FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2019 - 2022)
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:24 pm
cpumechanic

Originally Posted by fletchbo
FIFTH LESSON learned: If they MO has already printed, do NOT allow them to refund it and make you WAIT to get the refund... which may NEVER happen. If they let the transaction get that far, say "My bank told me the transaction is irreversible." (The only refund I would take is CASH - but would not tell the CSR that) I had that happen once - the transaction was complete, debit card debited, then printer jammed up and paper ran out before they could print. They gave me 1000 cash... which I walked over to the supermarket and easily got another MO with NO issues. You are not a bank, and once they commit to the transaction, and it goes to print, it is your right to call up the manager, if needed, since they told you "the rules" after the payment was tendered.
Normally I would fully agree with your stated position. However.. this location had fully drained two $500 VGC and had handed over only one completed MO. I heard the second MO print, and at that point the clerk decided that I was somehow cheating by using > 1 different debit card and demanded that all of the transactions be cancelled and refunded. So he had $500 MO that was fully paid for, and I wasn't in the mood for arguing with clerk and escalating the situation.. I just smiled and said.. you know that I cannot debit > $500/day on my debit card, but he didn't care.

I learned long ago that if you are going to play the VGC>MO game to be polite and understanding and always agree that the clerks in the stores are 100% perfect and you are just a potential criminal that they are interrupting.. and god bless them for doing what they do all day. ( I would shoot myself if I had that kind of job).

So.. I just insisted that the refund receipts clearly showed that the digits of the VGCs were present, and clearly showed a full refund... and departed. After about a week and an simple email the the VGC vendor with the purchase receipts all worked out fine at least for my case.

Regards.. and have fun out there. I know I am.