Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
That was me! :waves:
You are so smooth with the ladies!

Next time I see you there I'll make sure to introduce myself.
Java Cool Dude likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Las Vegas

Are there any WM's in Vegas that take GC's for MO/BP?

I used to do this there a few years ago, but that was then and this is now.

If you feel it would be indiscreet to post it publicly, PM me.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
You are so smooth with the ladies!

Next time I see you there I'll make sure to introduce myself.
Our store has now been officially nuked from orbit and only allows one swipe!
It was good while it lasted
Old May 31, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Our store has now been officially nuked from orbit and only allows one swipe!
It was good while it lasted
​​​​​​​A location would be helpful........
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
BAU East Bay, even at the store that was causing issues a week or two ago.

Simple 1 card = 1MO transaction. Not the fastest way to churn, but slow and steady seems to keep you in the race these days.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

A location would be helpful........
profile on desktop mode has his location as LA
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jtav559

Simple 1 card = 1MO transaction. Not the fastest way to churn, but slow and steady seems to keep you in the race these days.
which city?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
profile on desktop mode has his location as LA
There are at least 13 Walmarts within the city limits of LA, and many more in the surrounding area. The post was unhelpful without identifying the store.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

There are at least 13 Walmarts within the city limits of LA, and many more in the surrounding area. The post was unhelpful without identifying the store.
Why do they have to say which store was it? two users here were talking about the same store which is located in LAX, they don't need to tell you the store number/address/exact location. If you are from that area you will know there just a couple of WM that are GC friendly, and if you don't know the area, then you need to drive and try it. Do not expect spoon feeding of which store is the best or not, specially here in the public forum, where others can ruin it with a couple of visits.

Even if is not good at the moment, they may became GC friendly in a couple of weeks/months, unless they got MG Audit...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by briang191

which city?
San Leandro
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Why do they have to say which store was it? two users here were talking about the same store which is located in LAX, they don't need to tell you the store number/address/exact location. If you are from that area you will know there just a couple of WM that are GC friendly, and if you don't know the area, then you need to drive and try it. Do not expect spoon feeding of which store is the best or not, specially here in the public forum, where others can ruin it with a couple of visits.

Even if is not good at the moment, they may became GC friendly in a couple of weeks/months, unless they got MG Audit...
Don't bother posting if you aren't willing to actually convey any information that anyone can actually use. (Actually identifying a store that allows only one swipe is hardly "spoon feeding," or at all likely to "ruin it with a couple of visits." Let's get real here.)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
This isn't your father's FT anymore, things have changed in the past three years that I have been here.

Posting where here is as bad as reddit and it will surely die.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:42 pm

I wish people were not doing those 10K at a time MO purchases...they are killing it for themselves too, not just for others...I am currently in Midwest where things are not as bad as on the coasts and still every time I purchase 10K in VGCs from Simon, I go to 5 different WM do do 2K at a time...why attract the unnecessary attention to myself and to the store?...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
I wish people were not doing those 10K at a time MO purchases...they are killing it for themselves too, not just for others...I am currently in Midwest where things are not as bad as on the coasts and still every time I purchase 10K in VGCs from Simon, I go to 5 different WM do do 2K at a time...why attract the unnecessary attention to myself and to the store?...
1-2k is my norm, not sure what happened at my store in Bur!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by jtav559

This strategy works EVERY time for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.