Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by knopfler
Hit up two more on the way into work, all for 2k transactions. No required additional info. Friendly CSR at last stop said someone earlier bought $8k in one transaction (three swipes) and no additional info required for that either.
FOMO, where do I get VGC that big?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles

FOMO, where do I get VGC that big?
Probably multiple VGCs in a single transaction and not one giant VGC.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:30 pm

bought 8k today and had to fill out ancient paper form. Some overzealous CSR. Paper forms are no longer processed, it is supposed to be electronic only now.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by bworrell
One of my friendly walmart locations said they received an email yesterday that they wouldn't allow multiple swipes "in a few weeks". I'm guessing this was a store-specific email too.
Well I just came back from my friendly WM and I was told they are upgrading the system and it will not allow multiple swipes, but for now she is using her manager credential in order to do it. I didn't get the second receipt either. I haven't visited this WM since last Wed. In the worst case, I will have to go everyday for a $499.12 MO or do separate transactions.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Probably multiple VGCs in a single transaction and not one giant VGC.
Yes, it was three cards. CSR did not say (and probably did not know) what kind of cards they were.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:50 am

Made my normal first stop this morning. Seems like software has been updated. It took the friendly, long time CSR a while to find where MO was on the screen. But eventually it was found and a $2k total transaction with four swipes was placed, no additional info asked for.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
Made my normal first stop this morning. Seems like software has been updated. It took the friendly, long time CSR a while to find where MO was on the screen. But eventually it was found and a $2k total transaction with four swipes was placed, no additional info asked for.
so you did not get I'd? so what is the change? The location of financial services application?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:15 am

Any more data points today? Maybe the update happened last night. My 2K MO with 4 swipes worked fine Tuesday and I didn't have to give my information.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I've heard many reports that the change has happened in at least some part of the country.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I've heard many reports that the change has happened in at least some part of the country.
what kind of change in specifics have you received from your resources? thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: All of them
I just did 2K fine without any info. I'm trying to convince my local cashiers that since new memo doesn't discuss one transaction limit, they should just let me do up to 8K
Travelz likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by coolguy100
what kind of change in specifics have you received from your resources? thanks.
I've heard they are taking your information for buying $1k of MO, and that the system is blocking excessive bill pays.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by theseeker
so you did not get I'd? so what is the change? The location of financial services application?
Nope, did not get ID'd. I guess the location of Financial Services button either moved, changed it's wording or both. Same thing happened at my third stop. No ID required but took the long time CSR a minute to find where to find the MO option. Second stop asked for info, but they have been asking for this info for several months now (especially this CSR) so I believe it was manually CSR initiated.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
My norther IN WM BAU with wife and I each getting 2x $999.12s. Seems the memo may be regional or who knows. MS goes on as every other day.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I've heard they are taking your information for buying $1k of MO, and that the system is blocking excessive bill pays.
thanks. so they are updating the system to implement this memo gradually from regionally to the whole country......not good new to those heavy hitters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.