Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by eddieflyer
At K-mart, I had an issue where 2 VGCs were not refunded. After months of back & forth, I got 1, but not 2 of them refunded. Probably my fault as a cashier tried something I shouldn't have let him try.

At Wal-mart, I had an instance where the MO printed out but not handed to me. The cashier put it under the drawer. A senior guy accused me of lying, etc, but I was a regular and some other cashiers stuck with me. Finally got it, but didn't leave the store.

These things aren't always cut & dry. It does suck when noobs or heavy hitters kill the golden goose. Way it goes.
Ok Flyers. New here. I read through 65% of the 101 pg to include the wikipost in the beginning and still unsure of the process. Seem you have to get VGC first, turn to debit before going for MO. Can someone pm and provide an insight for this newbie. Got the prestige and CSR this month. TIA

Update: Disregard. After many more posts, I might have figured it out. Thanks

Last edited by rice4u; Nov 13, 2019 at 6:48 pm Reason: update
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by redtop43
I had one time that I figured out the glitch before leaving (the drawer would have been under) and explained it to the CSR, who called a CSM, who let me hand them the $500 they would have been short. Another time I didn't realize it until I got home but I went back that night and left them a note, and came back the next day to pay them the $500.
This is really a good thing - gets you in their good graces and builds a very good ongoing professional relationship with the CSR/CSM.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Any DPs for purchasing Walmart MOs in Philadelphia? I saw a post mentioning Wallys outside of Philly, but what about within the city? I believe there are a few such stores and would be good to know if anyone has experience with them?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by rice4u
Ok Flyers. New here. I read through 65% of the 101 pg to include the wikipost in the beginning and still unsure of the process. Seem you have to get VGC first, turn to debit before going for MO. Can someone pm and provide an insight for this newbie. Got the prestige and CSR this month. TIA
I suggest that you first understand the concept of manufactured spending.
Do NOT start with a narrow focus thread, such as this one. The process will make sense only after you've learned the concept.
Start here instead --> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...re-2019-a.html
deker0 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
The money does not always go back to the card.
this hasn't happened to me in the years of getting MO so that's new to me. However, the compounding of those issues and the supervisor always having to be called may have been the leading cause of the shutdown at my WM
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by deker0
Any DPs for purchasing Walmart MOs in Philadelphia? I saw a post mentioning Wallys outside of Philly, but what about within the city? I believe there are a few such stores and would be good to know if anyone has experience with them?
The suburbs and rural areas in PA are usually better for buying multiple MOs at once. If you are only buying one MO with one swipe of your debit card, you will generally be fine anywhere in Phila or suburbs.

Avoid Norristown and King of Prussia WMs - they consistently ask to see Gebit for anything more than one swipe. Rude, lazy employees also.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo
The suburbs and rural areas in PA are usually better for buying multiple MOs at once. If you are only buying one MO with one swipe of your debit card, you will generally be fine anywhere in Phila or suburbs.
Got it, will stick to one MO with one swipe. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by pao2dapao
this hasn't happened to me in the years of getting MO so that's new to me. However, the compounding of those issues and the supervisor always having to be called may have been the leading cause of the shutdown at my WM
Prome is right. Drawer pops open and receipt indicates what to do. I get $2k cash at least 1x/week.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:32 am

MO Refund experience

This is a little off topic, but I had a couple of VGC used then immediately refunded, that I was using at a local store (not WM) to purchase MO.

Clerks were being jerks ( I should have walked out).. but I decided to stay the course and make the attempt. Clerk noticed that I was using two different debit cards for the two transactions, and was very upset that I was somehow cheating since I only showed them my official bank debit card. If I was only buying one MO would have been fine, but... I wanted 3 $500 MO.

Told them I can only do $500/day on each debit card and they didn't care.

So.. they insisted that they take the first MO back, and refund that amount to the VGC, as well as doing the same thing for the second MO that processed completely and went through. I played it cool and just insisted that I get receipts for the refund transaction, which they provided, and I left.

Got home and checked VGC balance and found that both cards were no longer available to check online. Called the 800 number and got a lecture about how these cards are not refillable.. and I said that the purchase and immediate refund was a result of the vendor, not me. CSR continued with golly this is such a large amount ($500/card) that higher level folks will need to investigate and it will take several days.

Got better when he asked for my email and sent me a request that made clear, they just wanted copies of the original spend $500 transaction. Fortunately I had all the receipts for the purchase and refund so.. I scanned the two MO purchase receipts and replied with a JPEG image to the email request.

A few days went by and I got a follow up email indicating both cards were re-authorized and reloaded so all was well.

