Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:57 pm
bdd

Originally Posted by chimmy826
Is there any vending machine out there that gives paper money back as change? I don't know of any. All I've ever received is coin. A self-checkout is essentially a fancy vending machine.
Yes... if you put a $20 bill into the self checkout at Safeway and your purchase is 5 dollars, you'll get $15 back as a 10 dollar bill and a 5 dollar bill... so I was hoping .... that if I put in $100 dollars for a $1 purchase, I'd get $99 back in bills.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:01 pm
bdd

Anyway, so ways of using these coins that make them worth the mess:

-Gas purchases that are cheaper with cash. (i personally fill up at costco, so not worth it for me)
-Tipping. (i personally don't tip using cash... so not worth it for me)

... sigh. I've had these coins for over a week. it's no longer immediate..maybe i will deposit the rest to the bank. (at least i don't have XX,XXX.XX! just less than 2k left, and i can do a few hundred at a time to multiple banks. sigh!)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
US Mint phone call

This morning at 0856 Pacific time I got a phone call with a caller ID from the 202 area code. I answered the call without identifing myself and the caller asked if this was Joshua Pickles?

I asked "Who is calling", she said it was the United States Mint, so I identified myself as mrpickles and she proceded to tell me that they have been reviewing my purchase of the dollar coins and wanted to know if I was a coin dealer.

She wanted to know if I knew that they have a dealer program and The US Mint would be willing to offer a 2% discount for large orders of coins. I asked what she meant by large orders and she said $5000.00. I said that I might be interested and she agreed to mail me the forms. As soon and if they do arrive I will scan the forms and post them here.

So, I was thinking if they gave a 2% discount and I used a 2% cash back card that would be basically a 4% return on the money. Not bad.

Is this another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing? Whey would they allow dealers to order large quantities and not the general public.

So for those of you wondering about last November's large coin order from Disney World, I think it would be safe to sumize that they got at least a 2% discount on the coins.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by mrpickles
She wanted to know if I knew that they have a dealer program and The US Mint would be willing to offer a 2% discount for large orders of coins. I asked what she meant by large orders and she said $5000.00. I said that I might be interested and she agreed to mail me the forms. As soon and if they do arrive I will scan the forms and post them here.
Don't be surprized if you need a tax ID number or some proof of incorporation to qualify. You may need to prove you're a business to get this deal. And of course once you do that the IRS will wonder where your corporate income tax returns are. Maybe this is their enticement to entrap you?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
Don't be surprized if you need a tax ID number or some proof of incorporation to qualify. You may need to prove you're a business to get this deal. And of course once you do that the IRS will wonder where your corporate income tax returns are. Maybe this is their enticement to entrap you?
I'm sure MrPickles has a corporation. It would be worth it to form one just for this. I have one, and am waiting patiently to see what happens here. 4% return is good. I have a feeling that they will require direct pay (as opposed to CC orders) for this deal, so it's probably only 2%.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
They're really great for tips. People remember you.
not just the tips. my cash-only pho place knows me really well!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
How is the bank going to know you're an immediate depositor? If you get the 2001s you could have been holding those rolls for 9 years. The 2009s you could have had for almost a year. The foolish ones are those who just taske the unopened boxes to the bank. Those a bank might suspect. I open the boxes and repack 22 rolls to a box. Nice thight fit, less boxes to handle, and at least I looked at them...
Why 22? I do 20, it makes the math easier.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
I took delivery of $500 that was lost in UPS for 1 month.

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL, US 01/07/2010 6:17 P.M. SAME DAY WILL CALL / A MESSAGE HAS BEEN LEFT FOR THE RECEIVER TO CALL UPS
01/07/2010 6:08 P.M. A DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST FOR THIS PACKAGE WILL BE PROCESSED / SAME DAY WILL CALL
01/07/2010 2:13 P.M. THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL, US 01/06/2010 10:33 A.M. DAMAGE INSPECTION SCHEDULED
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL, US 12/11/2009 8:38 P.M. AS REQUESTED BY THE CUSTOMER, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS / THE RECEIVER PICKED UP THE PACKAGE THAT WAS BEING HELD FOR THEM
12/11/2009 7:12 P.M. DELIVERY
12/11/2009 7:12 P.M. THE RECEIVER REQUESTED THAT UPS DELAY THIS DELIVERY
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL, US 12/08/2009 7:40 P.M. AS REQUESTED BY THE CUSTOMER, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS / CUSTOMER HAS CONFIRMED AND WILL PICK UP PACKAGES THIS EVENING
12/08/2009 9:51 A.M. AS REQUESTED BY THE CUSTOMER, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS
12/08/2009 7:56 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
12/08/2009 7:13 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ORLANDO, FL, US 12/08/2009 6:23 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/08/2009 5:57 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HAPEVILLE, GA, US 12/08/2009 4:46 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/08/2009 3:59 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LOUISVILLE, KY, US 12/08/2009 2:56 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/08/2009 1:22 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 12/07/2009 3:45 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:12 pm

