Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
For Chase, I've read that it depends on the reason for the shutdown. If it was HEAVY MS on a lot of cards that can be longer. Light on a single or few cards, less.

What they call SUB abuse is different. Why was P2 shutdown?
Chase mostly bans people for abnormal spending because it is viewed as a credit abuse risk, not necessarily because you are farming points.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat. Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
DP...... I was shut down by chase back around late 2019 for what I am guessing to be MS. I have to phrase it this was because, I was, and they never gave me a reason. My MS was around 10K/month. They allowed my business card to stay open and I have not applied to all the offers I had been sent over the years for new cards. Decided to give it a try and apply for a Hyatt card and was approved. I would say this is about 3.5 years in Chase jail for me
Clueless12 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:22 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by edb55
DP...... I was shut down by chase back around late 2019 for what I am guessing to be MS. I have to phrase it this was because, I was, and they never gave me a reason. My MS was around 10K/month. They allowed my business card to stay open and I have not applied to all the offers I had been sent over the years for new cards. Decided to give it a try and apply for a Hyatt card and was approved. I would say this is about 3.5 years in Chase jail for me
New approval is not a problem. How long your new account will survive is another question. May be a month, 2 months, half a year or few years - nobody knows. Essentially, it will come to an end.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by TTT103
Keep your volume very low with Barclays. I hit the Wyndham card very hard, was never late with a payment, and never paid a cent of interest. Barclays slammed the door on me for life. It's been over six years and they still won't let me back. FICO is 840 and whenever I apply for a Barclay's card, it is denied immediately without even doing a hard pull. I've spoken to them a number of times without avail.
Really? I do over $200k/year each on Barclay's cards Never had an issue.

Last edited by Happy Traveling Consultant; Mar 5, 2023 at 9:16 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Really? I do over $200k/year each on Barclay's cards Never had an issue.
It may be that the actual amount of true travel charges you put on your Barclays card swamps the MSing activity you do as well.

A good customer generating a lot of fees for a card servicer may be allotted greater leeway than someone just doing MOs.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:52 am

Trying not to get banned...

I have two open chase freedom cards (3.5 decades old), biz united, Ink card, and checking/saving.
6-8 months ago closed sapphire, hyatt and two IHG (had sap 1yr old, others 5 yr old).
Was thinking of opening biz ink cash and/or unlimited but trying not to get banned by chase

how much is too much?

edit:
1) reduced credit limit on existing biz accounts by 15k yesterday in preparation for app today
2) now thinking that 2 biz apps in one day is too much. thinking only one biz card within 90 days to be safe w/ last one being 5 months ago

Last edited by flew-d-coop; Mar 15, 2023 at 10:01 am
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:27 am

I've been on the Chase naughty list since 2012. Every few years I will apply for 1-2 new Chase cards and about 75% of the time they are approved and they last roughly 2-6 months before getting shutdown again. I meet the minimum spend and get the big signup bonus before they shut my cards down. This round I applied for the 100k Chase Ink Preferred and the 90k Chase Ink Cash. Got the ~210k pts within 2 months, transferred them over to Hyatt, and now have been spending on the Ink Cash at Staples/OD to reach the $25k annual cap before my cards get shutdown. I got a letter last month that my cards will be closed in 60 days "because of your association with a Chase credit card, deposit, or investment acct that was previously closed". No big deal, was expecting this. However I was happily surprised to be given 60 days until shutdown. So I started hitting Staples/OD a bit harder since I got the letter. Anyways, I'm down to my final month until shutdown and have $6k left in spending towards my yearly $25k 5x cap. However I just re-read the letter from Chase and realize they will be closing my acct on the EXACT same day that my Ink Cash statement cuts.

Does anybody know if I'll be spending the final $6k in vain? Or will those 30k UR pts actually post to my acct? I should have paid a bit more attention to the closure dates and simply spent the final $6k last month. But since I didn't, I just wanted to check ppl's experiences in getting UR pts AFTER their Chase acct was closed (for spending BEFORE it was closed). The letter says I have at least 30 days from the date the account is closed to use my UR pts or I will lose them. Thx in advance if you have any personal experience with this!
Shadowsych likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I've been on the Chase naughty list since 2012. Every few years I will apply for 1-2 new Chase cards and about 75% of the time they are approved and they last roughly 2-6 months before getting shutdown again. I meet the minimum spend and get the big signup bonus before they shut my cards down. This round I applied for the 100k Chase Ink Preferred and the 90k Chase Ink Cash. Got the ~210k pts within 2 months, transferred them over to Hyatt, and now have been spending on the Ink Cash at Staples/OD to reach the $25k annual cap before my cards get shutdown. I got a letter last month that my cards will be closed in 60 days "because of your association with a Chase credit card, deposit, or investment acct that was previously closed". No big deal, was expecting this. However I was happily surprised to be given 60 days until shutdown. So I started hitting Staples/OD a bit harder since I got the letter. Anyways, I'm down to my final month until shutdown and have $6k left in spending towards my yearly $25k 5x cap. However I just re-read the letter from Chase and realize they will be closing my acct on the EXACT same day that my Ink Cash statement cuts.

