Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Rhodes, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Rhodes, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
​​​​​​I definitely considered that but no. The security guard could just have asked the front desk to charge my card while I waited at the gate but no, they asked me to go back there and handed me a receipt already printed. Nothing else was required from me other than showing up.
Did you consider that if there was a fraud issue they could prove that you were at the front desk this way? Do you really think the security guard at the front gate has the authority to get the front desk to charge your credit card? Carrying this further...why not ask housekeeping to call the front desk to run your credit card? I don't understand what the big deal is...yes it was an inconvenience but I think worse things can happen in life than being asked to return to the front desk to actually check out in person....and you made your flight so all is good.
TerryK and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by christianj
Did you consider that if there was a fraud issue they could prove that you were at the front desk this way? Do you really think the security guard at the front gate has the authority to get the front desk to charge your credit card? Carrying this further...why not ask housekeeping to call the front desk to run your credit card? I don't understand what the big deal is...yes it was an inconvenience but I think worse things can happen in life than being asked to return to the front desk to actually check out in person....and you made your flight so all is good.
How is check out in person prove or disapprove anything? They only gave me a POS slip. I didn't sign anything. I would perhaps understand more if they sighted my credit card again or had me PIN the machine.

If you are referring to CCTV footage, well they got that when I checked in. I know it's not a big deal but you probably would feel differently when your flight is departing in 45 mins in this summer rush.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
How is check out in person prove or disapprove anything? They only gave me a POS slip. I didn't sign anything. I would perhaps understand more if they sighted my credit card again or had me PIN the machine.

If you are referring to CCTV footage, well they got that when I checked in. I know it's not a big deal but you probably would feel differently when your flight is departing in 45 mins in this summer rush.
Not to sound mean but it sounds like you didn't really give yourself enough time to check out, drive to the airport, return the rental car, check-in, go through security, and board your flight. I've stayed at the Sheraton in Rhodes and have done every step I just outlined in 60-90 minutes and that was on a slow day during the pandemic. 45 minutes is simply foolhardy.
TerryK, christianj and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:13 am

Time to move on an stick a fork in it and be done with it! You didn't miss your flight even though you didn't leave adequate time so no sense in debating this any longer. Not sure what your objective is in continuing to pushing this issue.....if you want the hotel to change their policy because you didn't like it....that's not going to happen.
TerryK and joakgarp like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:39 am

Made a huge mistake staying here instead of all the other islands. Definitely worth paying more to go to one of the more prominent islands that has more luxurious and newer resorts. As they say, you get what you pay for.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Ramiraw
Made a huge mistake staying here instead of all the other islands. Definitely worth paying more to go to one of the more prominent islands that has more luxurious and newer resorts. As they say, you get what you pay for.
Sorry to hear you were disappointed but did you not research this before deciding to going to Rhodes? I'm not an expert on Greek holidays (even though we have been there numerous times) but it is generally known that Rhodes is more of a mass European package tourist destination. There are likely more luxurious options on Rhodes but they are going to not be in the areas with mass tourism. It's kind of like booking a trip to Mallorca and staying in El Arenal vs staying on the other side of the island.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:50 am

Sorry to hear you were disappointed but did you not research this before deciding to going to Rhodes? I'm not an expert on Greek holidays (even though we have been there numerous times) but it is generally known that Rhodes is more of a mass European package tourist destination. There are likely more luxurious options on Rhodes but they are going to not be in the areas with mass tourism. It's kind of like booking a trip to Mallorca and staying in El Arenal vs staying on the other side of the island.
i agree. I definitely didn’t do enough research. I assumed most of the Greek islands would be similar and there was minimal availability in other Starwood/Marriott properties.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:11 am

I mean Rhodes is no Santorini or Mikonos but I really enjoyed the history there and I think it's a very cute island with some amazing food and views of the Aegan. Researching a little bit beforehand helps a lot but I can understand your disappointment if you had high expectations after visiting Mikonos or Santorini.
christianj likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I mean Rhodes is no Santorini or Mikonos
I agree, it's way better in that it offers an actual Greek island experience and not a carefully curated overpriced overcrowded Instagram hell.

For a further upgrade I suggest Crete, Milos and Naxos.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
I agree, it's way better in that it offers an actual Greek island experience and not a carefully curated overpriced overcrowded Instagram hell.

I loved Crete and Naxos... I'd also throw in Sifnos & Paxos as well.
gojko88 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88

i was in vedema Santorini a couple days ago and hated it. I’m in mystique now and it’s amazing. Will be in domes of Elounda and blue palace Crete next week. Hopefully it’s cool. Will be my first time
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:06 pm

i was in vedema Santorini a couple days ago and hated it. I’m in mystique now and it’s amazing. Will be in domes of Elounda and blue palace Crete next week. Hopefully it’s cool. Will be my first time
Thats a lot of hopping around. Trying to get in every Marriott Group hotel on one trip? How long are you staying at each? We’ve done all but Vedema but not on one trip. Why would you do BP and DoE on one trip when they are essentially next to each other?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I much preferred Rhodes to Santorini and thought the Sheraton was great for the price. Domes of Elounda is my favorite though- amazing property on a great island.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:56 pm

Thats a lot of hopping around. Trying to get in every Marriott Group hotel on one trip? How long are you staying at each? We’ve done all but Vedema but not on one trip. Why would you do BP and DoE on one trip when they are essentially next to each other?
2 nights vedema
5 nights mystique
3 nights domes Elounda
2 nights blue palace
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Domes of Elounda is my favorite though- amazing property on a great island.
+1 and the reason we’ve stayed there twice. MUCH better than the Blue Palace and significantly better elite treatment. We can’t wait to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.