Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by genotonda
Anyone notice the free expedited shipping is gone? Looks like the NA's are now in stock, my order from 9/27 is "in-process" now. I went to order another 10k today and the new shipping options are 2-3 days for $17.95 (IIRC) and 1-2 weeks for $4.95. Once you go to check out, the 1-2 weeks does zero out, and the expedited will discount by the amount of the 1-2 weeks price.

Bummer. I wonder if it will really take 1-2 weeks to ship?
I just placed an order. It looks like business is as usual. No shipping is added to my order over $300.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Drama Queen! I hope people don't waste their time responding to you.
While I agree with your advice, I can't resist the urge to play detective for a few minutes before turning in. So, I'm pasting all of drumdrum's posts below with a bit of commentary:

POST 1 Has anyone had success in getting a large amount of missing coins replaced by the mint? UPS dropped off about 20K worth at the gate at the base of my driveway even though the gate is open. It was supposed to be a sig required delivery but they didn't even attempt to come to my house. When I look at the UPS tracking link it says delivered and it was signed by me. This is impossible. The coins are no where to be seen. I have read that it is futile to initiate a charge back on my CC and that you have to take it up directly with the Mint then they will file a claim with UPS. For anybody that has had to deal with this, was a police report necessary and what was the end result?
For starters, I'd be shocked if any human being were to jump into this game with an initial order of TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. Like many others, I tested out the waters at the 750 level before raising the stakes, and even for that small amount of "coin", I managed to accommodate my schedule to UPS's (i.e. I knew they were supposed to arrive in the morning, so I actually kept my eye out for the brown truck). Sure, I was an hour late for work, but when my I advised my client of the situation, she was cool (to the extent that she has now joined the ranks of us patriots).

It should go without saying that even if the client had been a stickler for punctuality, I would have placed a higher importance upon (an initial order of) TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS than her policies. Otherwise, I would have paid a friend $100 to sit around my house for an hour or so and also take care of the deposits.

Since others have already jumped on the "should I file a police report?" bit, I'll refrain from further comment, except to say that this was a second red flag.

POST 2 Because there was one empty box left next to the tupperware tub that sits next to the gate which is where UPS typically leaves my packages. The shipment was supposed to be 8 packages. I got one empty box.
"8 packages" does pass the smell test, but I wonder how anyone new to the game would know that. What's more, tmk UPS doesn't specify the number of boxes that you should expect, but I suppose it's possible that one could ascertain such info over the phone.

POST 3 This is the first Mint shipment I have ordered. I received an automated call today from UPS stating that I would receive the delivery today and a signature would be required. I leave the house and find one empty box from the Mint by my gate. I have no neighbors. UPS normally leaves everything by my gate but I can't remember when I have had anything come that required a signature. It bothers me that when I look at the tracking details and it states it was delivered to my residence and was signed by me. I will have to follow up on Monday. I never signed anything stating my sig wouldn't be required.
Like post #2, this also contains enough elements of truth to suggest that drumdrum is more familiar with the game than a typical coin virgin,... as I've also received automated calls from UPS (which, alert me to revise my schedule for the following day).

POST 4 According to the Mint, these were supposed to be shipped via FEDEX, not UPS. Why would I remove the tub next to the gate when a sig is required for delivery? Since I never signed for the shipment, if they were stolen, they were stolen from UPS, not me. Hence my question about the police report. I think UPS should be the one filing a report at this point.

The "crap like this" as you refer to it has nothing to do with me, or my tub next to the gate. It's about the UPS driver not driving up to the house and getting a sig from me like he was supposed to.
I've NEVER received a coin shipment via FedEx, nor would I expect to because their FAQ clearly states that FedEx shipments are handed off to USPS locally. Incidentally, if I had reason to believe that USPS would be involved in the process, I'd probably scale things back a bit.

Again, I did a few small orders in order to figure out the system before graduating to the big leagues (i.e. I can afford a $750 hit, but not $20k).

POST 5 I have followed up with the Mint, UPS, and filed a police report. I have also emailed every minor and major news source I could find an email address for with my experience. I have linked this thread and the one on fatwallet. I will add a Wikipedia entry as well. This program should die. It is just a money making scam for the greedy and I don't know what I was thinking when I participated in it. The greedy self serving responses here has prompted me to pursue it's demise.

#6 DRUMDRUM kills the Dollar Coin scam
Like the others, I won't lose any sleep over the thought that an isolated incident of stupidity could derail a successful government sanctioned program.