Now that's just hilarious. Please ask them if they could ship the coins directly to your bank. Say its a satellite office...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:40 pm

I dont know if it was mentioned before but a person could pay their property taxes with rolled coins and not pay the 2% fee most tax entities charge (at least in TX). Sure they'd look at you funny when you put 3-5K up on the counter in gold coins but they'd have no choice but to take them!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by galveston1602
the 2% fee most tax entities charge (at least in TX).
Dallas County does not charge any fee for credit card transactions and accepts payments online.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: SWA CP, AA Gold 1mm, UA, CO
http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/inde...release&id=414

December 20, 2002

United States Mint Announces Bulk Purchase Program

WASHINGTON – The United States Mint today announced the new Bulk Purchase Program for registered purchasers. A five percent discount will be applied to all purchases of $5,000 or more of qualifying products. An additional five percent rebate will be given to those who purchase a minimum of $50,000 or more of qualifying products annually.

To become a Registered Bulk Purchaser, applicants must have worked as a full-time coin dealer for at least five years, and possess a current state resale number and business license. Registration forms can be faxed to (202) 756-6585 or mailed to the United States Mint. If registration forms are mailed, please allow an additional two to three weeks for processing. Registration forms that are mailed through other overnight services will arrive within the scheduled delivery time.

Individual qualifying purchases for the immediate five percent discount must be at least $5,000 or more. Orders may combine any assortment of United States Mint Proof Sets, United States Mint Silver Proof Sets and all American Eagle Proof Coins. A one percent shipping and handling charge for all domestic orders, and a two percent charge for international orders will be added to the retail price of all qualifying purchases.

At the end of 2003, total qualifying purchases will be combined and, for those registered purchasers with an annual total of $50,000 or more, an automatic five percent rebate on the total purchase price will be issued. In addition to meeting the $50,000 requirement, Registered Bulk Purchasers must have purchased during the year a minimum of 100 units each from the categories of United States Mint Proof Sets, Silver Proof Sets and American Eagle Proof Coins.

For more information about the program, including complete terms and conditions and registration forms, please visit www.usmint.gov/consumer or call (202) 354-7500 and ask for the Bulk Purchase Program Manager.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dayone
Dallas County does not charge any fee for credit card transactions and accepts payments online.
Since you seem so willing to use a data point of one here, out of 254 counties in Texas, I'll do the same. Tarrant County, and for that matter the State of Texas, do charge a cc transaction fee. I know from experience, I live in Tarrant, and pay @ five different taxes to the State on a regular basis, including various liquor taxes.

I'd be willing to bet, even, that since Galveston1602 more than likely lives in either Harris or Galveston County, those counties probably charge one as well, judging from his assumption they do where he lives.

Your posts are so authoritatively "corrective" of others' misinformation, I felt sure you'd appreciate getting some bigger experience than "they don't charge in Dallas County".
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am almost ROTFLOL; definitely LOL. Just when we thought mrpickles is out of the coin business he's been resurrected. It also proves another axiom: The rich gets richer!

OTOH, maybe the form will specifically require that the coins be sold, and not be re-deposited immediately?

Please keep us posted. This thread is getting very interesting again. But, if you choose not to get much public notice, that would be just fine too.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
I charge my Dallas County property taxes, but unfortunately that amount is only about 20% of the total property taxes. The other 80% goes to the city where I live and they will charge a fee. Not sure if they will take coins. Also not sure if I have the courage to walk in with several thousand dollars of coins to the city hall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.