Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Marriott near DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I stayed at the Marriott South and North both last week. The shuttles run ~30 minutes from either hotel, and no reservations are taken at either; first come first serve. I've found them to be consistently reliable, especially at the North.

CL hours at North are, IIRC, Monday morning - Friday morning 6-9ish, and Monday night - Thurs night 5:30 pm - 10 pm. Desserts are usually out at 8. Some minor snacks prior to that. Alcohol is honor bar.

The North CL is not open on the weekends at all, even Sunday nights, and nothing is offered to make up for it. It's really a basic offering all the way around. They do the minimum required.

I find the rooms at North to be comfortable, if not a bit dated at this point, with older HD flatscreens, beds and furniture that are starting to show wear, etc.

I much prefer the Marriott Las Colinas when given the opportunity.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dartagnan
I much prefer the Marriott Las Colinas when given the opportunity.
I stayed here recently on a short notice weekend trip and was very satisfied. It is convenient to Rte 114 and is in an office park type of area which also includes the Irving Convention Center at Las Colinas.

The hotel was not very busy on this weekend. It is directly adjacent to a residential complex but you don't have to compete with them for parking as they appear to have their own gated lot. There is a large parking garage connected to the hotel as well as a small number of ground level spots.

I was given a King balcony room on the Concierge level (15th floor). The room was clean and quiet and included a mini-fridge. Of course, the CL was closed for the weekend. I was not going to be having breakfast and did not ask for coupons, but they were not offered at check-in. This could have been due to some commotion at the front desk as another guest was having a DYKWIA moment when I arrived.

There are limited dining and shopping areas immediately next to the hotel but if you go just on the other side of the highway, on "N O'Connor Blvd," there is a gas station as well as a few fast food places including a Corner Bakery and pizza place.

This hotel is SW of the airport making it very convenient to the DFW consolidated rental car facility.

I posted the view of sunrise from my room in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...otel-room.html
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:54 pm

Marriott Las Colinas

This is a standard suburban FS-lite Marrioott (it there is classification like that)

Nothing nearby but convenient to highways with easy free parking.

Rooms are as expected with good lake view (for that half of the building)

Most recent experience was not that great

- upon arrival, fromt desk was deserted and after 10 minutes had to get person from the bar go and fetch a desk clerk

- lobby area was overflowing with kids running around in wet swim wear

- room given was next to elevator which was making a lot of loud noise. Upon enquiring, front-desk stated that they are aware of the problem and they shutdown that elevator between midnight and 6 am (!!)

- Breakfast was ok (most items from the menu were "not available today")

Not a bad property but next time, would certainly try somewhere else.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
A few months ago, the DFW North property would have been perfect for many reasons, but, because it was a last minute thing, our corporate rate wasn't available. The FFI literally across the street was about a third the price, and it was one of those in-the-room-for-eight-hours-sleep-only things. How bad could it be? The answer is not bad at all. It's a newer property. The shuttle was at the airport pretty quickly. The staff was excellent. I'd stay here again without hesitation.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update on the FFI.

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Stayed at the new CY DFW North/Grapevine.

Had that new CY decor which I'm not sure if I like, but very spacious room and everything right where you need it. Staff was very courteous through their training.

Didn't take the shuttle as I had a rental.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by CJKatl
A few months ago, the DFW North property would have been perfect for many reasons, but, because it was a last minute thing, our corporate rate wasn't available. The FFI literally across the street was about a third the price, and it was one of those in-the-room-for-eight-hours-sleep-only things. How bad could it be? The answer is not bad at all. It's a newer property. The shuttle was at the airport pretty quickly. The staff was excellent. I'd stay here again without hesitation.
I think you're referring to the FI @ 630 W John Carpenter Fwy?

I've stayed at the FI @ 4800 W John Carpenter Fwy a few times. Place is fine, staff is very nice. However, the lobby area & front door look a bit run down.. definitely not one of the newer properties. However, my corp rate there is <$90 and the shuttle is always on-time, so I stay there. Not a bad option for a night before an early flight.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I think you're referring to the FI @ 630 W John Carpenter Fwy?

