Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I came across this as I'm writing a few negative SPG things and in my attempt to balance things out I must say that I've always had a great stay here. Rooms are small but it's a downtown historic rehab... Rooms have always been clean and well finished, never worn. Location is good for downtown. Staff has ways been great. I must admit I don't think I've ever been upgraded as a Plat when I stayed there I can't complain about the rooms and the size. The same group that did this hotel did the Tampa Meridien which is Amazing.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've stayed numerous times at this property with my tour groups. As group leader and SPG Plat/Pro, I've always been upgraded to a spacious suite with a nice sized bath looking out onto the street above the entry--usually on floors 5 and 6, and never had street noise issues, surprisingly. The regular rooms are IMO pretty decently sized, especially those with 2 full beds.

The location is superb. The restaurant is top drawer--one of the best in the LM line-up IMO. We've eaten at the bar and at a table in the restaurant space, and have had great food and service at both.

The biggest weakness has been air con--it isn't always very efficient at cooling the suites, perhaps because it's an older building originally. Otherwise, it's among my favorite properties in the city.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just had a recent stay here at the end of June. I had originally booked the Westin, but just a month or so before my stay, I noticed that the Le Meridien was $45 cheaper, so I switched my reservation.

I agree with the positive comments about this hotel - it's very nice and the location is excellent. I took the train from PHL to Suburban Station, and it was only about a 5-10 minute walk to the hotel. I also walked to the subway station to get to the tourist sites (e.g. Independence Hall), so it was very convenient.

I only stayed one night on a layover. As a gold member, they upgraded me to a superior suite and gave me late check out of 4:00 p.m. for the next day.

I did find it a bit weird to walk through the bar area before getting to the registration desk. I arrived late in the evening, sweaty and tired, to walk into the bar area with a full party in progress with everyone in formal attire.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escog
I did find it a bit weird to walk through the bar area before getting to the registration desk. I arrived late in the evening, sweaty and tired, to walk into the bar area with a full party in progress with everyone in formal attire.
IME if you take a hard left as you come through the door, you're not really walking "through" the bar area...it just happens to be the centerpiece of the lobby (which IMO is quite great).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here 2 years ago for the US Open (golf) in Merion. As others have stated, the train station is close and goes everywhere- airport included. I also was upgraded to a suite, and found it clean, updated and nicely appointed. Breakfast was very good, and we did not eat there at night. My wife wants to return for the Philadelphia Flower Show in March. Can you spell Chrysanthemum?@:-)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just finished another quick one night stay at the Le Meridien Philly and I really want to love this hotel but their actions in playing games with the Platinum upgrade rules REALLY piss me off!

Checked in and was told I was upgraded to a Superior room. Fine...is that the best Platinum upgrade you have? Yes! Go up to room and look on the iPhone app only to find out numerous different suites are available for sale. Call down and am told that I got an upgrade to a Superior Room and that is all they have. When I question the suites for sale I am told that must be a mistake. I ask her if she wants me to book it and then come down to get the room from her and she back tracks and says she doesn't know why they are showing up online. Ask to speak to the front desk manager who says the reason I was not given a suite is because the suites were not cleaned at the time of my check-in. (Any Platinum knows this is the standard response you get when they have been caught gaming the system!) When I ask why I wasn't offered the option of waiting for a cleaned suite she doesn't have an answer for me. Says if I want to move she will get me one. I had already unpacked and I needed to go out to a meeting so I didn't have time to move by this time. Attitude of the front desk manager was rude because she knew they had lied about the upgrade.

Why do hotels continue to get away with this? There is even a review on the Starwood website page for this hotel from another Platinum member complaining about the hotel gaming the system. They will continue to do it if there are no consequences for them.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Stayed over the Memorial Day weekend and a few observations. Check-in went very smoothly, was recognized as Platinum and offered the usual points or breakfast, went with breakfast. Before I checked in, I looked online at their inventory and the hotel was completely sold out, so no upgrade given, maybe to a better view/higher floor. The front desk associate asked why we were there, anniversary, and congratulated us and gave us two free drink tickets. Lobby was nice with a bar that was typically busy.

Room:
Decent size room. Had a great view of city hall and faced the main street. Did not have much traffic noise. The room did smell a bit like oats, so every time the air kicked on, that is all we could smell. Bathroom was nice and modern with only a shower (I dislike bathtub showers). The downside, which I find is a common one, is that the doors do not shut completely or are badly designed and so water leaks out onto the floor or in this case, towel. The towel at the foot of the shower would be completely soaked after a shower.

