Best Marriott near DFW?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott PP, IHG Rewards Plat, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite
Question Best Marriott near DFW?

Have a big company conference in Dallas next week. The conference hotel is already taken care of but I have an early AM flight on Thursday. So, I decided to grab a hotel for 1 night thats close to the airport so I can use the free shuttle.

Does anyone have a suggestion for which property close to DFW I should stay in? The FS Marriott is a little above my travel budget so I am leaning towards the Courtyard North DFW.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:18 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I heard it through the Grapevine :)

The SpringHill Suites in Grapevine is nice and close.
Plus you can enjoy good food etc.. in Grapevine.

If you want cheap, I have stayed at the FI.
It is nice and also a quick trip in.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
The Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott South, according to my friends is a good hotel with a decent CL and one that they stay at when wanting to be close to the airport.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
About 10 years ago I would stay at the FS on the North side of the airport frequently.

The only things I recall was a room up high on the airport side where I could see landings of 5 runways at once. Being coming a pilot at the time I bought a scanner and loved it. Also a decent small park across the street to run laps around. And Champion's overcooked many of my associates steak and a big fuss had to be made.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I think there might be a an existing thread on this topic.

I would recommend the Marriott DFW North. It, by far, has the best shuttle service. I know, for sure, that the CL rooms have been redone and have LCD TVs. It's a bit of a generic Marriott airport hotel but it is well managed.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:32 pm

I do not like Marriott DFW South or North, both are quite outdated
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
I do not like Marriott DFW South or North, both are quite outdated
The DFW North has undergone a major face-lift. Among the updates, the entire lobby was redone.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rthib

If you want cheap, I have stayed at the FI.
It is nice and also a quick trip in.
Funny someone should mention this....

Are you driving, or depending upon the hotel shuttle? If you are driving, the SpringHill Suites Grapevine is very clean and easy to get in and out of and close to the airport. If you are depending on the shuttle.....

Stayed there last week. Called the hotel from the airport and said I needed to be picked up. An HOUR later the shuttle showed up, with lots of excuses about not having enough drivers, having to run people to a restaurant across town, being too busy, etc.... It seems airport runs are not the priority for this hotel's shuttle. I called the hotel after waiting thirty minutes, and again at the 45 minute mark and kept getting hollow promises that shuttle was on the way. (Desk clerk's name begins with a V.)

My flight had been delayed, it was after eleven, I had to get up before six in the morning and needed to do an hour's work before going to sleep. Needless to say, I was not happy. The hotel offered to comp my room or give me points, but I couldn't see how that would get me back my lost hour's sleep.

OP - If you do want to stay there and you do want to make sure you don't have any trouble with the shuttle, PM me and I can provide you with the manager's name who promised me this has been taken care of! I'd stay at the CY across the street. You're still walking distance from many eateries and their shuttle actually picked up at least two people while I was waiting for the SpringHill Suites driver.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Marriott North. The lobby was new and the staff was great. They offer 24 hour service to the airport, I had a 6:00am and they were ready to roll at 4:30, the ride took 5 minutes. The rooms were old but they had all the amenities.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:03 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by 4getofn
I stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Marriott North. The lobby was new and the staff was great. They offer 24 hour service to the airport, I had a 6:00am and they were ready to roll at 4:30, the ride took 5 minutes. The rooms were old but they had all the amenities.
Your response is intriguing as dayone's post seems to indicate that all of the concierge level rooms at this property have been renovated (which I am not disputing as I have not stayed here) but by your post, you received an unrenovated room, even as a PP.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Sorry to be confusing ... What I meant by "all the amenities" was flat screen TV and new bedding and carpet what I meant by old was basically everything else, bathroom etc ... Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my stay but you can tell, even thru a remodel that the "physical plant" was old.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rthib
I gave this property a second chance. The hotel is clean and as good as any SHS, the front desk staff is very nice, but my experience with the shuttle went from very bad the last time to inexcusable and scary this time. Do not stay at this hotel if you need to take the shuttle.

This time, I called ahead of time and was told the shuttle would be running and airport pickups were the priority. When I arrived, I called and gave them my gate number. The hotel instructed me to walk to the Continental pick-up point, rather than the Delta pick-up. Number-wise, it seems like the closer gate, but it is quite a hike as Gates 16 and 17 are actually in different buildings. While walking there, the shuttle passed me. I tried to wave him down, but he pulled ahead. I ran to the shuttle to make sure he wouldn't leave.

Once my luggage and I were in the shuttle, I asked why they sent me to the Continental pick-up, rather than the Delta. This had happened both this time and last time. My thought was that they didn't realize the Delta flights were all in a different terminal and/or had it written down incorrectly somewhere. I thought I was being nice in pointing this out. Every other hotel shuttle picks up Delta passengers at Gate 10, in the Delta area.

It turned out this was the same shuttle driver from last time. He EXPLODED on me. He leaned over the seat, spit flying, and yelled "I am only a driver. I'm not a terrorist. I am in this country legally. I am a citizen. I have two children." I don't know where this came from. None of these were topics I brought up. I only brought up the pick-up point.

At this point, I got scared, so I hit redial on my phone and just turned it towards the driver so the desk clerk could hear. After about five seconds - she later told me she was confused but wondered why she was listening to a man going viral - I quietly said to her that this is how the shuttle driver was yelling at me and I needed to get off the shuttle. She stayed on the phone with me as I told the driver that I needed to get off the shuttle. I opened the door, started to get out of the van, AND HE STARTED TO DRIVE AWAY. I leaned back into the van and again told him I did not feel comfortable and needed to get out of the van. This time he got out of his side of the van, went to the back, took out my suitcase, dumped it on the ground and drove off.

The front desk clerk stayed with me on the phone while she called the manager to pick me up.

The manager came and picked me up. I'm calm now, but this man should not be driving a van. As long as there is any chance that he would be picking guests up from the airport, I would avoid staying here if you need to take the shuttle from the airport.

I have played this over in my head several times and cannot figure out where he could have possibly interpreted anything I said to have brought up terrorism, immigration status, citizenship, his children or to have enraged this man.

Possibly it had to do with the last time, when the driver chose to drive people across town to a far away restaurant knowing that I was at the airport. I complained and the hotel assured me that the driver now understood that the airport runs were priority. Perhaps this cut off lucrative tips for him. Whatever the cause, there is never a good reason for the shuttle driver to yell to the point of spit flying or to drive off when a passenger says he is getting off the shuttle.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 5, 2010 at 8:16 pm
Old May 5, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
Sweet $Deity.

(I'd rather have Bill Murray's character in "Stripes" for my shuttle driver...)
Old May 5, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: MR, AADV PLAT, HH
There is a decent amount of construction now on the north side of DFW - so traffic could get unpredictable. The Marriott South opened about 5 years ago? There are a few restaurants and a starbucks within a 3 minute walk.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Are there any updates on the DFW Marriott North and DFW Marriott South properties?

Is the airport shuttle reliable at both properties? How often do the airport shuttles run? What are the CL hours at the Marriott North (Mon-Thur)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.