In closing, if drumdrum aspires to be taken seriously, he/she should address some of the issues I've raised above. I'm particularly interested in the connection between "this is a scam" and the about TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR order.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Add to the list of questions -- How did he know that that empty box by the gate was from the mint? My boxes don't give that as a return address.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
The box left behind was proof positive that the shipment had been delivered. Why somebody must have gotten into it and found the dollars. They took the rest and forget that first box.

But who signed for the shipment? Find the digital signature on the net. Then we'll know.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
There were other issues with his first post. For example, how did he know that "they didn't even attempt to come up to the house"? The truck could have been too wide for the gate?

Also, when UPS has the "signed by" on the web tracking, in my case it only shows the last name. Not the first name. How did the poster know that UPS had "his" signature and not someone else in the family or a neighbor that signed his name?

From the very start I suspected that it was possibly a scam to get a "free" $20K. The poster had too much "information" for the case to be real.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:14 pm
Suspended

I know how many packages there was coming because it says so on the UPS tracking link. It lists a tracking number for each package. I know the empty box left at the gate was from the mint because it had a tracking number on it. The UPS and FEDEX has come to my house before, there is not an access problem. The tracking link lists my name as the person who signed for the boxex. I have no neighbors. There is no other person here that could have signed for it even if they happened to be standing at the gate when UPS showed up. I have typed up an outline of this program and the ways it is being abused and forwarded it to over 70 different news sources. If it gets picked up by just one I will be happy.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Obviously fishing with intent to do fraud. Sounds ripe for a sting.
According to his profile, he just registered Oct 3rd and the first post was about the theft. Wonder what he is fishing for? How to report the theft to the Mint in a proper manner so as to collect 20k for free?

I think his very first sentence gave a clue to his true intent:

Has anyone had success in getting a large amount of missing coins replaced by the mint?
If the theft is real, he should file a report with all the necessary authorities, and report back to us what is happening.

I am even thinking this theft never happened; actually, he probably never even placed this order.

In the meantime, I think we should all refrain from giving him tips on how to talk to the Mint et al.

* Read his latest post right above mine, and it's really telling that his reaction to a theft is to type up a news release. And the vengeful sentiment expressed in "If it gets picked up by just one I will be happy." is quite stunning. Regardless of the authenticity of the theft, is he not trying to hurt the rest of us in a kind of collective punishment? That's sick!

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Oct 4, 2009 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just a note about signing for packages with UPS. After having the same driver deliver many packages a week, some of which required signatures, she began to sign for us and leave them on the doorstep when we weren't home. This could be because we live in a more isolated area without as much traffic.

Just though I'd chime in and let you know that this wouldn't be the first time that a UPS driver signed for a package for a recipient.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by drumdrum
The tracking link lists my name as the person who signed for the boxex.
Has your credit card been charged for the purchase? Is your credit card company expecting payment?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by drumdrum
I have typed up an outline of this program and the ways it is being abused and forwarded it to over 70 different news sources. If it gets picked up by just one I will be happy.
What abuse?

Purchases and shipments in the tens of thousands is the explicit intent of the US Mint program. They are the ones who took the limits off the purchases of the NAs.

If your intent is to hurt the US Mint you will only be increasing their exposure by giving them unpaid advertising and p.r.

If your intent is to hurt us, well it may have an effect on the amount of competitors we all have depositing at our banks, but it may also increase the exposure enough that the tellers will stop asking us why we're bringing in so much coin. Either way, good luck.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by MWRFlyer
Just a note about signing for packages with UPS. After having the same driver deliver many packages a week, some of which required signatures, she began to sign for us and leave them on the doorstep when we weren't home. This could be because we live in a more isolated area without as much traffic.

Just though I'd chime in and let you know that this wouldn't be the first time that a UPS driver signed for a package for a recipient.
Last week I received an automated phone message that my package would be delivered and required a signature. As I guessed I found my package on my front stoop when I got home. Driver obviously signed for the package.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by balima
Last week I received an automated phone message that my package would be delivered and required a signature. As I guessed I found my package on my front stoop when I got home. Driver obviously signed for the package.
Hm... If this is true, I think I'd be calling UPS to get an image of the signature.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:10 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I used the coins at the local farmers market today and they were very well received.

^
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by decibel08
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I used the coins at the local farmers market today and they were very well received.

^
A cashier at McDonald's really likes them. Said she buys them back whenever they appear. I didn't tell her how many more I could get for her.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've been using them at a local theater that shows movies for $1.99. The ticket sellers there love them (after all, all they would need is these and pennies and they'd be all set!). A couple of times they asked to buy the whole roll.

I didn't want to mention that I've deposited $5,000 (over time) at the bank across the street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.