Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by buschoi
Care to elaborate before you show how disrespectful you are? I am NOT the teller who spread the words out; I did NOT initiate ANY conversation with the teller at all; I pretty much did NOT encourage ordering and wheeling cart load of coins into a branch for immediately deposit either. I have been trying to keep some of them for intended use. What makes YOU feel sharing of real life branch conversation is crap? I am trying to pay you some deserved respect as a long time FTer, but care to tell me what else I should have done better to share my deposit experience? To be truthful, I agree with you I feel the deal will end soon as the words spread.
Calm down, I wasn't referring to you. More so, the teller who is broadcasting this to random customers in such a manner. If the tellers at the banks are now aware of what's going on, it gives you a rough idea of the awareness of this scheme. In retrospect, it's all over the internet anyway so it's probably a moot point.

I don't think he was putting you at fault for the "crap" but rather the teller who tells random customers who walk in about the US Mint coin deal.
Yes, thank you. I should have been more clear.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jpamco
does the mint check up on weather you actually own a vending machine biz? thks
Yes, they hire a meteorologist to do it.

Mike
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Yes, they hire a meteorologist to do it.

Mike

lol.......thanks Mike.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by god_forbids
Geez, not this again. Remember that the Mint "deal" is all over FatWallet, SlickDeals, Consumerist, the Wall Street Journal, and so forth and so on. Tens of millions of people are "in on it". Or would be, if they weren't terrified of raising the ire of their omniscient Patriot Act-empowered government overlords. I need not remind anyone here that the statistics of the Mint's yearly sales were posted already and only a handful of people even placed orders with them. Major blogs with millions of readers called this a shady scam and just didn't see the potential. So stop freaking out. Most sheeple in this country are too stupid or fearful to get this. I'd say it's more of a problem now that the handful of people ordering did so into the $MM ...
Thanks for the reminder, god_.

Play nice everyone, and please recognize that things like irony, sarcasm, and humor are tough to express when writing on a bulletin board.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Several dozen
FYI - Mint Short Shipments

Just an FYI that at least one mint shipment was billed for $500, but only shipped $250 last year. Use your imagination where the missing $250 went. In any event the mint has credited the card two months after the original claim was filled. Remember "he that shall remain nameless" - perhaps his problem was not allowing enough time for the system to work and the investigation to complete. In any event, mint shortages are investigated and resolved if you complete the right paperwork and have the proper documentation.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:55 pm

lazy

Originally Posted by god_forbids
Most sheeple in this country are too stupid or fearful to get this. I'd say it's more of a problem now that the handful of people ordering did so into the $MM ...
Too stupid, fearful OR SIMPLY LAZY ..... I belong to this last category. Can't get myself to do this deal. The thought of hauling boxes of coins into my bank(s) even a couple of times makes me and So I lose
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Just an FYI that at least one mint shipment was billed for $500, but only shipped $250 last year. Use your imagination where the missing $250 went. In any event the mint has credited the card two months after the original claim was filled. Remember "he that shall remain nameless" - perhaps his problem was not allowing enough time for the system to work and the investigation to complete. In any event, mint shortages are investigated and resolved if you complete the right paperwork and have the proper documentation.
$250 shortfall also is a lot smaller than $20K shortfall as reported by "he that shall remain nameless".

Over the whole year there are at least 1/2 a doz reports on shipment shortfalls, with 1 or 2 over $1500 (wrong product shipped). All have been resolved later per the updates by the OPs, except of course the incident of the missing $20K which we never hear any clear update.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
$250 shortfall also is a lot smaller than $20K shortfall as reported by "he that shall remain nameless".

Over the whole year there are at least 1/2 a doz reports on shipment shortfalls, with 1 or 2 over $1500 (wrong product shipped). All have been resolved later per the updates by the OPs, except of course the incident of the missing $20K which we never hear any clear update.
Actually we did get an update from "he that shall remain nameless" a while ago IIRC. He said his senator buddy got involved and the Mint refunded to his CC fairly quickly.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
I had $250 missing last month. Fax the paper work over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm not calling because I have many active orders and don't want to stir the pot. I'm not worried yet.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:14 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
My wife and I both received emails that our Sacagawea NA orders ($500 each) will be delivered tomorrow (one to our home address, the other to my business address). I checked the tracking numbers and confirmed that they are on the way. Nothing yet on the 2010 NA orders, but nice to see something being shipped.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Talking

Heaven help me, I just ordered the 2010 NA's
I'm Judy and I'm a Coinaholic.
I was in withdrawal and getting the DT's (dollar tremens)
I like shiny things that look back at me.
My SPG Amex was getting jealous since his business brother was out funding bank accounts.

The Burger King drive thru knows me from the coins, they love them.
And I am convinced that using them for the Powerball Lottery Tickets will make me win the jackpot, where I will personally thank the mint for such a wonderful program. Maybe I could get the paid winnings in gold dollars (of course at a discount)!

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Just received my 2001 NAs. In a yellow/black U.S. Mint wrapper rather than the usual N.F. String wrapper. Interesting.

Last edited by andyandy; Jan 14, 2010 at 9:04 am Reason: correction
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:29 am

Fed Reserve now awash in dollar coins

I did not see this in this thread. This is an article from a coin vending trade association.

http://www.americancoinop.com/articl...rticleID=18056

The interesting statement to me is that the Fed now has 691 million coins, up about tenfold over 2007. Clearly, FT folks have not added that volume to the system. The dollar coin is a miserable failure for circulation, thus far.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by H8 2 Travel
I did not see this in this thread. This is an article from a coin vending trade association.

The interesting statement to me is that the Fed now has 691 million coins, up about tenfold over 2007. Clearly, FT folks have not added that volume to the system. The dollar coin is a miserable failure for circulation, thus far.
Great article! 600 million more coins - looks like if someone gets the message, the end is nigh. That's a lot of excess coins.

Of course, the executive branch doesn't follow the marching orders of the federal reserve, so you never know.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by H8 2 Travel

They'll need at least 10 times as many $1 coins in their vaults before they can start pulling $1 bills out of circulation.

And once they do take the $1 bill out of circulation they'll have no problem getting the $1 coins to circulate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.