I did try and utilize the Make a Green choice but I did not receive and cards during my stay and forgot to mention this at checkout, so far no points. All staff was friendly and the breakfast buffet was decent. Redding Terminal is a couple blocks down, I would prefer to go there for breakfast but free is free.

Right in the middle between the museums and historic sights. It was roughly a 10-20 minute walk to get to either or a $5 uber.

I would stay here again, but I think I would give the Westin a shot first as it seems the reviews for that are better.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What is the Platinum breakfast at this property?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: SK Gold
I am trying to decide between Le Meridien and the Ritz-Carlton for an upcoming stay. The reports on the RC that I have read here haven't been all positive, but supposedly there has been a recent renovation of the whole place? As a platinum member which hotel should I shoot for? Thank you for any input!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Travel4Love
I am trying to decide between Le Meridien and the Ritz-Carlton for an upcoming stay. The reports on the RC that I have read here haven't been all positive, but supposedly there has been a recent renovation of the whole place? As a platinum member which hotel should I shoot for? Thank you for any input!
Can't comment on the comparison between the LeM and RC but I do like the LeM and I think it has a very good restaurant. Platinum benefits at the hotel have been non-existent for me! (looks like I posted about the issue in Post #96 above but I have been back since and didn't get upgraded either) I have never gotten a suite and sadly for this reason I don't expect one. I will be at the hotel tomorrow night for a quick one night stay so I will report back if the unthinkable happens and I actually get an upgrade.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: SK Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by christianj
Can't comment on the comparison between the LeM and RC but I do like the LeM and I think it has a very good restaurant. Platinum benefits at the hotel have been non-existent for me! I have never gotten a suite and sadly for this reason I don't expect one. I will be at the hotel tomorrow night for a quick one night stay so I will report back if the unthinkable happens and I actually get an upgrade.
Danke @christianj. Rooting for you tomorrow.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Danke @christianj. Rooting for you tomorrow.
Have you been to the LM before? It is one of my favorite US Starwoods anywhere, such a cool rehab & re-design of an old YMCA. Lobby bar & restaurant are all great.

Can't speak to the RC, but the LM worth a visit if never been. And I have gotten a suite before BTW
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:27 am

The RC isn't as good as other RCs that I've stayed at, but given the option and similar price-points, I would opt for the Ritz - it's more luxurious and the restaurant/bar area is quite grand. That being said, LeM is better for getting upgrades in general; I've never had that drastic of an upgrade the times that I've stayed at the Ritz. I tend to opt for the Westin these days just because I don't need all of the amenities of the Ritz.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:24 am

Sadly this hotel continues to play games with the Platinum upgrades!

For my stay last week I had been upgraded to a Superior Room before the arrival. On my way to the hotel I got on the app and saw that there were standard suites available for purchase. The agent that checked me in made a big deal that "You have been upgraded from your originally booked room to a Superior Room as a Starwood Platinum guest." I said "thanks but are there no suites available?" She managed to tell me that the Superior was an upgrade and that was all they had until I said that this was always the situation at the hotel when I stayed there in the past. I told her that I had NEVER gotten a suite and asked why they didn't honor the program rules if suites were available. I got the standard....the suites that are showing as available online have been allocated to other guests....well that is nice so why are they for sale? Evidently the manager working the check-in desk overheard and she got involved...again some story of if they can sell the suites then they don't give them as upgrades...well that's not what the rules of the program are! Anyway she reluctantly gave me a suite but continued to hold steadfast to the excuse that "they do their very best to upgrade Platinum guests to suites" even though they had just flat out lied to me and made up a story.

Later that evening I got an email from the Assistant General Manager and from the text of the email he was clearly misinformed of what happened. I explained to him exactly what happened in my reply and he then apologized for the situation. In the end I got suite but only after making a big stink which should not have been necessary if they just followed the program rules. Sadly as much as I like the hotel I likely will try the aloft next time I need to be in the city.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 18, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by christianj
Sadly as much as I like the hotel I likely will try the aloft next time I need to be in the city.
Ummm... you probably aren't going to get much of a suite at the Aloft. I wouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face...

Regards
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.