Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
What were you doing when you logged into your account from a foreign IP? I suspect that was the cause of the shutdown and not the fact that you were accessing your account from a foreign IP.
It may be that just logging in got the rats interested in your account and that put human eyes on it..
Since you no longer have on-line account access, I suspect that any points in your account have been lost. I would try mightily to move them if possible in some other way (go to an office, phone line) before the credit cards become useless.
It's Bilt. I still have access to the points and can still charge to it. Probably a contract with Bilt that WF has no control (they're just peons to Bilt) in this situation. Just no online access unfortunately.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:58 am

First time being shut down :

Citi Premier : 2 years old account, was buying GCs at the grocery store, big amounts were triggering fraud alerts (also 2 weeks ago at walmart during rakuten frenzy) which I had to clear by calling in every time. I guess this eventually triggered a human looking at my account who flagged my non kosher activities and got canned.
macast8061 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by la_cigogne

Citi Premier : 2 years old account, was buying GCs at the grocery store, big amounts were triggering fraud alerts (also 2 weeks ago at walmart during rakuten frenzy) which I had to clear by calling in every time. I guess this eventually triggered a human looking at my account who flagged my non kosher activities and got canned.
Do you have more than one card/account type with Citi. Reading posts like these over the years it seems banks usually go scorched earth and shut down all accounts. Wondering if Citi is the same.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:59 am

I've put $8-10K per month on my Premier via Gas and Grocery over the past 3 or so years and haven't had an issue, but I ramped up slowly the first 6-8 months and I've never gotten a fraud alert that I can't clear via text.

Sorry you got shut down mate.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:01 am

yes they usually do.

No I only had the citi premier open (previously had a business aa which I have closed).

Rep on the phone said that I was welcome to apply to citi credit cards in the future (and added that if I buy gift card again I will get shut down again) which makes me somehow hopeful that they just cancelled this account as opposed to me altogether as a client.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
yes they usually do.

No I only had the citi premier open (previously had a business aa which I have closed).

Rep on the phone said that I was welcome to apply to citi credit cards in the future (and added that if I buy gift card again I will get shut down again) which makes me somehow hopeful that they just cancelled this account as opposed to me altogether as a client.
Or else that is the standard line a rep is to tell people so that they don't blow off Citi completely in the future.
I guess you will find out when you apply for another CC. If you do, please let us know the outcome. As mentioned above, others such as Chase literally toss everything you did with the bank into the bonfire. It would be nice to know that Citi wasn't a Chase clone
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:10 pm

yes they usually do.

Unfortunately, it’s standard language about reapplying. Citi is almost impossible to get back in after being shutdown.
MaxVO, liw5215 and chaser123 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Clueless12
Unfortunately, it’s standard language about reapplying. Citi is almost impossible to get back in after being shutdown.
i guess his unasked question was whether all of his business at Citi would be terminated, or just the specific credit card account he mentioned.
I have not seen DPs for Chase-like behavior in torching everything at Citi, but maybe nobody has posted any.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
i guess his unasked question was whether all of his business at Citi would be terminated, or just the specific credit card account he mentioned.
I have not seen DPs for Chase-like behavior in torching everything at Citi, but maybe nobody has posted any.
I was torched at Citi (granted this was about 9-10 years ago, back in the good old days of the ~30% Citi Drivers Edge and 5% TYP cards)........and still haven't been able to get another Citi card since then. I think I had about 4 Citi cards at the time and they shut all of them at once.
renila, jmw, radonc1 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I was torched at Citi (granted this was about 9-10 years ago, back in the good old days of the ~30% Citi Drivers Edge and 5% TYP cards)........and still haven't been able to get another Citi card since then. I think I had about 4 Citi cards at the time and they shut all of them at once.
Good info, I was curious if they ever un-ban someone. I guess time to get married and have a P2 do my Shiti churning.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:34 pm

yes they usually do.

Curious on this, did you mention you were buying gift cards on the phone or was that just mentioned by the rep without you saying anything? I’m trying to scale up and hit the companion pass for Citi biz AA but don’t recall Citi ever getting L3 data.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dalmore62
Curious on this, did you mention you were buying gift cards on the phone or was that just mentioned by the rep without you saying anything? I’m trying to scale up and hit the companion pass for Citi biz AA but don’t recall Citi ever getting L3 data.
I felt like Citi and Cap1 get some sort of notification whenever I buy VGC or MCGC. Like whenever I used my citi premier or Savor 1 at Krogers to buy VGC or MCGC, I got fraud alert; however, I have no problem buying other gcs such as apple, delta gc for much more than $500 each time.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by berombeu
I felt like Citi and Cap1 get some sort of notification whenever I buy VGC or MCGC. Like whenever I used my citi premier or Savor 1 at Krogers to buy VGC or MCGC, I got fraud alert; however, I have no problem buying other gcs such as apple, delta gc for much more than $500 each time.
That may depend on a few things on why you kept getting fraud alerts. When I first got Barclays AA biz, the first few days were crazy, I even had $100 transactions declined. But after that it settled down where I’ve gotten back to back at Staples or Office Max without any issues. I had that with my Chase Freedoms also when I started using them at CVS but after a few transactions it doesn’t trigger anymore.

My main inquiry was about la_cigogne comment about the gift card from the CSR, whether that was just mentioned without them saying anything or did they mention they were buying gift cards.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by dalmore62
That may depend on a few things on why you kept getting fraud alerts. When I first got Barclays AA biz, the first few days were crazy, I even had $100 transactions declined. But after that it settled down where I’ve gotten back to back at Staples or Office Max without any issues. I had that with my Chase Freedoms also when I started using them at CVS but after a few transactions it doesn’t trigger anymore.

My main inquiry was about la_cigogne comment about the gift card from the CSR, whether that was just mentioned without them saying anything or did they mention they were buying gift cards.
Even now I have seasoning my citi premier and savor 1 with other purchases, but I got declined on the first tried occasionally when buying VGC/MCGC. Never have any problem buying other types of GCs.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 1:11 pm

My buddy recently told me that Chase shut down all the accounts of his significant other (SO). He's kinda been pushing the envelope with Chase, so he kinda saw it coming.

He shared a few possible reasons why it might have happened:
  1. Transferring UR points between accounts. He called Chase customer service to link his Ultimate Rewards account with his SO’s, even though they had different addresses. The rep went ahead, linked them, and even transferred 10k points for him. My friend was a bundle of nerves and even chatted about it on an online forum.
  2. Cashing out Membership Rewards through an AC account. This also seems like a big red flag. He cashed out a whopping 700k MR plus an additional 120k points from the card. It’s been a few months since he did this, but he's wondering if this is them getting back at him.
  3. Heavy purchasing activity. He was using his SO’s CSR card quite aggressively, which set off a fraud alert. His SO, not knowing what was going on, replied ‘no, I don’t recognize this charge’. Though they later called to say it wasn’t fraud, my friend thinks this might have led to someone manually reviewing the account, and maybe they noticed point 2.
  4. PPBP transactions. His last PPBP was just a day before the shutdown, so he's speculating if that’s related. But he thinks it shouldn’t be the case since it was a small amount and both PayPal and the card belonged to his SO. He mentioned that he has done way bigger transactions on his own without any issues.

Right now, the checking and savings accounts are still good, but all the credit cards, including business cards, are shut down. My buddy did manage to transfer the UR points to Hyatt before the shutdown. His SO isn't into the whole credit card points scene and didn't know half of what was happening, so they're not even going to try and get the accounts reinstated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.