Lesson learned.. if the clerks are being jerks.. just buy one MO, or walk out. (Demanded to see Debit Card and ID then got manager who demanded to see exact same thing).

Second lesson learned, be sure you keep all paperwork for all transactions just in case anything goes wrong.

Third lesson learned.. keep you cool, and just let the clerks do whatever they want , as long as they provide paperwork that clearly documents each transaction.

Fourth lesson learned from the thread on folks getting banned at WM for MO purchase.. keep your transactions below $1000 and don't share your ID to purchase MO. Just tell them you left your ID in car if they ask and depart. Once you are in the "system" there is no telling what they will do with your information and getting shut down would make my limited MS much more difficult. Maybe we are on the way to just buy one MO per transaction and keep is simple but your MS is still breathing. Name in System... large dollar amounts... managers involved, no thanks.

Have fun
Walmart likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:18 am
ogg

Fourth lesson learned from the thread on folks getting banned at WM for MO purchase.. keep your transactions below $1000 and don't share your ID to purchase MO. Just tell them you left your ID in car if they ask and depart. Once you are in the "system" there is no telling what they will do with your information and getting shut down would make my limited MS much more difficult. Maybe we are on the way to just buy one MO per transaction and keep is simple but your MS is still breathing. Name in System... large dollar amounts... managers involved, no thanks.
But the national policy at WM is to allow one MO transaction anyway with ID always required over $1K--and has been for over a year now. If you're asked for ID and don't show one, you're acting suspicious. What do you gain by doing that? If you're not asked for ID, it won't matter whether you're in the WM/MG system or not--and it won't matter if you're banned or not. So the system knows your official photo ID. Where's the harm? WM/MG has many millions of such IDs in its records. What in the world do you think anyone is going to do with that info?

IMHO, this reluctance to provide ID when requested is just an irrational fear. Unless, of course, you've got your photo hanging on a wall somewhere as a wanted felon, or your ID is fake. But if you're a law-abiding citizen doing a perfectly legal task, why act like a criminal?
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ogg
But the national policy at WM is to allow one MO transaction anyway with ID always required over $1K--and has been for over a year now. If you're asked for ID and don't show one, you're acting suspicious. What do you gain by doing that? If you're not asked for ID, it won't matter whether you're in the WM/MG system or not--and it won't matter if you're banned or not. So the system knows your official photo ID. Where's the harm? WM/MG has many millions of such IDs in its records. What in the world do you think anyone is going to do with that info?

IMHO, this reluctance to provide ID when requested is just an irrational fear. Unless, of course, you've got your photo hanging on a wall somewhere as a wanted felon, or your ID is fake. But if you're a law-abiding citizen doing a perfectly legal task, why act like a criminal?

If the info isn't stored securely and gets picked up for misuse by someone else, it could mean being flagged down by government authorities and having a hassle you don't really want to have. Likely? Definitely not. Possible to be hassled because of it even as a non-criminal? Definitely.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:52 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by GUWonder

If the info isn't stored securely and gets picked up for misuse by someone else, it could mean being flagged down by government authorities and having a hassle you don't really want to have. Likely? Definitely not. Possible to be hassled because of it even as a non-criminal? Definitely.
It's possible to be hassled for anything at all. Ask yourself if it's more likely that you'll be hassled when you provide the requested photo ID than if you refuse to provide it. Then decide on your behavior.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ogg
It's possible to be hassled for anything at all. Ask yourself if it's more likely that you'll be hassled when you provide the requested photo ID than if you refuse to provide it. Then decide on your behavior.
Being hassled by a retail store employee so as to be denied a money order purchase is in a completely different league than that of being hassled by government reports over suspected money-laundering, tax evasion and other suspicious financial activity due to identity theft of sorts. And it happens. Guess which one is more of a problem when it hits.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:45 pm
ogg

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Being hassled by a retail store employee so as to be denied a money order purchase is in a completely different league than that of being hassled by government reports over suspected money-laundering, tax evasion and other suspicious financial activity due to identity theft of sorts. And it happens. Guess which one is more of a problem when it hits.
AFAIK, that's never happened because WM got a photoID from a money order purchaser. OTOH, those who purchase money orders without ID are much more likely to be reported. One reason to file a WM SAR is that the customer refused to provide photo ID. Your choice.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:56 pm

In summation..things are always changing..sometimes not for the better. Just compare my 2002 Sable with my shiny new 2019 Sonata 2.0 Turbo. Night and day. So we have to adjust with the times. Even though MG/WM said they will require ID for any MO over 100.00 that had not happened. I will just be getting 1 MO per WM and just make an extra weekly trip to try and stay even with my old volume. But we all will be doing less. Slow but sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.