Does anybody know if I'll be spending the final $6k in vain? Or will those 30k UR pts actually post to my acct? I should have paid a bit more attention to the closure dates and simply spent the final $6k last month. But since I didn't, I just wanted to check ppl's experiences in getting UR pts AFTER their Chase acct was closed (for spending BEFORE it was closed). The letter says I have at least 30 days from the date the account is closed to use my UR pts or I will lose them. Thx in advance if you have any personal experience with this!
I suspect that you will not have an account on the day of closure, which means that anything there will go boing in the night, including bonus points.

Think of it like a store. It says that it closes at nine. You arrive at nine and the door is locked. You're not going to get in,

I think you have been very lucky. However, I don't think you will get those last set of points since the account was closed. However, let us know how you fare.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:03 pm

Thx, that's what I suspected might happen. I just went into my acct settings online and moved the due date 4 days earlier, hoping that will also move my statement close date 4 days earlier. We'll see if that works.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by radonc1
It may be that the actual amount of true travel charges you put on your Barclays card swamps the MSing activity you do as well.

A good customer generating a lot of fees for a card servicer may be allotted greater leeway than someone just doing MOs.
LOL. Just saw this. No, in fact the only thing I used it for was SMVGC spend.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:48 am

LOL. Just saw this. No, in fact the only thing I used it for was SMVGC spend.
How about all your other travel cards?
If banks see that your monthly spend over all your cards, especially elite cards is in the five to six digit range, then they are far more lenient than if you have only one card getting five digit spends and the others having balances of $100/month.

Finally, businesses do 6 digit spends a year at Simon. My business has been using Simon for literally decades for gift card purchases for legit business reasons. No issues with Simon or our bank's credit card that pays for it..
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
How about all your other travel cards?
If banks see that your monthly spend over all your cards, especially elite cards is in the five to six digit range, then they are far more lenient than if you have only one card getting five digit spends and the others having balances of $100/month.

Finally, businesses do 6 digit spends a year at Simon. My business has been using Simon for literally decades for gift card purchases for legit business reasons. No issues with Simon or our bank's credit card that pays for it..
if the do that, then yes. I spend a few hundred thousand a year, mostly Chase and Amex.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Thx, that's what I suspected might happen. I just went into my acct settings online and moved the due date 4 days earlier, hoping that will also move my statement close date 4 days earlier. We'll see if that works.
Update: Moved my statement cut date 4 days earlier, then maxed out my $25k/year Ink Cash spend at Staples. Points all posted just fine on my new statement cut date, I transferred them all to Hyatt the next day, and shut my Chase Inks immediately (the day before Chase was scheduled to shut them on me). And I had my credit maxed out on this card and the card has a 0% intro promo fee for 12 months, so I will be sure to pay the minimum payment every month for the next 7 months. Thx Chase!!! Til next time.............
Old May 25, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
My Wells Fargo deposit accounts were closed because I was logging in "from too many foreign IPs". Wells Fargo Fraud Prevention Contact Center seemed pretty incompetent and said all my accounts (including credit cards) would be closed, but that looks like it's not the case since I can still spend on my card. Lost online account access though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old May 25, 2023, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by xfisgsm
My Wells Fargo deposit accounts were closed because I was logging in "from too many foreign IPs". Wells Fargo Fraud Prevention Contact Center seemed pretty incompetent and said all my accounts (including credit cards) would be closed, but that looks like it's not the case since I can still spend on my card. Lost online account access though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What were you doing when you logged into your account from a foreign IP? I suspect that was the cause of the shutdown and not the fact that you were accessing your account from a foreign IP.
It may be that just logging in got the rats interested in your account and that put human eyes on it..
Since you no longer have on-line account access, I suspect that any points in your account have been lost. I would try mightily to move them if possible in some other way (go to an office, phone line) before the credit cards become useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.