Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
Originally Posted by craz
Its the NAs that are the problem , people are calling the banks looking for The Pres coins

Then go order some of the new MVB's.

Mine are already in process. ^
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Winners:
Brinks and other armored car services
UPS
most purchasers
US Mint
credit card companies

Losers:
Banks
Federal Reserve
It is about time for some justice. ^
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Emphasis mine: Agreed. I am only relieved that I am the only 'coin guy' in the neighborhood. I feel bad for people who live nearby the guy who started the 'middle appendage' measurement contest in this thread and his previously timid minions that joined him. Your favorite bank gets hit by one or two of these guys in a month, and then followed by you, you'll find your bank has decided to change policy in a hurry.
+1. When I discussed with the branch manager who refused to take the rolled coins this morning, I told her I totally understood her position. She looked like she wanted to help me, but she also had to protect her branch's profitability and her job. With that one guy bringing in boxes every single week, it is plain logical she has to do something to stop it. I, unfortunately, walked in after that guy, and of course I was immediately labeled and had to be subject to the same treatment.

Anyway, I will continue doing my deposit run, depositing max of $2.5K at each branch, and will not visit the same branch in at least 3 weeks (with a spreadsheet keeping track), except I have received explicit approval to bring in more coins more frequently. I rather do it slower than killing the golden goose.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
I believe if you walk in today with 5k in NAs theyd turn you away. Go back tommorrow with 5k in the Pres (if it was possible) and they will grab them and ask you if you have any more and to bring them in

Its the NAs that are the problem , people are calling the banks looking for The Pres coins
Doubt it. My 2 branches dont have any clue what kind of coins they are.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lefty
Then go order some of the new MVB's.

Mine are already in process. ^
Maximum $500 per household. Though occasionally people can get away from it.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:28 pm

I visited a client about 25 miles from my home and decided to bring 4 sealed boxes for deposit (was going to bring 8, but decided against).

I showed up at a Chase branch, walked in and told the teller that I would like to deposit these 4 boxes. I told her that the boxes were sealed and had $250 in each box. She opened one box, talked to a co-worker, and agreed to accept the deposit. We then opened each box, and she visually inspected to make sure there was $250 in each box.

As I was filling out the payment slip, the guy at the window next to mine tells the teller "Don't go anywhere with those boxes, I'll buy them from you"

Another observation -- at least for me -- bring the boxes sealed and make a point to say "I have x boxes of sealed $250 that I would like to deposit". I think the sealed part makes a big difference.

Also, I think I'm going to make small deposits rather than very large ones. I'll try to bring 2 boxes to work every day and deposit them at different branches.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by buschoi

Anyway, I will continue doing my deposit run, depositing max of $2.5K at each branch, and will not visit the same branch in at least 3 weeks (with a spreadsheet keeping track), except I have received explicit approval to bring in more coins more frequently. I rather do it slower than killing the golden goose.
Even $2.5K at a time is a lot. Each bag that the bank sends to the Fed is about $2K - so you are depositing more than 1 bag at a time. If you keep the deposits to $1K or under you are filling up significantly less than one bag and may attract less attention.

I know I take in less than 1K at a time (to a CU that has a publicly available coin counter). This way the manager may not have to change the bag while I am there, or if he does, it only happens every 2 or 3 times that I am there.

By doing this, I hope to stay under the radar and not bring attention to what is happening.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:32 pm

Change of Address

Originally Posted by Happy
Maximum $500 per household. Though occasionally people can get away from it.

I recently changed my Mint 'ship to address' to UPS. No more missed deliveries and I get the coins one day faster. And the bonus...the new address reset my President order history to zero. So I reordered two boxes of each. Probably should have some sent to work too.

Today, my backorders and Presidents all arrived. I went to the bank with my non-TSA approved box cutter and put nearly $2k in the coin counter. Slowly, so it does not miscount.

When I made the deposit, the teller crew asked where I got the dollars. I mumbled 'the mint'. They asked if I had more. Nodding yes. "We'll take all you got." One of the tellers came out to my car to help me carry them in. We opened the sealed boxes, they counted the rolls and deposited the money.

They said to keep them coming as their customers are always asking for them...NA and Presidents. I know it won't last, so I will keep my orders to what I can dump in a week in the coin counters, just in case.

At the branch near my house, the assistant manager pretty much called me a liar when their machine miscounted (dollars as nickles, quarters and halves). Those miscounts have since been put back into my account.

I love the kids at this new branch. For now.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Losers:
Banks
Federal Reserve
Doesn't the FR losing actually just mean the tax payers? We're the ones paying them to store these things. And, actually, doesn't the banks losing just mean us tax payers, too
Old Sep 18, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
$5k successfully received and deposited yesterday. No Mr. Pickles, but not too bad. Credit Union said keep 'em coming, just call in advance so they can get ready.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Comicwoman
I recently changed my Mint 'ship to address' to UPS. No more missed deliveries and I get the coins one day faster. And the bonus...the new address reset my President order history to zero. So I reordered two boxes of each. Probably should have some sent to work too.

Today, my backorders and Presidents all arrived. I went to the bank with my non-TSA approved box cutter and put nearly $2k in the coin counter. Slowly, so it does not miscount.

When I made the deposit, the teller crew asked where I got the dollars. I mumbled 'the mint'. They asked if I had more. Nodding yes. "We'll take all you got." One of the tellers came out to my car to help me carry them in. We opened the sealed boxes, they counted the rolls and deposited the money.

They said to keep them coming as their customers are always asking for them...NA and Presidents. I know it won't last, so I will keep my orders to what I can dump in a week in the coin counters, just in case.

At the branch near my house, the assistant manager pretty much called me a liar when their machine miscounted (dollars as nickles, quarters and halves). Those miscounts have since been put back into my account.

I love the kids at this new branch. For now.
Does UPS charge you a fee to receive the boxes? I was told it would be a $5 fee for every package they received in my name.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:12 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Doesn't the FR losing actually just mean the tax payers? We're the ones paying them to store these things. And, actually, doesn't the banks losing just mean us tax payers, too
The Fed returns a profit on its operations to the U.S. Treasury.

In 2008, it was $35B and is estimated to be $45B in 2009 (because of gains from its intervention in the financial crisis).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Just a note about bringing in sealed boxes. While I never unroll the coins, I do open the boxes and count the rolls as soon as I get them, just to make sure that everything is there. That way, if there are any problems, I can catch them right away.

I'm more than happy to bring some tape to the bank and reseal them if the bank asks.

Mike
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Winners:
Brinks and other armored car services
UPS
most purchasers
US Mint
credit card companies

Losers:
Banks
Federal Reserve
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Sounds good to me! ^

Could not happen to a more deserving bunch!
Our attorney, a low-key likeable guy, is so disgusted with the recent banking mess he thinks this coin thing is the best revenge ever. But like my banking CSR Kim and most poeple he probably won't ever get around to actually doing anything.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Socko33
I just called a bank to explain my situation and asked how i would go about making thousands in coin deposits...

she said, on the phone, that all the coins had to go through their coin counting machine.

I asked if it could handle $7500; she said it can handle whatever you bring in!

Is this too good to be true?
I have the same situation with my bank. The trick is to run them slowly through the machine, else they have a tendancy to jam the machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.