Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danpeake
As of Nov 11, 2020, Meta gebits are getting declined when used for MO/BP purchases at MC/SD. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. READ the posts below and add a data point with details. USB and GD gift cards do not seem to be affected.

This is the thread for 2019. The previous discussion can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...rt-2018-a.html

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.

Note: The policy for allowing gift cards as payment for money orders can be more restrictive with certain stores or certain clerks. Just because an employee says there's a new restrictive policy "for all Walmarts" means nothing. There are plenty of cases where the employee is incorrect and the new policy is only regional or store specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit (gift debit) cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. See above on Visas issued by MetaBank. New limit appears to be $99 per swipe with some metas at some stores. Follow the posts below for the latest information.
3. MC issued by US bank OR Metabank MC (Giftcards.com) can work, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
4. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.(VGC issued by Sunrise also limited to $99/swipe, same as Metabank issued cards, and Sunrise was available immediately).
5. USB work
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually $1 each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for $1 x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transactions: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money. Kates are a distant and pleasant memory now.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

7. SSN/ID entry - Any MO purchases in one transaction at or over $3K requires you to input your SSN. Any MO at or over $1K requires ID input (and ID requirement can also be forced by cashier at any amount).

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080

​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by cpumechanic
This is a little off topic, but I had a couple of VGC used then immediately refunded, that I was using at a local store (not WM) to purchase MO.

Clerks were being jerks ( I should have walked out).. but I decided to stay the course and make the attempt. Clerk noticed that I was using two different debit cards for the two transactions, and was very upset that I was somehow cheating since I only showed them my official bank debit card. If I was only buying one MO would have been fine, but... I wanted 3 $500 MO.

Told them I can only do $500/day on each debit card and they didn't care.

So.. they insisted that they take the first MO back, and refund that amount to the VGC, as well as doing the same thing for the second MO that processed completely and went through. I played it cool and just insisted that I get receipts for the refund transaction, which they provided, and I left.

Got home and checked VGC balance and found that both cards were no longer available to check online. Called the 800 number and got a lecture about how these cards are not refillable.. and I said that the purchase and immediate refund was a result of the vendor, not me. CSR continued with golly this is such a large amount ($500/card) that higher level folks will need to investigate and it will take several days.

Got better when he asked for my email and sent me a request that made clear, they just wanted copies of the original spend $500 transaction. Fortunately I had all the receipts for the purchase and refund so.. I scanned the two MO purchase receipts and replied with a JPEG image to the email request.

A few days went by and I got a follow up email indicating both cards were re-authorized and reloaded so all was well.

Lesson learned.. if the clerks are being jerks.. just buy one MO, or walk out. (Demanded to see Debit Card and ID then got manager who demanded to see exact same thing).

Second lesson learned, be sure you keep all paperwork for all transactions just in case anything goes wrong.

Third lesson learned.. keep you cool, and just let the clerks do whatever they want , as long as they provide paperwork that clearly documents each transaction.

Fourth lesson learned from the thread on folks getting banned at WM for MO purchase.. keep your transactions below $1000 and don't share your ID to purchase MO. Just tell them you left your ID in car if they ask and depart. Once you are in the "system" there is no telling what they will do with your information and getting shut down would make my limited MS much more difficult. Maybe we are on the way to just buy one MO per transaction and keep is simple but your MS is still breathing. Name in System... large dollar amounts... managers involved, no thanks.

Have fun
FIFTH LESSON learned: If they MO has already printed, do NOT allow them to refund it and make you WAIT to get the refund... which may NEVER happen. If they let the transaction get that far, say "My bank told me the transaction is irreversible." (The only refund I would take is CASH - but would not tell the CSR that) I had that happen once - the transaction was complete, debit card debited, then printer jammed up and paper ran out before they could print. They gave me 1000 cash... which I walked over to the supermarket and easily got another MO with NO issues. You are not a bank, and once they commit to the transaction, and it goes to print, it is your right to call up the manager, if needed, since they told you "the rules" after the payment was tendered.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by ogg
AFAIK, that's never happened because WM got a photoID from a money order purchaser. OTOH, those who purchase money orders without ID are much more likely to be reported. One reason to file a WM SAR is that the customer refused to provide photo ID. Your choice.
AND what intelligence is collected by WM when no ID is provided? A picture from the video cam overhead?

You do not have to tell them anything, and can just walk out. Avoid the store for a few months, and they will forget about you.

