Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
...The self service checkouts in stores is another place I've gotten rid of them, though not sure that's really putting them in circulation as they never are issued as change, so they just go off for depositing. Depending on the store, you can get rid of a ton of them that way.
If the self service checkout accepts cards, then one is losing out on miles/points that could have been had by using a credit card, rather than paying with coins. Paying with coins, in this instance, defeats the purpose...

I could see it if one is desperate to rid one's hoard of coins, and bypass the dreaded, much-frowned-upon, but the most bang for the buck method of making a bank deposit.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Mar 10, 2010 at 10:54 am Reason: added second sentence
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
You ppl are making my day with this thread.

Apologies if I'm just an idiot who can't work the Search tools correctly, but is there a master list somewhere of which CC issuers will cut you off for using your card for this transaction? I'm thinking of placing an order on my Amex Premier Rewards Gold - noticing a lot of talk about SPG but not the other cards. Thanks for any info.
I've successfully placed orders & received appropriate points with the Amex Premier Gold on several occasions. I would probably just caution, as with all things, not to try and overdo it
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Anyone had any problems with using a Citi card.Was getting ready to order more but wanted to switch cards from Amex.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Talking Play by Wonderland Rules

Ahem - keep the mint management and auditors happy - no depositing coins in the bank please. If you find you have that sudden urge to make a cash deposit, stifle it and just make a large credit card payment at your bank. Paying (credit card) bills with coins is OK, depositing coins in banks is not. Play by Wonderland Rules!

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
If the self service checkout accepts cards, then one is losing out on miles/points that could have been had by using a credit card, rather than paying with coins. Paying with coins, in this instance, defeats the purpose...

I could see it if one is desperate to rid one's hoard of coins, and bypass the dreaded, much-frowned-upon, but the most bang for the buck method of making a bank deposit.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: Several dozen
7. Toll booths
8. Charity boxes in airports.
9. Buying goods in a Central American nation that uses dollars as currency
10. Table tips

Originally Posted by NICEDUDE66
I may be one of the strange ones who actually try to spend the coins and thus circulate them. I propose that we share ideas as to how we can accomplish our own individual goals to rack up miles as well as to help the Mint place the coins in the economy.

I for one use my various CCs as much as possible. Still there are opportunities for using old fashioned cash for day to day transactions when CCs are not the best option. Here are a few ways I circulate the $ coins:

1. Gas station with a 5 cent discount/gallon for cash
2. Small local supermarket that does not take CCs
3. Real estate tax paid in coins
4. Cash present for high school grads
5. Vending machines & parking meters
6. In person charity donations

Any more ideas?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
7. Toll booths
8. Charity boxes in airports.
9. Buying goods in a Central American nation that uses dollars as currency
10. Table tips
I also use them for delivery tips. A roll is always kept handy near the door for the restaurant or Freshdirect guys. At 3 or 4 coins a pop I find myself breaking out a new roll every couple weeks.

I also throw a roll in my carry on bag when I travel, and hand out a couple at a time to cabbies (as a tip when I charge my fare), parking valets, bellhops, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ahem - keep the mint management and auditors happy - no depositing coins in the bank please. If you find you have that sudden urge to make a cash deposit, stifle it and just make a large credit card payment at your bank. Paying (credit card) bills with coins is OK, depositing coins in banks is not. Play by Wonderland Rules!
You talkin' to me? I, one of the few, am not promoting the idea of depositing coins, for a number of reasons, all discussed ad nauseam in this thread.

Using coins to pay down your credit card, also discussed ad nauseam on this thread, is doable, but, as with deposits, can raise red flags, have accounts closed, generate IRS issues, induce G-men to come a'callin', etc.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by NICEDUDE66
I may be one of the strange ones who actually try to spend the coins and thus circulate them. I propose that we share ideas as to how we can accomplish our own individual goals to rack up miles as well as to help the Mint place the coins in the economy.

I for one use my various CCs as much as possible. Still there are opportunities for using old fashioned cash for day to day transactions when CCs are not the best option. Here are a few ways I circulate the $ coins:

1. Gas station with a 5 cent discount/gallon for cash
2. Small local supermarket that does not take CCs
3. Real estate tax paid in coins
4. Cash present for high school grads
5. Vending machines & parking meters
6. In person charity donations

Any more ideas?
I agree with you - I only do this to put them into circulation, and only a total of about $2k, but none have gone back to the bank in bulk.

I would add:
11. TIPS are the best - especially hotel maid/bellman/valet tips.
12. These have become my standard Starbucks currency.
13. Good to have on hand for an occasional gift to a homeless person on the street.
14. As mentioned - metro systems and buses are ideal too. Change from metro ticket machines is the only place I got these coins previously, so they go immediately into circulation.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have been using the coins at the small local shops, too. Although they take CC, the merchant fees will probably take away their limited profit margins. So I help them out, and they love the coins.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I agree with you - I only do this to put them into circulation, and only a total of about $2k, but none have gone back to the bank in bulk.

I would add:
11. TIPS are the best - especially hotel maid/bellman/valet tips.
12. These have become my standard Starbucks currency.
13. Good to have on hand for an occasional gift to a homeless person on the street.
14. As mentioned - metro systems and buses are ideal too. Change from metro ticket machines is the only place I got these coins previously, so they go immediately into circulation.
15. Girl Scout cookies

Last edited by Adirondacker; Mar 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Mine don't. Every so often I get lucky and a charge never shows up.

Much more often, the dates don't match. The credit card company can get the charge weeks or more after I make it (especially for out-of-country purchases), and even longer for out-of-stock-delayed-shipping. Bonuses are based on when they think charges happened, not on when I do.
Oh if you are talking about the dates of posting - no, they hardly match even for local purchases. Always a day or 2 late, and in the case of foreign transaction, I have had charges authorized, dropped off, and eventually posted 6 weeks later.

I am more concerned about making sure I have an updated record of what expenses I have ALREADY incurred then making sure every $ matched with the bonus spending requirement - for which I only keep track of a ballpark figure, and I always use ACTUAL posting amount and not counting on "should be / would be posted on time" amount.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine don't. Every so often I get lucky and a charge never shows up.
They can't force you to take them back, but they can close out your account.
I had Ren at BCN charged me for an award stay, then reversed the charge, and reversed the charge again - all happened without me even knowing it when it happened as after the stay we flew to Venice, staying for 3 days then boarded a Transatlantic cruise to arrive Ft. Lauderdale for 18 days. It was when I checked account online then I saw what they did. The 2nd credit was never reversed back.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Citi is cool

I did $500+500 in one order, got em delivered on separate days, with a Citi card. Did this one time, my first time, last month.

I have another order waiting to ship now, same card. $1000 and $500. 1000 NA's and 500 Thomas J's.

The Jefferson order said "Expect to ship 3/10" but didn't ship today. I placed it 3/09. I'll update when it ships.

Soooo...what do I do with them?

16) There's an asshat landlord that's getting them in a bag this month.

I may video tape it, because his reaction will be priceless.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:05 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by somdave2005
Has anyone tried to deposit these coins at their local brokerage branch? ie Schwab, Fidelity, Etrade, Scotttrade, etc. I have a Schwab account and depositing there would be very convenient since I can then transfer to my Schwab checking account.

As I recall (unless something has changed), Schwab does not accept cash deposits at branches.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by pushback
As I recall (unless something has changed), Schwab does not accept cash deposits at branches.
That has been my experience, for years now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.