Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
So it seems that the run of the one Pres is out and now we are waiting for the next issue in August or later. Has anyone noticed the mention on the website about "for those for whom $1000 in coins is too much". This was very easy for me to turn in at the bank and really $1000 would be no trouble. I don't see any way to do it on the website and the bags of $250 charge a premium. Wonder if it is possible to order them through your bank and if so if they would take a credit card to do it...barring any shipping or other fees.

Frenchie Flyer
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:51 pm
Original Member

Since some of you have actually received the coins, presumably your credit card was charged. Would most appreciate your telling us if the charge was for a purchase or for a cash advance (it really is the latter), and on which card.

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:10 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
looks like the Quincy Adams coins are back in stock and still available tax and shipping free. get em while you can
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by freeloader
looks like the Quincy Adams coins are back in stock and still available tax and shipping free. get em while you can
I called the US Mint to check on my 6/28 order that never has been officially cancelled with any written correspondence, and they told me that the website is wrong and the product is still sold out. If anyone is successful in placing an order now, I would be interested in hearing this.

By the way, what is the last date that anyone has placed an order and either 1) received their product already, or 2) been updated that their product is still in the queue to be shipped?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Just checked the site. My order for two boxes, placed way back in June, shipped today by parcel post. So at least they are shipping out some of the older orders.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: AS100k
"US Mint Coin Sales"

Originally Posted by pgary
Since some of you have actually received the coins, presumably your credit card was charged. Would most appreciate your telling us if the charge was for a purchase or for a cash advance (it really is the latter), and on which card.

Thanks.
Charged on the day it shipped, AmEx, purchase, not cash advance, listed vendor as "US Mint Coin Sales "

-Ian
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:15 am
Suspended

The best place to off load them and feel GREAT about doing so is at a Gas station. I know you all will say use a CC, but more and more Im finding that stations are pricing the gas as $3.89 cash, $3.99 credit.

So pull up with an empty tank and tell em to fill it up cash, and then give them the coins
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by andyandy
Just checked the site. My order for two boxes, placed way back in June, shipped today by parcel post. So at least they are shipping out some of the older orders.
I received a note that mine was scheduled to ship on 23 June recently. I went to check online (without receiving an E-mail) and it actually shipped today; DHL is showing as processed in Wilmington, OH. I'm wondering if the mint has a drop shipper?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
fyi citi cards--at least the AA mastercard--is pretty much the only CC i know of who will let the customer ask to have their cash advance limit set to $0.00

dont do it for $100 or $1, do it for 0. that way not even a pre auth to use the cash advance feature could ever come thru. other cards will not allow this, from what I have found in my exp. and While I used the NWA Visa, I think it will be a purchase anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by craz
The best place to off load them and feel GREAT about doing so is at a Gas station. I know you all will say use a CC, but more and more Im finding that stations are pricing the gas as $3.89 cash, $3.99 credit.

So pull up with an empty tank and tell em to fill it up cash, and then give them the coins
That equation only works out well if you don't have a rewards credit card or one offering less than 2.5% reward.

Some of us are still grandfathered into programs like the 'Chase Cash Plus Rewards' Visa which gives a 5% cashback at gas stations (and supermarkets and drug stores).

$3.99 * 0.95 = $3.79
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Is that a statement of fact or a mistyped question?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:01 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I used two in a vending machine at work today (Diet Pepsi). No problems encountered.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Is that a statement of fact or a mistyped question?
Well, on the surface you are indeed getting cash advanced your card.
However, it isn't really a traditional type of cash advance and it's likely to be considered a purchase by pretty much every bank.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:05 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz

Thanks.
My statement shows a purchase NOT a cash advance.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:57 pm

My Amex statement has closed and showed it as: US Mint Coin Sales - Washington DC and it was posted as a purchase. No fees, no interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.