Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Any recent reports? How would this compare to Sheraton Society Hill for a weekend stay for a platinum?
LOVE this property. Really nice design, good lobby bar. Haven't done Plat breakfast so can't speak to it. Nice central location.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat(100), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Avis First, United Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
LOVE this property. Really nice design, good lobby bar. Haven't done Plat breakfast so can't speak to it. Nice central location.
I'm travelling in Philly area for 1,5 year and this is my ranking (total of 70 nights Philly Downtown, 95 nights in Mount Laurel, Airport, King of Prussia)
1. Le Meridien
2. Westin
3. Sheraton Society Hill
4. Sherato Downtown
5. Four Points

At Le Meridien I have approx 90% of the time an upgrade to a suite, once got the family 2 brm suite.
Plat breakfast is great, yoghurt, fresh fruit, bread, granola, juice, coffee.
Whenever the rate is acceptable, I stay at Le Meridien, otherwise the Sheraton. Westin is too expensive for what you get.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Hit and Miss

Just spent four nights here. My summary is I'd go back to the Westin to stay but walk over the LM for the restaurant and bar.

No plat upgrade or even recognition at check-in. Like most hotels, they had the gold/plat check-in sign up but nobody behind it. Two big weddings while I was there made any interaction with the front desk painful although most everyone that works behind the front desk is quite nice. Room was a bit on the older side and the tv was placed such that you can't see it when in bed. (Other than maybe a small town Holiday Inn Express, I can't ever remember staying somewhere and not watching the tv in bed.) Service was a bit spotty. Sometimes the person at the service desk was on top of things and sometimes I had to call back or help them help me. Two days I got a paper and two days I did not. Evening housekeeping sometimes brought fresh towels, sometimes not; sometimes took used towels away, sometimes not; sometimes removed trash, sometimes not. It's a cool physical property but I wouldn't want to stay four nights again. One night would be fine. But the cocktail list in the lobby bar is cool and the food in the restaurant quite good.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Just spent four nights here. My summary is I'd go back to the Westin to stay but walk over the LM for the restaurant and bar.

No plat upgrade or even recognition at check-in. Like most hotels, they had the gold/plat check-in sign up but nobody behind it. Two big weddings while I was there made any interaction with the front desk painful although most everyone that works behind the front desk is quite nice. Room was a bit on the older side and the tv was placed such that you can't see it when in bed. (Other than maybe a small town Holiday Inn Express, I can't ever remember staying somewhere and not watching the tv in bed.) Service was a bit spotty. Sometimes the person at the service desk was on top of things and sometimes I had to call back or help them help me. Two days I got a paper and two days I did not. Evening housekeeping sometimes brought fresh towels, sometimes not; sometimes took used towels away, sometimes not; sometimes removed trash, sometimes not. It's a cool physical property but I wouldn't want to stay four nights again. One night would be fine. But the cocktail list in the lobby bar is cool and the food in the restaurant quite good.
Interesting. I've never stayed at this property, but was planning to on my next trip to Philly.

One thing I dont understand is the highlighted text. The property has been open just over three years. Can you explain what you mean when you describe the room as "older"?

I've been in a regular guest room (a non elite friend stayed there), Amuse lobby bar and the clerestory/atrium. Both those areas look nice and inviting.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Interesting. I've never stayed at this property, but was planning to on my next trip to Philly.

One thing I dont understand is the highlighted text. The property has been open just over three years. Can you explain what you mean when you describe the room as "older"?

I've been in a regular guest room (a non elite friend stayed there), Amuse lobby bar and the clerestory/atrium. Both those areas look nice and inviting.
On the contrary - I love the rooms there (I'm a fan of the LM aesthetic, what can I say), and they still feel pretty new to me! This was an old Y pre-conversion of course, but I thought they did a great job.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
On the contrary - I love the rooms there (I'm a fan of the LM aesthetic, what can I say), and they still feel pretty new to me! This was an old Y pre-conversion of course, but I thought they did a great job.
Thats why I want clarity. I know Philly is rough, but I find it hard to believe this property has aged that bad.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
I find it hard to believe this property has aged that bad.
I would also echo this - go stay at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown and you'll know what an aged hotel is. The Le Meridien is far and away better.

