Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The food at Al Maha was conspicuously good for an all inclusive, but not justifiable at a 1-2 Michelin star price level.

As for the the Namib desert, it’s completely incomparable to the Dubai nature reserve. Sunrise on Dune 45 was one of the most magical settings i’ve experienced in a pretty busy lifetime of travel.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Per person. Seen the similar quote before in the past on other sites. It is the same list but more clearly indicated the cost basis.

Even it is per room, one would fare far far better to take a nice cruise on a nice ship. just sayin.

That would cause many point booking cancellations made after Dec 11. Hopefully that would also help the standards do not slip further.
Does anyone know if the hotel has a reasonably priced room-service menu ?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

Does anyone know if the hotel has a reasonably priced room-service menu ?
I believe the whole resort is based around the meal concept. When I was on the all inclusive, you could ask for lunch or dinner to be served in the villa for no extra cost. We had a beautiful view, and it was a lovely perk.

It’s possible they could roll out a room service menu off season, but I suspect it’s unlikely.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:55 am

If they're no longer an all inclusive, they're going to have to come up with a more flexible meal scheme a la Maldives.

I'm happy to pay for meals if that's the new reality, and happy to pay (the inevitably) inflated prices, but I do not want to be essentially forced to pay for a massively expensive all inclusive package. If I want to just order a club sandwich for dinner and be done, I really have no interest in paying USD 250 for the privilege.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The food at Al Maha was conspicuously good for an all inclusive, but not justifiable at a 1-2 Michelin star price level.

As for the the Namib desert, it’s completely incomparable to the Dubai nature reserve. Sunrise on Dune 45 was one of the most magical settings i’ve experienced in a pretty busy lifetime of travel.
I am trying to convince spousal unit to incorporate the Dunes with a trip to Etosha that he wants.

If we can do the fly in that would probably convince him. Problem is it probably needs to book a year in advance for the desirable lodging. That even myself could not get over it.

Luxury and Dunes in Namibia ? Little Traveler's Notebook
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:11 am

Upon reading this thread on Christmas Eve, I checked my reservation and it showed breakfast included but did not speak to the remainder, so I wrote to the hotel. They responded that nothing is included and proceeded to unilaterally amend my reservation to room only, so for those that think the hotel will provide them with anything, better document it, because they will do whatever they feel like doing.
They offered to reinstate the full board and activities for just $800/night for two of us (2840 AED). I might just hold onto the 5 night reservation until close to the cancellation deadline and let them try to fill it on 30 days notice.
With every interaction I have with Marriott rewards, I become more convinced that I never want to deal with Marriott rewards again. Three transactions this year and three times they have made my travels increasingly stressful. Not what I look for in a loyalty program.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Upon reading this thread on Christmas Eve, I checked my reservation and it showed breakfast included but did not speak to the remainder, so I wrote to the hotel. They responded that nothing is included and proceeded to unilaterally amend my reservation to room only, so for those that think the hotel will provide them with anything, better document it, because they will do whatever they feel like doing.
They offered to reinstate the full board and activities for just $800/night for two of us (2840 AED). I might just hold onto the 5 night reservation until close to the cancellation deadline and let them try to fill it on 30 days notice.
With every interaction I have with Marriott rewards, I become more convinced that I never want to deal with Marriott rewards again. Three transactions this year and three times they have made my travels increasingly stressful. Not what I look for in a loyalty program.
They deserve it when they just change the reservation at will.
Just make sure you dont get caught in the "local time" issue. So you cancel it on 31 days in advance instead...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Way to go, get back at them!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
the removal of full board from point award stays really drops the value of the points

I guess all cash only for al maha stays

Interesting on how they can drastically change their policy
I wonder if Marriott pay them less for those points stays compare to old SPG
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:47 pm

One would assume so - the points price dropped by 2/3rds, by all appearances because Marriott didn’t notice the SPG hotels which were in effect above Category 7. As a result there have been various changes of policies and problems with most of them. I suspect the GMs and owners of these prestigious properties are less than impressed.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

Will the changes to all inclusive aspect of the hotel affect my reservation if I booked it in August?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:10 am

Does anyone know exactly when this change took place? And does anyone have a screenshot of the rate details? I didn't take a picture of it since I can't imagine something like this would happen. I have two reservations there for June and my Rate Details show that nothing is included but did when I booked it. Are we grandfathered in and/or what can be done about it? Otherwise I'm in the same camp as farnorthtrader and will just cancel a month out both reservations.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG, HH, UAMP, AEPL, DC
I am booked for three nights in February at the 60,000 point rate, made reservation in September when confirmation still showed full board and activities included (luckily I have the email). My plan was for a solo retreat to do some uninterrupted meditation and strategic planning. So unlike many folks, the purpose of my trip is not a romantic getaway or adventure excursion. It's to be silent in the desert. With that in mind, here is how I am approaching this latest hiccup in the Marriott/SPG merger.

1. Not going to try to confirm full board until closer to my stay. Thought being that an email from a week or two prior to my arrival will carry more weight at check-in than one from a month or two prior, given how fluid this situation seems to be.
2. I'm going to bring organized printouts of every communication regarding the terms of the reservation.
3. I'm also going to bring a bag of dry foods from Waitrose (my favorite British supermarket, all over the UAE, I wish they'd expand to the USA). I'm not going to Al Maha to gorge on gourmet food, and am perfectly content to munch on nuts and dried fruit and other non-perishable food in lieu of three elaborate meals per day. Truthfully, I'd prefer it. And if I decide to purchase a meal or two "a la carte", I'll probably enjoy them all the more for that reason.
4. If my full board is denied at check-in, I'm not going to argue at length or create a scene. I'm going to let it go, retreat to my villa, slide into my pool, gaze at the desert, watch the oryx, and be grateful that even if my 60,000 points didn't also buy me three full meals a day, it nonetheless bought me a private villa with a private pool.

Marriott is behaving like a troupe of dysfunctional asshats, but only I get to decide who disturbs my serenity, and after a certain point they simply don't deserve my time or attention. Karma has a long reach :-)
TerryK, MilesTalk, imverge and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:45 am

They don’t seem to be charging for the “afternoon tea” which is a mix of drinks, sweets and savoury food. I can totally see this being swamped by people on points bookings and destroying the experience for everyone else. Let’s hope Al Maha don’t make that error.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by dsanok
Does anyone know exactly when this change took place? And does anyone have a screenshot of the rate details? I didn't take a picture of it since I can't imagine something like this would happen. I have two reservations there for June and my Rate Details show that nothing is included but did when I booked it. Are we grandfathered in and/or what can be done about it? Otherwise I'm in the same camp as farnorthtrader and will just cancel a month out both reservations.
The change took place when the property was moved over to the Marriott booking system MARSHA which happened on Dec. 11th.

Here is a screenshot of my reservation rate details which was made prior to the above change.

margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by imverge; Dec 27, 2018 at 10:11 am Reason: added screen shot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.