property? I was going to email the property with a request.
I called and asked for one not too far from the main building and with a great view. We were given suite 7 which was perfect.. (and all ready for us when we arrived just after 12 noon - plus had the nice silver-coloured chaise longue .. I'd already made my mind up I didn't want 'green' ones so was very happy!!) ...

SOme people we met there who visit every year - sometimes twice (for 10 days!!) said 7 was a nice one in their opinion.

I don't agree they are all the same.. on the walk to ours which was on the r/h side as you walk away from the main building ... there are a couple on the l/s that you can see into the pool area... I'd want to avoid those ones.. Ours overlooked the dessert facing I guess SE so so you can watch the sun rise.,.
Caro
Old May 13, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Accor, CX, BA
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Just spent 24 Hours at Al Maha - absolutely superb.. wish we'd had 48 hours/72 hours. agree with others that after 5 days you might get Cabin Fever.. Food was amazing, camel ride and Bird of Prey talk the following morning. Enjoyed the happy hour after the sundowner (2 drinks for price of 1 - pack them in!!) plus they leave you some port in the room to enjoy after dinner. We had Suite number 7 - perfect - great view and not too far to walk to spa and restaurant. Despite the resort being a little 'tired, they have refurbed the bits that matter. Bed and linens including pillows and comforter were really luxurious. Would highly recommend to anyone who is contemplating.

Booked Blacklane transfer from hotel airport to get there - nice E class merc for $80... rate was rather inflated on the return (despite checking and seeing same price the day before) .. jumped to $165 dollars so I tried the airport transfer co mentioned upthread and got a car for $55 dollars.

Drinks are expensive but let's face it,,, a few days of not binge drinking doesn't do any of us any harm!! :-)
Thanks for your review.

Did you book the activities in advance (before arrival)? I heard there is a daily quota for the camel ride.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos
I called and asked for one not too far from the main building and with a great view. We were given suite 7 which was perfect.. (and all ready for us when we arrived just after 12 noon - plus had the nice silver-coloured chaise longue .. I'd already made my mind up I didn't want 'green' ones so was very happy!!) ...

SOme people we met there who visit every year - sometimes twice (for 10 days!!) said 7 was a nice one in their opinion.

I don't agree they are all the same.. on the walk to ours which was on the r/h side as you walk away from the main building ... there are a couple on the l/s that you can see into the pool area... I'd want to avoid those ones.. Ours overlooked the dessert facing I guess SE so so you can watch the sun rise.,.
Caro
This gives me hope that I will list the 5 nights there! To be honest if push comes to shove I don't mind a 1.5hr drive into Dubai for a day full of activities/sightseeing and come back. Rent a nice car, enjoy the drive through the desert.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:15 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kcl0203
Thanks for your review.

Did you book the activities in advance (before arrival)? I heard there is a daily quota for the camel ride.
You can do it at check-in
Old May 14, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by kcl0203
Thanks for your review.

I guess the daily quota will be based on how many camels available

And about booking the activity, I book them on check in as well and no issue.
I did my stay on low season period though.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
We booked the Camels/Sundowner experience on New Year's Eve and there were no capacity issues. You would think watching the sunset on this date is one of the most popular of the year.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Accor, CX, BA
just back from Al maha, here is few things worth to note

transportation:
from city > al maha
we took a taxi from Four Seasons DIFC to Al maha and it cost us 150AED (credit card accepted), 1 hour ride

from al maha to airport
we booked the ride via Airports Taxi transfers (which was recommended in this thread) and it cost us USD55 (~200AED). No reconfirmation made but the car arrived on time. We noticed a Careem logo inside the car and the car should belong in Careem business category. I would say this is a very reasonable price.

loyalty recognition:
the receptionist kept saying thank you for my gold elite status but I have not recevied any real benefit. (he said I could order the room service because I was their gold elite member, but it seems everyone can do that too)

i requested "a room close to the main building but remain good view", suite 32 was assigned and 5 minutes walking distance between suite and reception. they said the suite I stayed was one of their best suite. The view was really good but the privacy was not high enough.

meals:
i ate my breakfast and lunch in the suite, food was better than I expected, although the jumbo prawns were not fresh enough.

for the dinner I ate in their main restaurant. dinner menu choices was much better than the room service menu. Instead of the (frozen?) jumbo prawns, you could choose to have fresh Canadian lobster and even sashimi, which were not available in room service menu. It really amazed us since we were in the middle of no where.

We ordered smoothies and local still water (big bottle) during the dinner, they did not charge the water.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Pretty sure all of your seafood will have been frozen or you'd be feeling pretty ill by now.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:20 am

You’re in the desert. How fresh do you expect the seafood to be?
nldogbert likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Pretty sure all of your seafood will have been frozen or you'd be feeling pretty ill by now.
Why would the seafood need to be frozen?

Originally Posted by zzap
You’re in the desert. How fresh do you expect the seafood to be?
Live/freshly caught seafood is shipped to restaurants around the globe daily. With EK flying to 6 continents multiple times a day, fresh seafood should be the norm, not the exception. A live North Atlantic cold water Lobster can go from the ocean to a Middle East desert restaurant in less than 24 hours.

James
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A live North Atlantic cold water Lobster can go from the ocean to a Middle East desert restaurant in less than 24 hours.
Quite. Dubai consumes an incredible amount of fresh seafood - every luxury hotel's Friday brunch offerings is a good example.

It probably takes less than to go from DXB to Al Maha than DXB to a hotel in Marina in busy peak traffic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.