There is one room per floor that is right by the elevator that the bed is around the corner to the right - and the tv is perpendicular to the bed off to the left where it is impossible to see it while in bed. They should have mounted it on the wall straight ahead between the windows.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004
I would also echo this - go stay at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown and you'll know what an aged hotel is. The Le Meridien is far and away better.

There is one room per floor that is right by the elevator that the bed is around the corner to the right - and the tv is perpendicular to the bed off to the left where it is impossible to see it while in bed. They should have mounted it on the wall straight ahead between the windows.
I made the mistake of staying at the Sheraton ONCE. The gym and pool look like something right out American Horror Story or The Shining!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select

Apologies! Didn't mean to imply old as in run down. I meant more old as in doors with big gaps at the bottom that let in a lot of hallway noise, big old windows that have been painted shut, etc. It's not run-down in the least.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:25 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Apologies! Didn't mean to imply old as in run down. I meant more old as in doors with big gaps at the bottom that let in a lot of hallway noise, big old windows that have been painted shut, etc. It's not run-down in the least.
OH OK. Although I don't understand how the amount of space between the bottom of the door and the threshold considered "old". I'm not trying to be difficult, but really trying to understand what you've written in your posts. When I don't understand something I ask a lot of questions, so I can fully understand what a person(s) is trying to convey.
  1. Are you aware if other rooms have "large gaps"?
  2. Windows painted shut? I the guest rooms or on the property in general?

I know in some US cities there are laws the prevent the windows from opening unless their is a device in place to prevent a person(s)/item(s) from falling out. IIRC, this is a Philadelphia historic property, so maybe they can't change the (original) architecture integrity of the windows, so they are sealed?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
You guys sure pay close attention to detail! I don't remember if there were "large gaps" at the bottom of the doors but I do remember that you couldn't open the windows. From the LM website, it says that this used to be a YMCA.

Looking back at the hotels I've stayed at so far this year, the LM Philly is easily one of my favorites. I really liked the atrium and the modern feel. I've also stayed at the two Hyatts in Philly and this one is definitely my favorite (although the Hyatt at the Bellevue provided access to the Sporting Club, which was very nice). I haven't stayed at the Westin and would only stay there if the rate was cheaper than the LM.

Here are some pictures that I took back in March. This is just a standard two double bed room. Note that the flat screen TV is angled so it can be problematic watching the TV from one of the beds.

Room

Bathroom (accessible)

Atrium
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Offhand: Large door gaps are for air handling in some hotels, fire systems in others.

As for teh hotel:

A dozen stays at least. Great rooms, but if you want guaranteed quiet, ask for a room not facing Race Street, it can get rowdy on the weekend. Room sizes are excellent, bar is a great value for PA generally among the most expensive booze towns. The Bistro does good breakfast at a fair price and fine bistro food.

Biggest negative for me is valet, but that is a personal dislike.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:01 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I went back to my pics from a stay back in 2010 at this property and found this:

So the gap, while not small, isn't as large as in many other hotels that I have stayed in...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just checked in tonight. Physical property is beautiful. Really fits my eye. Location is great, and I have a nice view, even if it's blocked a bit...room 941.

When I checked in the front desk worker talked so softly, I had to hover over the desk and keep asking him to repeat himself...and my hearing is excellent! ;-)

Got no platinum recognition whatsoever.

Room is nice, but the desk and chair are very uncomfortable, and unfortunately, I have about 5 hours of desk time planned before my afternoon meeting...ugh!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
Funny how many different perspectives you can about the same hotel. I stayed there two summers ago with my wife and daughter. They acknowledged my Platinum status and gave me a one bedroom suite facing City Hall. Great, updated rooms and stylish lobby and bar, Amuse. Parking has been an issue for many guests, but was not a big deal for me. Good location and friendly, helpful staff. Hope this is helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.