Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles

So, I was thinking if they gave a 2% discount and I used a 2% cash back card that would be basically a 4% return on the money. Not bad.
This sounds like the pallet program they had last year, where a 2% discount was given but you had to order by the pallet. The downside was that it had to be a wire transfer not via a CC, which I would think would have to be the same in this case. Did she mention being able to do this via a card?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
How exactly do you think The Mint is going to find out that you immediately deposit the coins?

Unenforced and/or unenforceable written guidelines, even legal statutes, are often referred to as "suggestions".
Exactly. Just weren't taking any chances.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjwjjw
Try a different bank. Some banks will give you a hassle, most won't.
As in just going in with the rolls? The hassle was using the coin machine. It miscounted every single batch and spit out half the coins. I'm going to try another bank, but if I can just deposit the rolls, I will do that, unless I can pay my credit card at the branch that isn't the sponsor of the c/c aka BA Chase Visa paid at XYZ bank at which I have an account that is not a Chase Bank. Can I do that even for a small fee? It seems all the free bill payments are online.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:07 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Your posts are so authoritatively "corrective" of others' misinformation, I felt sure you'd appreciate getting some bigger experience than "they don't charge in Dallas County".
I appreciate your confirmation that I was correct.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by sparksals
As in just going in with the rolls? The hassle was using the coin machine. It miscounted every single batch and spit out half the coins. I'm going to try another bank, but if I can just deposit the rolls, I will do that, unless I can pay my credit card at the branch that isn't the sponsor of the c/c aka BA Chase Visa paid at XYZ bank at which I have an account that is not a Chase Bank. Can I do that even for a small fee? It seems all the free bill payments are online.
I've never had to take them out of the rolls to deposit them. I just take stacked trays in one of the larger shipping boxes. Lately, just cutting off the flaps of the new interior boxes. Try a few different banks and you should find one that will let you do it this way. Much easier.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by jjwjjw
I've never had to take them out of the rolls to deposit them. I just take stacked trays in one of the larger shipping boxes. Lately, just cutting off the flaps of the new interior boxes. Try a few different banks and you should find one that will let you do it this way. Much easier.
Thanks. I was under the impression I had to use the coin machines. Will try it at the bank tomorrow.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by nwa330
Why 22? I do 20, it makes the math easier.
Because 22 is the max I can pack in a box. The extras I use for cash transactions, like where gas is cheaper for cash than credit. Each box holds $550 so the math isn't that hard for me.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by sparksals
Thanks. I was under the impression I had to use the coin machines. Will try it at the bank tomorrow.
Most banks (around here at least) take them rolled. Even if you roll them yourself and the ends are just folded over they don't count them.

Some years back when I used to get rolls to search for silver coins I'd get rolls from the bank that were short a coin (once short 2 coins) that were obviously rolled by hand. So I prefer the ones from the mint. Not likely to be short.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
So, I was thinking if they gave a 2% discount and I used a 2% cash back card that would be basically a 4% return on the money. Not bad.
If they offer 2% off while taking credit cards, I really want to know about that. (I might have to set up the trick to get almost 5% rebate on a card for that.)

galveston1602, thanks for the idea of paying property taxes with the coins. (Now I'm wondering about walking into an IRS office and paying estimated taxes with a few hundred pounds of coins.) I might also try doing my next contribution to my local library that way, instead of by check. (Yes, I could use a credit card, but then they get less money and I have to subtract the value of the points I get from my deduction.)
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by sethb
If they offer 2% off while taking credit cards, I really want to know about that. (I might have to set up the trick to get almost 5% rebate on a card for that.)

galveston1602, thanks for the idea of paying property taxes with the coins. (Now I'm wondering about walking into an IRS office and paying estimated taxes with a few hundred pounds of coins.) I might also try doing my next contribution to my local library that way, instead of by check. (Yes, I could use a credit card, but then they get less money and I have to subtract the value of the points I get from my deduction.)

"......and I have to subtract the value of the points I get from the deduction."
Where did you get this tax advice?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Property Taxes

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I charge my Dallas County property taxes, but unfortunately that amount is only about 20% of the total property taxes. The other 80% goes to the city where I live and they will charge a fee. Not sure if they will take coins. Also not sure if I have the courage to walk in with several thousand dollars of coins to the city hall.
Yeah, my county in Texas also charges a 2% fee on cc for property taxes. I had seen the suggestion in the FAQ sticky back in November and made several trips from my car to the front desk to pay the X,XXX.XX in property taxes with coins.

No one in the office would speak to me after I started hauling them in (I had called earlier that money to confirm they accepted *cash* payments). Several of the workers insisted on piling the rolls/boxes up in their conference room and unwrapping each role to count. Gotta love the government - one branch wraps them, the other unwraps them.

43 minutes later . . . I had my paid receipt.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:27 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb

galveston1602, thanks for the idea of paying property taxes with the coins. (Now I'm wondering about walking into an IRS office and paying estimated taxes with a few hundred pounds of coins.)
Mint woke me up the other day trying to tell me about the bulk program - said she will mail forms. Quote: "we were talking about you and realized you are not in our bulk program."

I tried to pay San Diego prop taxes with coins, no go; while they do take coins, they have to count and reroll them and "don't have dollar coin wrappers" although they may by the time the April installment is due. Local IRS office per website "accepts cash payments - exact change required" but doesn't accept live phone calls. I may make a field trip there next week with some coins .
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:40 am

As soon and if they do arrive I will scan the forms and post them here.
How is that going to be good for anyone by doing that? 100's of thousands of people from here and beyond in other forums will start filing the forms just because and then there will be yet another issue that will have to be dealt with. Based on other posts, the mint is calling those who fit the bill...why can't it be left at that?

It also sounds like the bulk program anyways which does not allow credit card as payments (if its the same as last year).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by honey4life12
Yeah, my county in Texas also charges a 2% fee on cc for property taxes. I had seen the suggestion in the FAQ sticky back in November and made several trips from my car to the front desk to pay the X,XXX.XX in property taxes with coins.

No one in the office would speak to me after I started hauling them in (I had called earlier that money to confirm they accepted *cash* payments). Several of the workers insisted on piling the rolls/boxes up in their conference room and unwrapping each role to count. Gotta love the government - one branch wraps them, the other unwraps them.

43 minutes later . . . I had my paid receipt.
Of course, if your bank takes them on faith, you could take them to the bank and convert them to paper money then bring the paper money to the tax man. A little more hastle but could save some time.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Although the IRS website says they will take cash, a lot of the smaller office don't. They don't have a cashier function or the correct staffing. They'll send you out to return with a check or money order. You probably don't want to push the IRS on that issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.