Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:09 am

So scary prospect....

I did my normal order on 07/13 and had an order # of 37888320, today I got my wife's Chase Sapphire in and did a new order... #37910578 a difference of 22,261 orders within 3 days. For reference my 10 day prior order (07/03) the order # was 37851496, a difference of 36,826.

Rate of orders per day on average:
07/13-07/16 7,420
07/03-07/13 3,682

So doubling orders because of the articles written?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smidget
So scary prospect....

I did my normal order on 07/13 and had an order # of 37888320, today I got my wife's Chase Sapphire in and did a new order... #37910578 a difference of 22,261 orders within 3 days. For reference my 10 day prior order (07/03) the order # was 37851496, a difference of 36,826.

Rate of orders per day on average:
07/13-07/16 7,420
07/03-07/13 3,682

So doubling orders because of the articles written?
hopefully just a quick spike and will go back to normal
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum
looks like all coins are sold out except for NA and JM at 7/31... I might wait a few more days until the rush passes to order again...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:40 am

Has anyone ever tried exchanging the coins overseas?

I regularly travel and if I could use these to change to local currency in China, Thailand, etc. then that would be a boon for me!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Several dozen
Yes, in Quito they were well accepted. But then they use dollars for every day transactions down there. Try countries that use dollars every day. Doubt C or T would want the metal and most common money changers can't handle it.

Originally Posted by headala

I regularly travel and if I could use these to change to local currency in China, Thailand, etc. then that would be a boon for me!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
The comments at the end of this story are so misinformed it is laughable. Why do people post information without checking the source? Or were these just posts from FT's trying to dissuade the rest of the country not to buy coins?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by headala

I personally would not go this route as you have to take into account the weight of all the coins. Don't forget airlines have a weight limit for luggage. The approx. weight of $1000 in dollar coins is almost 18-20 lbs. It's almost the wt of another luggage. And if you put all that into a checked baggage then I'm almost sure the coins will do a magic act= disappear.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:59 pm
Suspended

The writings on the wall--or news

With so much news about the mint lately I think it will almost certainly end up with more credit cards not allowing mint coins as a purchase.

1st Amex denied GC use, fairly soon I think Amex will not allow any of their cards for mint use also.

I think the good times at the mint may be over soon so enjoy it while it last.

---IMO
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Finally Mrs Reds and I received our shipment. We kept $100 to spend. Mrs Reds decided to buy a money order to deposit at the ATM since it was past 5 at Walmart while grocery shopping and they were willing to exchange them for $50 bills for free for her. This is a great way to earn fast miles
Welcome to the club! I am sure these wont be your last orders

Smart move on going to Walmart with them if you couldn't deposit them right away. Walmart has given me larger bills as well in the past. And if they wont, they will give money orders up to $1,000 and Walmart offers the cheapest price on money orders. I have had problems with Kroger (who only gives money orders up to $500) accepting the coins for a Money Order purchase in the past but Walmart is always great about accepting them.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Some legit contractors pay in cash. Just make sure they are licensed, bonded, and insured. If they can't speak fluent English and won't provide proof of insurance then worry:$
Most people do realize legit contractors sometimes pay in cash. I do all those things before hiring a contractor as well as check their BBB rating for complaints and require a certificate of insurance. And I only hire Americans
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
hey if I use these coins to buy drugs but don't care to get the miles (and order using a non-miles card/debit card), am I now at least ethical and not an exploiter nor an abuser, but just a common criminal instead so that makes it ok? Or, if I do get miles also, then do two wrongs make a right?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:58 pm

So true. Alas, the AMEX Spanish Inquisition made me swear off the coins and gift cards. Cardinal Biggles was adament - can the coins or you get the dreaded dish rack!

So instead of buying a modest amount of coins on AMEX, now all I buy is an immodest amount of groceries for 2x MR.

Originally Posted by freezone
With so much news about the mint lately I think it will almost certainly end up with more credit cards not allowing mint coins as a purchase.

1st Amex denied GC use, fairly soon I think Amex will not allow any of their cards for mint use also.

I think the good times at the mint may be over soon so enjoy it while it last.

---IMO
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:11 pm

Does anyone else resent being called a travel hacker by the NPR? I'm feeling kinda defamed for doing only what my government did - recapitalizing the banking system.

Originally Posted by thebat
The comments at the end of this story are so misinformed it is laughable. Why do people post information without checking the source? Or were these just posts from FT's trying to dissuade the rest of the country not to buy coins?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:13 pm

Nice try there, but we want to know - North, Central or South Americans?

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And I only hire Americans
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Does anyone else resent being called a travel hacker by the NPR? I'm feeling kinda defamed for doing only what my government did - recapitalizing the banking system.
The next time NPR has one of their fundraising pledge drives, I think I know how to donate to my local station...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.