Equifax, and other major bank databases already got hacked, and it will continue. It's only a matter of time before the names and related data from Moneygram gets hacked. Why share your info when it is NOT mandatory from the system (under $1K transactions). I had a clerk display discomfort when I asked for ONE $700 MO once, and clerk "forced" the system to request my DL and info. I told them I did not agree to share info with a database that may be unsecure, and walked out. Next time, different clerk, no questions, no DL for same MO amt.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fletchbo
I had that happen once - the transaction was complete, debit card debited, then printer jammed up and paper ran out before they could print. They gave me 1000 cash... which I walked over to the supermarket and easily got another MO with NO issues. You are not a bank, and once they commit to the transaction, and it goes to print, it is your right to call up the manager, if needed, since they told you "the rules" after the payment was tendered.
??? Ive had a printer malfunction numerous times and got the ca$h, what I dont get is why did you go to a sipermkt for a MO rather then deposit the cash and save the MO fee??
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
??? Ive had a printer malfunction numerous times and got the ca$h, what I dont get is why did you go to a sipermkt for a MO rather then deposit the cash and save the MO fee??
Because it is ingrained that a Gebit must turn into an MO... even though the Gebit is already liquidated albeit not thru the usual form...
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
In GA, went to a Walmart on Sunday, 11/17.

We both had our IDs locked out in Oct 2019. So we have to stay under $1,000.

I asked for $999.12 and did it with two swipes, no problem. No ID check.
Wife did the same, but the cashier said the computer asked for an ID check.

We said we'll just come back another time.

So perhaps it's completely random for when the system asks for ID checks under $1,000 now?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by swhang
So perhaps it's completely random for when the system asks for ID checks under $1,000 now?
I can second the "random" idea. Seems to be one particular WM in SD that almost always ask for an ID. But other WM's never ask for ID as long as < 1000.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by egypteys
I can second the "random" idea. Seems to be one particular WM in SD that almost always ask for an ID. But other WM's never ask for ID as long as < 1000.
What you're describing does not seem very random.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
What you're describing does not seem very random.
Well it seems random to me because i don't always get asked for an ID when making a MO less than 1000.

I guess is worth asking is it possible for a local WM to kinda flag one specific person to always (or at least most of the times) ask for an ID?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by egypteys
Well it seems random to me because i don't always get asked for an ID when making a MO less than 1000.

I guess is worth asking is it possible for a local WM to kinda flag one specific person to always (or at least most of the times) ask for an ID?
There is a button they can select to "force" the register to collect ID information. My WM says whenever someone uses "those card" they're trained to collect the info. Could be the case for you too.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:00 pm

Cool

AND what intelligence is collected by WM when no ID is provided? A picture from the video cam overhead?

You do not have to tell them anything, and can just walk out. Avoid the store for a few months, and they will forget about you.

Equifax, and other major bank databases already got hacked, and it will continue. It's only a matter of time before the names and related data from Moneygram gets hacked. Why share your info when it is NOT mandatory from the system (under $1K transactions). I had a clerk display discomfort when I asked for ONE $700 MO once, and clerk "forced" the system to request my DL and info. I told them I did not agree to share info with a database that may be unsecure, and walked out. Next time, different clerk, no questions, no DL for same MO amt.
+1

I know this attitude is quite old fashioned but as the customer of WM I feel that it is my right to agree or disagree with poorly trained often hostile and arrogant clerks.
And as clearly stated by OOG.. I am not doing anything remotely illegal, just pursuing a profitable hobby.
I recall an old saying

"The customer is always right."

There are 4 or 5 WM in near driving distance and 2 of them are no-go for MO in any amount since they insist on inspecting the card used to purchase the MO, and then insist that "you cannot use those cards to buy MO".
The other three that I frequent are staffed by different people on nearly every visit, and on rare occasions I will get grief... I just smile and say, very politely sorry, and depart.

Demanding me (the customer) to provide an ID when buying $998 one MO is not currently required and is unfriendly, and silly and I won't participate.
And I don't think saying oops.. my ID is in my car, and departing is creating a memorable scene , just expressing (politely again) my displeasure at jumping through hoops for ill trained clerks.