I've stayed at the FI @ 4800 W John Carpenter Fwy a few times. Place is fine, staff is very nice. However, the lobby area & front door look a bit run down.. definitely not one of the newer properties. However, my corp rate there is <$90 and the shuttle is always on-time, so I stay there. Not a bad option for a night before an early flight.
That would be the one. It is "newer" as compared to the old-school first generation FIs. It's not the newest generation, by a long shot. I won't stay in the oldest ones, but am fine with the last couple of FI styles. Sorry for the confusion.

Our rate was about the same as yours, while the FS was well north of $200.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by desi
This is a standard suburban FS-lite Marrioott (it there is classification like that)

Nothing nearby but convenient to highways with easy free parking.

Rooms are as expected with good lake view (for that half of the building)

Most recent experience was not that great

- upon arrival, fromt desk was deserted and after 10 minutes had to get person from the bar go and fetch a desk clerk

- lobby area was overflowing with kids running around in wet swim wear

- room given was next to elevator which was making a lot of loud noise. Upon enquiring, front-desk stated that they are aware of the problem and they shutdown that elevator between midnight and 6 am (!!)

- Breakfast was ok (most items from the menu were "not available today")

Not a bad property but next time, would certainly try somewhere else.
+1 My last 2 stays here were subpar. Actually has driven me to move my DFW business to SPG. FD personnel are not very friendly or proactive. Specifically, they were not very helpful when my client plans changed and I needed to extend my stay--they declined and would not honor plat guarantee and not helpful in finding alternate property. I found bugs in my towels (not a pleasant surprise when you're stepping out of the shower). The positive is that the lounge attendant is one of the friendliest and most attentive employees I've encountered across all Marriott properties. Free parking is also a plus. I have not encountered these issues at Westin DFW.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Stayed at the DFW North over Thanksgiving and the above descriptions are accurate - dated property that has been renoed but still is very dated. Since the lounge was closed had breakfast in the rest. which was quite good. The only hassle was getting to the hotel. With all the construction the GPS in the car was useless.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: MR Plat.
If a bit of a drive is not too much of a problem, the Marriott Solana is a charming choice. With the shuttle bus it is about 20 minutes away from the airport.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Any updates? Would like to be North of DFW in Grapevine. Gaylord vs RI vs TS vs CY? Family of 4, will be renting a car.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Former regular at DFW North

I now stay at the Los Colinas instead of DFW north. Since the hotel in not in the direct flight path (takeoff or landings) it is quiet as compared to the North. While staying at the North I tried all sides and all levels and found that the lower floors did not get as much aircraft noise, but I also thought these rooms were even less updated that the upper floors. Since I am always looking for quiet I never get a room on the concierge floor intentionally I can always take a elevator. My profile states far from elevators for the same reason (as well as ice makers and vending machines). If you require the shuttle stay at the North or South otherwise Los Colinas is nice. And like the North if you want dinner outside of the hotel a car will be required.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by swanscn
I now stay at the Los Colinas instead of DFW north. Since the hotel in not in the direct flight path (takeoff or landings) it is quiet as compared to the North. While staying at the North I tried all sides and all levels and found that the lower floors did not get as much aircraft noise, but I also thought these rooms were even less updated that the upper floors. Since I am always looking for quiet I never get a room on the concierge floor intentionally I can always take a elevator. My profile states far from elevators for the same reason (as well as ice makers and vending machines). If you require the shuttle stay at the North or South otherwise Los Colinas is nice. And like the North if you want dinner outside of the hotel a car will be required.
During the night, the noise isn't bad at DFW North, but during the day, the upper floors are unfortunately fairly noisy due to the proximity of the highway. Lounge is average. Rooms are ok, nothing objectionable but nothing great either. They do have new 4K TVs though. I've spent 25 nights here in the past year and am here now.. I keep coming back here because it has the quietest HVAC out of the hotels that I've tried in the area (courtyards and the DFW Hyatt Regency)

Out of the three nearby courtyards, the north/grapevine one is by far the best.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I'll bring this question up again since SPG has merged with Marriott.

I would be willing to travel a bit if it is worth it to stay away from the airport. I am not interested in FF, CY, RI, SS.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.