Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by LLM
Mint woke me up the other day trying to tell me about the bulk program - said she will mail forms. Quote: "we were talking about you and realized you are not in our bulk program."

I tried to pay San Diego prop taxes with coins, no go; while they do take coins, they have to count and reroll them and "don't have dollar coin wrappers" although they may by the time the April installment is due. Local IRS office per website "accepts cash payments - exact change required" but doesn't accept live phone calls. I may make a field trip there next week with some coins .
OK, so let them count them. What they do with them after that point is their problem. They don't have a choice, you owe a debt, the coins are legal tender. So tender them. They are free to unroll them, not unroll them, pack them in pickle jars or glue them to the walls.

If they don't like it, tough.

===============================

Man Pays $21K Property Taxes In Coins
Frank Alford Says It's His Way Of Protesting Higher Taxes

Posted: 6:41 pm EST December 18, 2008
NEW ALBANY, Ind. -- A Floyd County man showed up at the city-county building in New Albany to pay his property taxes with more than $21,000 in coins.

Frank Alford, who owns several single-family rental homes, said it's his way of protesting higher taxes, reported WLKY-TV in Louisville, Ky.

When he walked into the Floyd County treasurer's office Thursday morning, a deputy clerk immediately recognized Alford because last year, he paid his taxes with dollar bills.

Alford loaded a garbage can with $21,333 in Susan B. Anthony dollar coins, and he carried a sign that read, "Property taxes gone wild."

"I'm letting them know I'm a very unhappy taxpayer," he said.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:58 pm

The issue with the self-checkout registers is that once the amount inserted goes over the purchase amount, it immediately makes change on any overage. So the maximum change you can get is 1 cent less than the last unit of currency you insert. If you're using $1 coins, that's 99c.

They do make change in paper (usually $1 and $5 bills), but unless you're inserting a $5 or larger you won't have enough change to need paper bills.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by swintec
How is that going to be good for anyone by doing that? 100's of thousands of people from here and beyond in other forums will start filing the forms just because and then there will be yet another issue that will have to be dealt with. Based on other posts, the mint is calling those who fit the bill...why can't it be left at that?

It also sounds like the bulk program anyways which does not allow credit card as payments (if its the same as last year).
Excuse me, don't you belong on Fat Wallet? You signed into the wrong forum.

So let me get this right, you want to stifle education and keep people from knowing anything about it. Lets just wait until the forms arrive before passing any judgement on what the bulk program is or isn't.

By the way, I have no intrest in the bulk program just thought people would like to know. And I have no intrest on ordering any more coins. Too much trouble for too little payoff.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Well, I just placed my first order for $2,000.

And yes, I'm going to try and milk this for all the AMEX MR points I possibly can.

Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:44 pm

amex?

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Well, I just placed my first order for $2,000.

And yes, I'm going to try and milk this for all the AMEX MR points I possibly can.

The mint deal works for AMEX? I thought I was following this thread all along and read AMEX is a no-go.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by learningtime
The mint deal works for AMEX? I thought I was following this thread all along and read AMEX is a no-go.
From what I understand, reading through much of this thread, if you're doing it every month, it will be a problem. If its random orders / random amounts, I think most people are reporting success
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:52 pm

hmm...thanks!

Originally Posted by rajuabju
From what I understand, reading through much of this thread, if you're doing it every month, it will be a problem. If its random orders / random amounts, I think most people are reporting success
Thanks! Now how do I pass this up? This deal is such a hassle compared to the AA churn or bank funding. Although none of those deals work with AMEX. I'll report back if I do this and have success.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:58 pm

Thanks! Now how do I pass this up? This deal is such a hassle compared to the AA churn or bank funding. Although none of those deals work with AMEX. I'll report back if I do this and have success.
Well, dont take my word for it or anything.

I'm going to try it with this first purchase... if it works, super, if not, on to the next thing!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I believe you confuse Mint deal with Amex Traveler's Check deal (or other funding bank accounts threads).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:12 pm

yes

Originally Posted by lin821
I believe you confuse Mint deal with Amex Traveler's Check deal (or other funding bank accounts threads).
Probably right. BTW, I checked with my credit union on whether they could issue travelers checks using a CC (since they don't charge a fee to issue TCs). Yes, BUT, it will be treated as a cash purchase. No, thank you!

We tried now, didn't we?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Yes, I've charged Presidential Dollars to my AMEX Blue.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by dweick
OK, so let them count them.
While one is free to pay a debt with any legal tender, including pennies, note that the recipient is also allowed to require the payer to remain present while all the coins are counted. This is ostensibly for the safety of the payer, so that there is a witness to the amount paid (otherwise the lender/merchant could easily state that the amount received was less than actually tendered), but in practice this can be a major hassle for the payer...

I'm neither encouraging nor discouraging paying taxes (property or income) with coins, just providing a warning that the tax clerk may require the payer to remain present as every coin is counted... and there's no requirement for them to do it quickly.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sparksals
...I'm going to try another bank, but if I can just deposit the rolls, I will do that, unless I can pay my credit card at the branch that isn't the sponsor of the c/c aka BA Chase Visa paid at XYZ bank at which I have an account that is not a Chase Bank. Can I do that even for a small fee? It seems all the free bill payments are online.
I don't understand why you'd want to make a credit card payment at another bank. I am making CC payments on a CC issued by XYZ bank at the XYZ bank location. (which is not one of the CCs I'm using for the coin purchases; is that your concern?)
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
I don't understand why you'd want to make a credit card payment at another bank. I am making CC payments on a CC issued by XYZ bank at the XYZ bank location. (which is not one of the CCs I'm using for the coin purchases; is that your concern?)
No. We are using the chase BA card for the coin purchases. We do not have a Chase branch in our area to pay the bill in person with the coins. We do the majority of our banking with a well known bank for military personnel past and present and have each of their m/c, visa and amex products. We opened a local account at another bank in order to be able to deposit cash when we have it.

What I was wondering is if I could pay the Chase visa at the local bank with the coins. It is not a Chase Bank. I know before the net we could do this, but with the prominence of online bill pay, I'm not sure now.

Last edited by sparksals; Jan 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm Reason: for clarification
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sparksals
No. We are using the chase BA card for the coin purchases. We do not have a Chase branch in our area to pay the bill in person with the coins. ....
Ah, that makes sense. When I read your post, I thought you were trying to avoid the same bank - I didn't realize you didn't have a local branch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.