Ok.. all done

Like I said.. have fun out there.. and don't cheat lie or steal.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:24 pm

FIFTH LESSON learned: If they MO has already printed, do NOT allow them to refund it and make you WAIT to get the refund... which may NEVER happen. If they let the transaction get that far, say "My bank told me the transaction is irreversible." (The only refund I would take is CASH - but would not tell the CSR that) I had that happen once - the transaction was complete, debit card debited, then printer jammed up and paper ran out before they could print. They gave me 1000 cash... which I walked over to the supermarket and easily got another MO with NO issues. You are not a bank, and once they commit to the transaction, and it goes to print, it is your right to call up the manager, if needed, since they told you "the rules" after the payment was tendered.
Normally I would fully agree with your stated position. However.. this location had fully drained two $500 VGC and had handed over only one completed MO. I heard the second MO print, and at that point the clerk decided that I was somehow cheating by using > 1 different debit card and demanded that all of the transactions be cancelled and refunded. So he had $500 MO that was fully paid for, and I wasn't in the mood for arguing with clerk and escalating the situation.. I just smiled and said.. you know that I cannot debit > $500/day on my debit card, but he didn't care.

I learned long ago that if you are going to play the VGC>MO game to be polite and understanding and always agree that the clerks in the stores are 100% perfect and you are just a potential criminal that they are interrupting.. and god bless them for doing what they do all day. ( I would shoot myself if I had that kind of job).

So.. I just insisted that the refund receipts clearly showed that the digits of the VGCs were present, and clearly showed a full refund... and departed. After about a week and an simple email the the VGC vendor with the purchase receipts all worked out fine at least for my case.

Regards.. and have fun out there. I know I am.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:37 pm
ogg

I made things simple long ago. I'm a lousy liar, so I don't lie. I know my MS activites rely heavily on good relations with the few WM stores in my area, so I go overboard to be friendly and considerate, even when confronted by hostile, stupid, and ignorant CSRs. Most are nice friendly people; I enjoy being with them and talking with them. Fact is, WM's "official" requirements do not follow the law--there's no law requiring SSNs for buying money orders over $3K, or requiring photo ID over OR under $1K. Even in the good old days when I could buy 20 $1K MOs in one transaction, there was no law requiring a form to be filled out--the forms were only for currency transactions, not debit card transactions. Still, it's a lot easier to give them whatever paperwork they want and not make a fuss, so I do that.

I see how CSRs react to those who disrespect them or didn't do what the CSRs asked them to do. They remember. They treat them poorly. They say they are "uncomfortable" with a transaction and won't process it. Their supervisors will back them up--so a CSR has a right to decline any transaction. You can make a fuss and complain; you can even get that person fired if you work at it a little--but what kind of an evil person would you be if you did that to people who are working hard at a low-paid job and subjected to abuse from many of their customers all day long, forced to smile and thank them even when they want to kill them.

Be nice folks. It's not only the right way to behave--it's a good way to prolong your ability to do this crazy sort of activity.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Happy
Because it is ingrained that a Gebit must turn into an MO... even though the Gebit is already liquidated albeit not thru the usual form...
It's certainly easier to handle a $1,000 MO vs $1,000 cash in who knows what denominations.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by swhang
In GA, went to a Walmart on Sunday, 11/17.

We both had our IDs locked out in Oct 2019. So we have to stay under $1,000.

I asked for $999.12 and did it with two swipes, no problem. No ID check.
Wife did the same, but the cashier said the computer asked for an ID check.

We said we'll just come back another time.

Did your wife come right after you? It used to happen to us as well when they saw us together at one particular Walmart. They suspect 'structuring' by breaking up the two MO between two parties to avoid the ID check. They therefore asked for ID for the second person.

Now we can't go there at all because they don't accept GCs anymore .
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ogg
AFAIK, that's never happened because WM got a photoID from a money order purchaser. OTOH, those who purchase money orders without ID are much more likely to be reported. One reason to file a WM SAR is that the customer refused to provide photo ID. Your choice.
A Walmart-filed SAR without any photo ID-related information on file with UST is an intense problem for the attempting MO-buyer who didn't buy the MO? Are WM clerks reporting J. Doe to UST/FinCEN for a suspicious activity that didn't take place and saying it was done by some unknown person?

A SAR filed by some company employee who accepted and processed SARs with stolen/fraudulently-used real photo ID is is a more intense problem for a real person hit with a series of SARs based on fraudulently-used ID for questionable MO purchases than it is for a real person not hit with a series of SARs because their photo ID and name was never captured and never ended up available for misuse for questionable MO purchases or other activity.

Not trusting a retailer and their low-paid employees with protecting ID documents and their data is suspicious? Only in the world of suspect thinking at this point ... in a world where many innocent people have had problems with the UST/IRS because of misused ID being used to report income and activity that was not their own.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 19, 2019 at 5:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.