Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Had the same question about the "cash equiv" rule that has hit the TC purchases. However, since people were still able to order and no one had complained that they had not gotten the miles, I assumed that, for right now, there is no issue with the coin purchases.

Also, I think AMEX would have a hard time figuring if the purchase was for the coins or some other product that the mint sells.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Just another data point, but my cash advance limit is $2400 and was able to order thousands over that number in both coins and TCs before and currently have $3k posted/delivered/or on their way after 4/2. Hopefully this will continue to earn Starpoints.
Buying the coins was never limited by your cash advance limit. However, the action of ordering the coins does decrease the available cash advance line for up to a week.

i.e. you have a $2400 limit, two different scenarios:

1) You buy $1000 worth of coins; your available CA line for the next 7 days is $2400 - $1000 = $1400

2) You buy $5000 worth of coins; your available CA line for the next 7 days is $2400 - $5000 = -$2600, or in other words ZERO ($0)

In scenario #1, you could still buy your $1000 worth of Travelers Cheques that week, but, in scenario #2, you CAN NOT buy your Travelers Cheques until your cash advance line gets reset.

Originally Posted by johndunn2
Coins I ordered in February were charged normally on my AMEX card on April 6
There was never a doubt they would appear as a purchase. The question is whether AMEX cards will earn points now being that AMEX clearly considers mint purchases as cash equivalences. TC's don't earn point anymore, as been confirmed by many in that other thread. My hunch is the coins will still earn points, however, we need to hear from someone who had the purchase post after April 2nd, and who's statement has closed. So, when your statement closes, please do report back if no one has done so already.

Originally Posted by deant
Had the same question about the "cash equiv" rule that has hit the TC purchases. However, since people were still able to order and no one had complained that they had not gotten the miles, I assumed that, for right now, there is no issue with the coin purchases.

Also, I think AMEX would have a hard time figuring if the purchase was for the coins or some other product that the mint sells.
I agree, ultimately I believe AMEX will still give points for these, however, the only reason for caution is that AMEX always considered mint purchases as a form of cash equivalence. And if they've 'flicked a switch' so to speak to stop points from being rewarded on cash equivalences instead of for TC's only, then it is something to pay attention to. And no worries, I think we'll find out the definitive answer very soon.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by deant
Exactly what I was thinking. How will Amex know what you're buying from the mint?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Well I just called AMEX for 2 reasons. The first was a problem I remember others having here but don't remember if it was ever solved but I ordered on the 11th, had a pending charge for 500, but then the pending charge never finalized and as disappeared but I have the coins now. Just making sure the mint will charge just later right?

Also they said the purchases id not count as cash advance, that it went under as a normal purchase. Hopefully those with miles cards can confirm this by the next month.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by johndunn2
Coins I ordered in February were charged normally on my AMEX card on April 6
No problems as well! Ordered, delivered, and got points.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
MODS: please remove

Last edited by singtx; Apr 22, 2009 at 11:48 am Reason: deleted
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shocking...the US government has improved its service performance:

My latest order arrived within 1 week of ordering, and the UPS man asked me for a signature instead of just dropping it off by the front door without even ringing the doorbell.

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Apr 22, 2009 at 9:37 pm
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:33 pm

New Presidential coins

Just for everybody's information: the are the new coins that have "In God We Trust" removed.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by luckysnap
Just for everybody's information: the are the new coins that have "In God We Trust" removed.
No - there were some shipped out erroneously without "In God We Trust" - but all coins have it - just on the sides not on the face..... so don't believe the conspiracy theories....
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
While off-topic, I believe beginning with the WH Harrison coins "In God We Trust" was moved from the edge to the bottom of the obverse of the coin. What makes you think it has been removed (assuming that is what you meant when you posted)?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, what an interesting first post.

This has actually been covered in this thread way back in October.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10500095-post889.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10500145-post891.html

Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dollarcoin.asp
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
[QUOTE=thehawk75;11625295]
however, we need to hear from someone who had the purchase post after April 2nd, and who's statement has closed. So, when your statement closes, please do report back if no one has done so already.
[\QUOTE]

my statement closed on the 16th. actually it was my very first statement since i got the spg card.
my all orders got credited normally not as Cash Advances.
Checked my account just now..another 250 charged normally.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by aaron1262

my statement closed on the 16th. actually it was my very first statement since i got the spg card.
my all orders got credited normally not as Cash Advances.
Checked my account just now..another 250 charged normally.
Again...

We all know these are NOT cash advances, and will NEVER post as a cash advance, that was not and will never be the question. Did you get the SPG points for any purchases that posted April 2nd and later (i.e. log in to spg.com)? That is the question. And for the record I do believe you still will get the points from AMEX for coin purchases. It's merely a matter of what AMEX did when they changed their 'cash equivalence' policy, did they cut out the Travelers Cheques from earning points only, or all items they consider a 'cash equivalence' (not to be confused with 'cash advance').
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
And then what if you order from the US Mint something that is currency and something that isn't and charge it to your SPG Amex? Will the currency and non-currency items be charged separately so one qualifies and one does not?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Does AMEX really use the phrase "cash equivalence"? I've read far too many financial statement footnotes, so I'm very familiar with the term "cash equivalents", but "cash equivalence" is a new one for me.

Sorry to go OT for a moment!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.