Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
The NPR and now Yahoo articles may kill this. I do hope I am very wrong.

Sadly, there are always going to be those out there (and in here) who say that thoughtless phrase: "well, it worked for a while and something else will come up so it's no big deal!"

And some already think that since it ran in WSJ years ago and did not die, that it will not die now. But yeah, I think it will. I think this because now the pressure is on the mint PR-wise. It all LOOKS bad now and that is what matters most to people/companies these days.

The way I see it is:
  • reporters who put together this story deem it as unethical, etc.
  • they then weave that opinion into a story of facts (wrong in my opinion but what do I know)
  • their doing this now nudges the mint, the banks and the credit cards to change rules
  • this closes or sharply reduces the gig
  • and if it shuts down, these reporters can say, "see? we DID expose something we thought was wrong! We are great!"
  • because for some (especially for some reporters) it's all about notoriety.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Anyone had a 1k order pre-auth in 2 transactions (250 & 750 each)?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This was the worst piece of biased trash "journalism" I've seen in ages - I sent a nastygram to the Forbes editorial staff and posted the same on their FB page, and I urge others to do the same.

The bias is incredible - referring to this as a scam, and something that should be against the law. That reporter needs to be fired and sent back to journalism school.

Disgusting.
This may have been said but don't want to read all the posts. We all do know a $1 bill last less than 2 years and a coin 20+ right? Thus ban the bill!

We also all know it cost more than 1 cent to make a penny right? Ban the stupid penny!

If you are going to do news be sure to cover it all not just some IMO!

Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
The NPR and now Yahoo articles may kill this. I do hope I am very wrong.

Sadly, there are always going to be those out there (and in here) who say that thoughtless phrase: "well, it worked for a while and something else will come up so it's no big deal!"

And some already think that since it ran in WSJ years ago and did not die, that it will not die now. But yeah, I think it will. I think this because now the pressure is on the mint PR-wise. It all LOOKS bad now and that is what matters most to people/companies these days.

The way I see it is:
  • reporters who put together this story deem it as unethical, etc.
  • they then weave that opinion into a story of facts (wrong in my opinion but what do I know)
  • their doing this now nudges the mint, the banks and the credit cards to change rules
  • this closes or sharply reduces the gig
  • and if it shuts down, these reporters can say, "see? we DID expose something we thought was wrong! We are great!"
  • because for some (especially for some reporters) it's all about notoriety.
You complain.... yet you sent NPR emails and talked to them on the phone only helping their story. So did someone with a popular travel blog...
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Getting back on topic: is anyone else experiencing waaay longer than usual delays in getting their orders fulfilled? I've got some orders from Jul 1 that are STILL listed as "in stock and reserved" and "in process". And it's been "in process" for a couple of days now. Sheesh.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: most of them
Peripherally related to this, ABC News had a story last night about how the government pays hundreds of thousands per day to make these coins and then, because no one wants them, just puts them into storage. And they are spending some enormous amount of money to build a new vault to store them in and will pay millions to ship them to the new vault. They thought this was a good example of government waste.

Because they are Congressionally mandated to make the coins the Mint says they have no choice. Of course until Congress gets rid of the dollar bill almost no one will want to use these coins.

So, the Mint has much bigger problems on their hands than a few frequent fliers using their program to collect some miles. I bought a few boxes a while back. And I still have them. I use them in vending machines and here and there. While some folks go all out on this program, I am guessing that most of us don't bother with toting all of those coins to the bank. In the end I am thinking the amount of coins used to "exploit" this program is pretty miniscule in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by thegasguru
Getting back on topic: is anyone else experiencing waaay longer than usual delays in getting their orders fulfilled? I've got some orders from Jul 1 that are STILL listed as "in stock and reserved" and "in process". And it's been "in process" for a couple of days now. Sheesh.

I've ONLY been ordering NAs and my 07/03/11 order was delivered yesterday.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I placed a few orders on 7/3 and one on 7/4 and all of them went into process on Saturday and shipped weds.

As long as they are in process and not on hold you should be ok. I have only had an order that was in process cancel once, that was back in early May when others were experiencing the same problem with the mint, and the order ended up shipping a couple weeks later anyway
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Hey guys,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've read through the FAQ, but was wondering more logistically how many of you deposit these coins. Do you call the banks ahead of time? I'd be using Wells Fargo, and would appreciate any tips/experiences that you have had with them.

Looking forward to my first order in a week!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Latest NPR story

NPR has a story now on a congresswoman trying to kill the minting of the coins immediately:

http://m.npr.org/news/front/137850604
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the mint is getting caught up

My orders on 7/7 shipped last night. I have some property tax bills due on 7/29 so great timing.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:46 am

Just received my 8 orders placed on 7/5 and 7/6. I ordered an assortment of the ones which are currently showing as sold out...Just figured I'd chime in to inform any who are still waiting on orders that have since "sold out"
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:10 am

A lot of reports of this happening.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I happen to agree with that phrase but that is no reason to recklessly post information that kills the deal prematurely. A classic example would be the Amex GC thread!!!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
My order was placed on 2Jul. Tracking info shows it's due to arrive today, 15Jul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.