Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Is there any way to find out when a reservation was made? I used Points Advance so never got a confirmation email.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is there any way to find out when a reservation was made? I used Points Advance so never got a confirmation email.
They asked me to forward my confirmation email to them, which I assume they used to verify the date of the booking. Without the email, I don't know if they would have approved mine...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
If you made a Points Advance reservation, it was after LC was moved to the Marriott platform, so after Dec 11th.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:37 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by bailey911
I called them at the property and they said they will check with the GM. 3 days later I got an email with the confirmation.
Happy to say the GM politely confirmed I will still get the full board and two activities. Wish I didn't have to first endure the Reservations agents saying no twice, but I get this isn't a standard situation. Looking forward to this even more now since it doesn't appear to be an opportunity that exists for booking anymore (with points).
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:42 am

And there is apparently no need to commit fraud to hurt them. They are now ranked #45 on TripAdvisor after being top 10 before this fiasco. Although I think most people take TripAdvisor rankings with a grain of salt, especially when looking at a hotel like this, I have to think that this will hurt them.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:29 pm

I made a booking October 9 and previously talked about issues about going from a points to a cash booking and I did receive an email confirmation from hotel that this is a points booking and it has switched over. However, now when I check my 'rate details', it says room only and food and activities to be paid directly to hotel. I thought all bookings made prior to December 11 were full board...
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by tajee165
I made a booking October 9 and previously talked about issues about going from a points to a cash booking and I did receive an email confirmation from hotel that this is a points booking and it has switched over. However, now when I check my 'rate details', it says room only and food and activities to be paid directly to hotel. I thought all bookings made prior to December 11 were full board...
They are, mine said this but full board was honored.

We have just completed our three night points stay. Total cash cost was about $150 as we took the 4x4 drive with the surcharge.

In short, we loved it. We got one of the rooms with the best views over the desert without any other rooms being visible. The food was universally good to excellent, the best we have had in an all inclusive. Service was friendly and efficient. The pool was fantastic and well heated.

As others have noted, the villas and furnishings are worn, the hotel lets itself down here. We had doors with gaps which we had to spray insect repellant and the bath taps leaked. A renovation is needed.

A note of caution on late check out, the hotel appears very unwilling to do this. The person checking us in seemed nervous when the topic came up (I believe as a Plat Premier I am entitled to 4pm without question) and then was visibly relieved when I said we did not require it. If you need it, I would email in advance.

For those unable to secure full board, you have a difficult decision. We rented a car and it takes around an hour to get to downtown Dubai, other than service stations we could not see food nearby. I would not return without full board due to the amount of hassle involved.

I will share the welcome letter at a later point. The wording is very confusing, it says points stays have the charges but full board does not. The hotel staff just referred to mine as full board even though I booked with points.

Finally, I was concerned we might get second class treatment due to the generous points booking. We did not at all and were thanked for our loyalty.

Happy to answer any follow up questions.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrM2016
..........(I believe as a Plat Premier I am entitled to 4pm without question)......
Al Maha is a resort.
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I guess its better to book Al Maha as cash booking.

Even with all these changes I still definitely return if I have time to spend in Dubai
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TerryK
Al Maha is a resort.
Ah yes, my bad.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by MrM2016
They are, mine said this but full board was honored.

We have just completed our three night points stay. Total cash cost was about $150 as we took the 4x4 drive with the surcharge.

In short, we loved it. We got one of the rooms with the best views over the desert without any other rooms being visible. The food was universally good to excellent, the best we have had in an all inclusive. Service was friendly and efficient. The pool was fantastic and well heated.

As others have noted, the villas and furnishings are worn, the hotel lets itself down here. We had doors with gaps which we had to spray insect repellant and the bath taps leaked. A renovation is needed.

A note of caution on late check out, the hotel appears very unwilling to do this. The person checking us in seemed nervous when the topic came up (I believe as a Plat Premier I am entitled to 4pm without question) and then was visibly relieved when I said we did not require it. If you need it, I would email in advance.

For those unable to secure full board, you have a difficult decision. We rented a car and it takes around an hour to get to downtown Dubai, other than service stations we could not see food nearby. I would not return without full board due to the amount of hassle involved.

I will share the welcome letter at a later point. The wording is very confusing, it says points stays have the charges but full board does not. The hotel staff just referred to mine as full board even though I booked with points.

Finally, I was concerned we might get second class treatment due to the generous points booking. We did not at all and were thanked for our loyalty.

Happy to answer any follow up questions.
Thanks for this reply! I've emailed the hotel and they have confirmed it's a points booking with full board (2 activities and all meals included) however any changes would cause this to not be the case and any further bookings will be room only.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Al Maha to include meals and activities for award stays, according to Gary at View from the Wing:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ies-after-all/
TerryK and Keyser like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
That’s a great development, the awards remain one of the best value in the system.

One small comment on the blog post: the narrative of Marriott riding in vs. the hotel is slightly misleading, as after all the hotel is managed by... Marriott.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Great news. Glad I held on to my Points Advance booking rather than cancel it...I had a feeling something like this would happen. Now my question is, which makes more economical sense, taking a cab from Dubai Marina to the resort and then another cab from the resort to the airport, or just renting a car from the airport and driving myself roundtrip? Curious how the costs compare. Can someone answer?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UAuhoh
Al Maha to include meals and activities for award stays, according to Gary at View from the Wing:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ies-after-all/
great news....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.